Valorum

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
My current PC is a P4 2.53Ghz with 1GB of RAM and an ATI 9700 Pro video card. The motherboard is an Intel D845EBT, nothing too fancy, but nothing too shabby either.

I play games (Battlefield, Unreal, Star Wars stuff, Warcraft etc) casually. I like eye candy, so i try to crank up all the games' display settings as high as possible.

Now with the newer games i feel like i need to up my system a bit. In Battlefield 2 for example i can't really crank stuff up anymore without getting low FPS.

I don't need top-of-the-line stuff. I want a good bang-for-the-buck compromise.

I think that the video card is probably where i should spend most of the upgrade bucks.

I came across a deal where i can get a hold of a refurb ATI X800 XT Platinum Edition AGP 256MB with 3yr ATI warranty for about $226 shipped, which is not bad at all (they go new for $400 or so). So i figured i'll jump on that deal.

My current mainboard's AGP slot is only 4x. So i should really upgrade my mainboard to something a little more suitable as well. Question is though: what should i upgrade to? And if i upgrade the mainboard, i probably also need to upgrade the CPU.

Problem is, i only casually kept up with the hardware developments over the past 2 years or so. So i don't know the ins and outs of the different sockets and chipsets and brands etc. I've tried to read a lot on THG, but it's a bit overwhelming.

So this is where your infinite wisdom comes in :)

My budget is probably about $250 or so. I was hoping that for that money i can upgrade to a decent mobo + CPU and perhaps some new RAM as well. (I'd like to use my current mobo+cpu+ram to upgrade another computer in the household.)

What would you recommend i upgrade to? (I'm not married to Intel. AMD would be fine with me.) Is my choice to jump on that ATI deal and then upgrading my mobo+cpu to match a good way to go, or can i do better? (Like buying a Dell or something.. ;)

Barebones kits are ok. If possible, i'd like GigE LAN on-board. Would you recommend any of TigerDirect's barebones kits? Are there other stores i should look at instead? I don't mind ordering through Pricewatch.com for example. I just don't know which sockets and CPUs i should even look at / consider.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Valorum

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
Performance wise you will not loose much if any performance by using AGP 4x instead of 8x at all.
Really? I was under the assumption (hah, that'll teach me) that it would be fair difference.

I already ordered the video card, 3 weeks lead time during which i can still cancel if i come up with a better idea. Maybe i'll just stick that card into my current system for now and then later on i'll upgrade the mobo+cpu if it is warranted.

I was kinda imagining that upping my CPU to say an Athlon 64 or so would benefit gaming. I'm not sure how much though. Think my 2.53Ghz P4 is fine for now?

Thanks!