Computer won't post

deak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Ok, This happend a couple of weeks ago. Only now do i have the time to fix it. I moved my computer to a new room in the house set everything back up and the computer worked great. The next day I go to power up the computer, everything powers up but it does not post. Previous to this i had a cheap power supply which I later found out to be the source of a lot of my problems system was always unstable. I put a new psu and the machine ran really good never crashed (even tried to make it crash several times). So I swapped back psu to see if that one was messed up. No change. I know it's either the CPU or mobo Its an ASUS p5gdc-v deluxe mobo with a 3.4g pentium chip(socket t) I don't know anyone who is running that type of cpu. If I did I would just take it out and put it in theirs. If it worked the mobo is screwed and I would just get a new one. So any ideas as to what it is cpu or mobo. Or am I missing something simple?

TIA
Deak

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
make sure all the cables are attached...start with the simplest stuff first. also, try reseating the memory...perhaps when you moved it something got jarred loose...that would be my guess. just hope that something in the hard drive wasn't bumped around too much.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

deak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I was under the impression until the computer posted, it didn't even check for a hard drive....Now if it didn't boot after posting i would suspect a bad hdd

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
You're right. I would take his other suggestion to try checking your cables/reseating the memory.
If that doesn't help, in most of my experience and in IMO, it's usually the motherboard that has a higher chance of failing than the CPU. I may not be totally correct on that statment, but that's usually been the case when something like that has happened to me.

Tavis Curry

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
does it beep when you first boot up.

If it does record if the beeps are long and short, what order, and how many.

You can look up beep codes on the internet.

If the computer isnt posting at all I would say your problem is in your motherboard or your BIOS, seeing that your BIOS is responsible for doing the POST.

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
crap...I forgot all about the beep codes and I've used them so much.....
You're exactly right man.
Just note what type of BIOS you have (AMI, Award, Pheonix are the most common). If it does beep more than once, do like he said and record the number of beeps (long and short if applicable), then hit up Google and basically just type "AMI beep code" for example. I always find the answer doing that.

Tavis Curry

deak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Like I said it will power up like normal, but just run and will not post. it would always beep once and then boot up before this happened. Icould let it run lie this for 20 minutes and nothing happens.

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
can you even enter the BIOS? If you cant enter the bios then your having some sort of mobo issue. If the BIOS is bad you will probably have to buy a new board, I dont think you can just buy the BIOS chips and swap them anymore.

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition