Which mobo will have the longest life?

Rouse713

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
I am in the market for a new computer. I plan to probally use only one video card at a time (Nvidia cards). I was still thinking of an Asus A8N SLI premium 939pin, even though I don't plan to use SLI, because the board looks good. I want this comp to last a while, so I am getting the "new" PCIe interface and an AMD 64 so I can upgrade to Windows 64 bit when it becomes popular. However, AMD does not support DDR2 memory. Do you think it is worth getting the Intel LGA 775 socket since it seems the 939 socket will be outdated soon, but intel does not support 64bit Windows. Which is more important for the lifespan of the computer, DDR2 or support for windows 64bit + AMD future support for dual core 939 pin? Thanks

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Go with a 939 Socket. Maybe a Asus A8NE? The dual core upgrade will be the life saver for saving money down the road. I don't think the SLI headaches are worth the trouble. Aim for a single card solution. Don't bother with 64 bit Windows right now. I am running it now on a test system and having lots of trouble with it. It's nto ready for mainstream use yet.

endyen

Splendid
I am not suggesting you buy Intel. Thier chips run too hot, and they will be changing socket again soon anyhow. Just for information sake though, the 600 series and 800 series chips do suipport win64.
As far as current DDR2 goes, it's not worth thinking about. It's still a little too slow latency wise, and too much price wise. Besides, the on die memory controller on A64s is the best thing to happen to memory since dual channel.

Rouse713

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
Ok, wow, I almost changed my configuration for my new system. I was worried that DDR2 would become mainstream and DDR would be phased out within a year or two. I want the computer to last at least 3-4 years. I am getting a AMD 64 3500, gigabyte 6600GT VP, and 1024 RAM. I will upgrade the ram, video card, and maybe go to dual core if it is still supported on the 939 pin mobo's. I just don't want to have to get a new mobo because AMD is going to socket 2M. But if you guys say that DDR2 isn't anything to worry about, and the 939 socket will still be OK 3-4 years from now (with a dual core processor) and PCIe will still be around. I like the SLI mobo however (even with only one card) because of the heatsink and no crappy ASUS fans. Thanks

I guess I can't worry about what new socket will come out 2 years from now, because then if I am waiting for the latest technology, I will never get a computer since they are allways coming out with new sockets :)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rouse713 on 07/30/05 04:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
I was worried that DDR2 would become mainstream and DDR would be phased out within a year or two.
In a year, DDR2 will reach 600 plus speeds, with cas 2.5, and lower prices than DDR. DDR will be like DDR333 is now. Socket M2 will use DDR2.
Starting next year, chips will start getting better, again.
This is a stagnant time for computers, so parts bought now, will last longer than normal.
That does not change the most simple fact. A 4 year old computer has always been, and will probably always be really outdated.

Rouse713

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
Well, I would really like to have socket M2 now, since I like AMD. However, if DDR2 will become mainstream, I would like to choose that. I read in the post above that Intel is going to switch sockets soon anyways. I thought LGA 775 was here to stay. I guess my question is, would a socket 775 Pentium 4 540J 3.2E be the better choice over the DDR1 supporting AMD in terms of lifespan and upgradability?

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Intel switches sockets as often as tweens switch crashes. As they are a whole-package provider, giving both CPUs and chipsets, they can get away with it, and use it as a business strategy to keep people from being able to upgrade and forcing them to get new mobo's along with new CPUs.

Expecting to be able to significantly upgrade a computer after any period beyond 2 years is unrealistic. That's just the way computers work. As for DDR or DDR2, as people have said, you don't get a boost from DDR2 until you reach the speeds greater than 600MHz as the latencies just aren't at DDR standards. However, there's the larger push to DDR2 thanks to intel, so over the next 6 months, you should probably expect to see DDR prices and performance to stay constant while DDR2 is only going to get cheaper and better. After that, you'll see a slow rise in DDR prices as manufacturers pull back production in favor of DDR2 and reserve stocks falls.

I expect that the DDR vs. DDR2 market in 2 years time will be at about the same place that SDRAM vs. DDR is right now. So you'll just have to decide whether you want to get your new system now, or wait for the 8+ months before M2 becomes available to retail markets.