The Witcher: 64 bit problem

Howdy gents.

I ordered a copy of The Witcher (Enhanced edition, if that even matters) and it came int he mail today. With glee, I popped it into my DVD drive and it came up with a message telling me that it can run the game on my OS, which is Windows 7 64 bit. Now, I have two questions: Is there a way to fix this or am I out of luck? And my drive makes a grunting/skipping sound and takes a little while to bring up anything....is it wearing out? (I assume the obvious answer is yes, but it could be some odd driver error or something of that nature.)

Thanks for any help, I'd like to get this sorted out as soon as I can. If y'all need any info on my specs, I'll provide them. :)
7 answers Last reply
More about witcher problem
  1. Quote:
    message telling me that it can run the game on my OS, which is Windows 7 64 bit


    It can or cant? More than likely it is a driver error.
  2. Can't* Sorry about that.

    I'll try and find the driver error -- Windows Problem Detection whatever service didn't find anything, but I'll try ad get an update for that DVD rom.
  3. Strange. The Witcher works just fine on my machine and it's Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

    As for your drive making the funny sound, that's definitely a sign that it's probably about to die. However, I would go in and make sure that all the connectors are not loose. If that doesn't fix it, I would suggest backing up your important data quickly and getting a new drive as well.
  4. isamuelson said:
    Strange. The Witcher works just fine on my machine and it's Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

    As for your drive making the funny sound, that's definitely a sign that it's probably about to die. However, I would go in and make sure that all the connectors are not loose. If that doesn't fix it, I would suggest backing up your important data quickly and getting a new drive as well.


    I know this is off topic, but seeing your rig isamuelson - I was wondering if you could give me a recommendation on a rig I was looking at buying.

    http://tinyurl.com/335utwr - this one looks almost identical to yours as of now - I was wondering how your gaming was going - any problems with present games - especially the witcher - I have a e6600 - 4 gb ram - 1tb drive- 4670 radeon as of now and I was wondering how much better this system would be.

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2ueytj2

    This is the other system I was looking at and it would definitely need a gfx card update.

    Any help would be appreciated.
  5. Aragornmg,

    I don't know about the Intel box, but the AMD is close to mine except it has a 5770 which should definitely help out.

    I'm playing games like GTA IV. Now, I did overclock my machine and gpu, so that helps out as well. With the AMD, that's not a black edition, so it's not as easy to OC, but it can be done.

    Overall, when I go to http://www.yougamers.com/ and check out my machine on the latest games, they pretty much tell me that I can run it at medium to high settings for even the latest games.

    Since the machine you're looking at is an Athlon as opposed to a Phenom (like me), there might be some drop off from, but usually, it hasn't been much if at all for most tests. And, since you have a 5770 in it, that will help as well.

    Can't really help on the Intel as I'm not familiar with them, but usually, they out perform Athlons and Phenoms but at a higher price.

    Still, for about $30 more, the Intel might be the better buy here.
  6. isamuelson said:
    Aragornmg,

    I don't know about the Intel box, but the AMD is close to mine except it has a 5770 which should definitely help out.

    I'm playing games like GTA IV. Now, I did overclock my machine and gpu, so that helps out as well. With the AMD, that's not a black edition, so it's not as easy to OC, but it can be done.

    Overall, when I go to http://www.yougamers.com/ and check out my machine on the latest games, they pretty much tell me that I can run it at medium to high settings for even the latest games.

    Since the machine you're looking at is an Athlon as opposed to a Phenom (like me), there might be some drop off from, but usually, it hasn't been much if at all for most tests. And, since you have a 5770 in it, that will help as well.

    Can't really help on the Intel as I'm not familiar with them, but usually, they out perform Athlons and Phenoms but at a higher price.

    Still, for about $30 more, the Intel might be the better buy here.


    Thanks so much for your input- I will try the yougamers.com with the specs from the machines
  7. Actually, you have to already have the machine to see where it ranks because it runs an assessment of your machine (cpu, memory, gpu) to see how well it will run a particular game.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games Product