My new month thoughs about motherboards ..

pat

Expert
I was reading a bit about newer CPU that are on their way. While it is good, there is something that I thing it is wrong.

Right now, unless specialized task in real time simulation needs, we can all agree that modern CPUs are fast enough for current task. But all the others major components are lagging behind miserably. Maybe the exception being video card. But chipset, RAM and storage devices are really showing their age.

No matter how fast is the CPU, having to wait for data from RAM and storage devices kill the performance badly. Why do we still have to use slow IDE drives. This technology is old, slow and inefficient. Isnt about time to set a new storage technology that will be faster, and much more efficient? Something that will go beyong SCSI. And that could be used for high end server as well as low end desktop computer. This could even help to lower the cost. The SATA interface is able to go way faster that it is used now. And it could be way faster coupled with a newer controller and drive technology. But nothing is in the talk seriously as far as I know.

Why? because the hype is all about the CPU now. So, there is no pressure for improvement in that area. What if, instead of increase the level of detail in a game graphics, developpers would increase the level of detail in game, period. That would means much more object and texture to be loaded for each level and and during game play. This can simply not be achieved with current motherboard technology.

Current motherboard and storage devices for desktop users can only, on an averagge, transfer data at about 55-60 MB/s. To get something decent, we need at least 10 time that speed to keep up with current CPU processing speed. This kind of performance will put a lot of pressure to RAM, as it will be asked much more as it is asked now. So will be the motherboard chipset. And the whole system too.

I have to say that, while some are excited at newer dual core performance, I'm a bit dissapointed seeing all that performance some kind of wasted by sub par component. I cannot imagine having fast CPU being run on some obsolete technology. But this is the case right now. Just like video card. While they give us high FPS, I'm still waiting for maybe less FPS (hey, 50 is enough...) but awsome detail and image realism.. No more blocky characters, or look alike textured object. Or entrance blocked by a small stone that can be climbed on by a 5 years child but not by a hero that is going to save the world.. I want to be able to get lost in a game, because I took the bad road, just like it can be achievied in real life. Do current technology allow that? no. because people still buy FPS that are benchmarked in such low res that nobody even use. But that give high number. An that what it take to sell a product.

Until something really new hjappen, you wont see me exited here. Some are raving about ATI newer chipset. So what? It is still a simple chipset that do the same thing that the other do, whitout being signyfically faster or slower. Oh... it allow for some good overclocking!! Why dont they make it running this fast stock? Because a board that could be running at .. let say, 280 FSB stock, wont overclock well, and will look like a looser if it can achieve only a 20 MHz FSB overclock compared to a 200 that can achieve an amazing 80 MHz overclock... WOW.. but at the end, which one will be faster.. It is all about number. Big number. Quiz question: Which bus will make the processor perform better: The 1000MHz HTT bus or the 1 GHz HTT bus that is found on AMD 64 motherboard???

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I guess things aren't that easy, if it's that easy to develop new technology, I guess we would already have sth like Ultra ATA1000, Athlon128 4000K+, Pentium X 5000GHz, nVidia GeForce 80k, ATI Radeon 2X8k...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
The situation isn't going to get better as long as we keep relying on spinning disks to store our information. The mechanical aspect needs to be ditched before we can get really noticeable speed increases. The only ways to get data out of a disk more quickly are to either make it spin faster, or pack more data into a tighter space. The former means more noise and lower MTBF, the latter (I would guess) probably has a bad effect on yields, and possibly reliability too....

We're effectively at the limits of that storage technology. Sure it can be pushed further, but if it sounds like a buzzsaw and takes your head off when it dies and explodes at 50,000RPM, I don't think there'll be that much demand for it.. :eek:

We need affordable solid-state disks. Thinking in terms of size, you could obviously fit hundreds of 1GB SD CArds into the space a single 3.5" hard disk takes up. Obviously it'd be horribly expensive, but it's only cost that prohibiting this sort of thing appearing in the market.

Could you imagine that? a Solid-state SATA disk that actually <i>can</i> deliver 150Mb/s...

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hell, I'd buy one just to see it explode! Would add a whole new thrill to the windows (R) experience - your computer might decapitate you at any moment! :lol:

An extra page in the manual:
"If your computer suffers a crash and starts to make grinding noises, GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR IMMEDIATELY (preferably behind some thick concrete). This is for your own safety."

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

G

I think that with a 3.5" disk spinning at 50k rpm, the outter rim would spin much faster than the speed of sound, someone should do the math, but it would be crazy fast probly getting toward speed of light

muhahah

so yes, solid state to the rescue =Þ

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
This was a bit ruff 'n' ready, so if anyone spots a gaping hole in my working, feel free to call me on it. :smile:

ok.. how big's an actual HDD platter? We'll call it 8cm for our purposes.

8cm=80mm

Circumference of 80mm Disk =
3.141592654 x 80 = 251.32741232mm

distance travelled by a point on the outside of the disk, in one minute =
251.32741232 x 50,000 = 12,566,370.616mm
= 12,566.370616M
= 12.566370616kM

distance in 1 hour = 12.566370616 x 60 =
~754Km/h

The speed of sound (in air) is around 1,225.1kM/h.

So it would be around 61% of the speed of sound at the edge of the disk.

[/Completely pointless waste of time]

$hit me, I'm bored today... :eek:

---

pat

Expert
What about a controller that could use 2 SATA channel for 1 HDD, and with an even number of platter, data could be splitted, just like RAID between platter, so data could be sent twice as fast as normal. I know it is not pratical right now, but could easily be done...

RAIDed drives platters© 2005

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
1 inch = 2.54 cm

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Couldn't be arsed to dismantle a HDD, so I guesstimated 80mm for a platter.

2.4" is only just over 60mm anyhoo... So the speed would be probably nearer half the speed of sound using that figure. (actually doing <i>work</i> at work today :eek: , so can't be arsed to re-calculate..)

---