Sign in with
Your question

Noisy Chipset Fan- NF7-S

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2005 11:16:38 AM

Hi folks.I haven't been here for aaaaaaaaaages.Nice to see some things stay as you left them!

Now then, my problem is pretty much explained by the subject of this post.I have had my Abit NF7-S (v1.0) for about 2 and a half years but the chipset fan has suddenly got extremely noisy this past week.The noise level dies down to an almost bearable one at times but it generally sounds like an old steam train phut-phutting along.I have checked it for dust and given it a thorough clean but to no avail.
Does this mean that the fan is dying and that I ought to replace it?If so, can anyone recommend a replacement which I can get cheaply (in the UK)?Does the nforce 2 SPP particularly need active cooling or could I get a passive cooler, such as <A HREF="http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=71&cod..." target="_new">this one</A> and still safely overclock?

This has happened at a particularly annoying time since I was just thinking about selling the board and upgrading to socket 939!I can't really sell it if it is this noisy and if the fan is indeed about to die, but if I replace the fan daft ebayers will think I have modified the board and steer clear!Oh well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

More about : noisy chipset fan nf7

a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 3:41:30 PM

Sounds like the chipset fan is just worn out making all that noise why don't you just replace it with a new chipset fan to stay on the safe side, the fanless heatsink still needs some kind of airflow to take the heat away and usually gets it from the CPUs cooling fan overspill.

If you decide to go to a fanless chipset on a M/B that came with a fan be positive theres enough case airflow or CPU fan airflow to get some air to it or after a certain point the heatsink gets as hot as the chipset.

Fanless H/S is a good theory but without airflow and OCing I wouldn't do it!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Puter</A>
July 30, 2005 4:50:27 PM

Thanks for your advice.The airflow in my case is pretty good- I have four 80mm fans, 2 front 2 back- but I might still go for the hs+fan option.I've been looking on ebay since most online stores charge as much for postage as the hs/fan costs; most of the chipset heatsinks with fans do not seem to attach to the mb via the two mounting holes, and instead just use thermal pads-do you think these can be relied upon to keep the hs/fan attached if I move my pc around a lot?One of the main things drawing me to that Zalman fanless heatsink I linked to above was that it uses the mounting holes.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2005 10:49:08 PM

Well I'm currently running at 210MHz (420 DDR)- do you think the Zalman could handle it?

July 30, 2005 11:49:45 PM

Jeez- I've clearly been away from the ocing community for a while!Socket A Athlons weren't doing 252MHz FSB last time I was here!Thanks for the info.
My VDD is at 1.6V so I'll maybe give the Zalman a try.

August 1, 2005 2:58:46 AM

Even at 333MHz FSB..if case's air-flow is good..I run mine without fan running at 333MHz fsb..no problem so far, chipset remains around 30C..
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2005 9:27:30 AM

If you can get to the backside of the fan, you should be able to find a sticker, remove it, and oil the fan bearing. You'll have to remove the fan from the sink first, if that's possible.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 2, 2005 2:20:52 PM

I bought myself that Zalman fanless heatsink linked to above, plus I replaced my Thermaltake Volcano 7+ cpu hs/fan with a cheap Thermalright ALX800 and a YS-Tech silent 80mm fan.It all arrived this morning and my pc is now gently purring,despite the five 80mm fans in it!Hooray for silent fans and fan controllers!The temps are lower than before and the overlap of the new CPU fan is cooling the NB heatsink nicely.
Thanks for your help everyone.

August 2, 2005 9:53:09 PM

Incredibly cheap in fact-especially for the UK!
£5.82 from <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue..." target="_new">Overclockers.co.uk</A>.Great deal as far as I'm concerned.
Not sure where you are located but if in the UK then you couldn't do better than that!

August 3, 2005 3:16:24 AM

International Shipping!
!