Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ringtone download security

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 4, 2004 5:48:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Some websites seem to offer free ringtones- but you have to enter your phone
number and apparently they d/l right to your phone.

If you do that, do you start to get spam bombed with text messages, etc.
since you have to give your phone number?

Dan'l.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2004 7:45:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I always download to my computer first and then email the ringtone to my
phone.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6Jj_c.4551$Wv5.3707@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Some websites seem to offer free ringtones- but you have to enter your
phone
> number and apparently they d/l right to your phone.
>
> If you do that, do you start to get spam bombed with text messages, etc.
> since you have to give your phone number?
>
> Dan'l.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 6, 2004 3:01:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:YO6dnUWvRKxz56bcRVn-rA@comcast.com...

>> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:6Jj_c.4551$Wv5.3707@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> Some websites seem to offer free ringtones- but you have to enter your
> phone
>> number and apparently they d/l right to your phone.
>>
>> If you do that, do you start to get spam bombed with text messages, etc.
>> since you have to give your phone number?
>>
>> Dan'l.

>I always download to my computer first and then email the ringtone to my
> phone.
>
> David R. Goyer
>


Neat solution- but how do you d/l directly to your computer? The ringtone
sites I've looked out don't seem to offer that as an option-- or am I
missing something?

Dan'l.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 6, 2004 3:17:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

If you are using IE and can sample the ringtone there will be a file for the
ringtone in the Temporary Internet Files folder. Just copy this file to
another location and do whatever you want with it. If there are a lot of
files in the Temp folder, I just select all and delete them, then go back
and sample again.

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:yVM_c.7489$Wv5.5014@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:YO6dnUWvRKxz56bcRVn-rA@comcast.com...
>
> >> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:6Jj_c.4551$Wv5.3707@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >> Some websites seem to offer free ringtones- but you have to enter your
> > phone
> >> number and apparently they d/l right to your phone.
> >>
> >> If you do that, do you start to get spam bombed with text messages,
etc.
> >> since you have to give your phone number?
> >>
> >> Dan'l.
>
> >I always download to my computer first and then email the ringtone to my
> > phone.
> >
> > David R. Goyer
> >
>
>
> Neat solution- but how do you d/l directly to your computer? The ringtone
> sites I've looked out don't seem to offer that as an option-- or am I
> missing something?
>
> Dan'l.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 6, 2004 9:06:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Daniel,

I can only speak for eringers.com as that is the site I use. First I do the
"quick login" then click the "browse ringtones" link. Find the song you
want and choose "click to preview" if you want to listen to it first. This
is important, when you have decided on the song that you want, click on the
name of the song not the "click to preview" button. Enter a name for the
ringer, make sure that the "email ringer URL to cell phone" box is not
checked, choose your ringer format (I use Midi), then download ringer, then
click the small link "My tones", then click on the URL, my Windows Media
Player opens up and the ringer plays, click save media as and save it to a
convenient location. The final step is to email it to your phone as an
attachment.

Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but I do it all of the time and it
becomes quicker.

David R. Goyer




--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:yVM_c.7489$Wv5.5014@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:YO6dnUWvRKxz56bcRVn-rA@comcast.com...
>
> >> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:6Jj_c.4551$Wv5.3707@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >> Some websites seem to offer free ringtones- but you have to enter your
> > phone
> >> number and apparently they d/l right to your phone.
> >>
> >> If you do that, do you start to get spam bombed with text messages,
etc.
> >> since you have to give your phone number?
> >>
> >> Dan'l.
>
> >I always download to my computer first and then email the ringtone to my
> > phone.
> >
> > David R. Goyer
> >
>
>
> Neat solution- but how do you d/l directly to your computer? The ringtone
> sites I've looked out don't seem to offer that as an option-- or am I
> missing something?
>
> Dan'l.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 7, 2004 4:03:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Nu-dnWnACeXVQqHcRVn-rw@comcast.com...
> Daniel,
>
> I can only speak for eringers.com as that is the site I use. First I do
> the
> "quick login" then click the "browse ringtones" link. Find the song you
> want and choose "click to preview" if you want to listen to it first.
> This
> is important, when you have decided on the song that you want, click on
> the
> name of the song not the "click to preview" button. Enter a name for the
> ringer, make sure that the "email ringer URL to cell phone" box is not
> checked, choose your ringer format (I use Midi), then download ringer,
> then
> click the small link "My tones", then click on the URL, my Windows Media
> Player opens up and the ringer plays, click save media as and save it to a
> convenient location. The final step is to email it to your phone as an
> attachment.
>
> Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but I do it all of the time and it
> becomes quicker.
>
> David R. Goyer
>

OK, thanks, I did all that and see the email on my phone with <filename.mid>
as the last thing in the email.

But I don't see anything in the LG VX10 phone menus (or manual) that says
where to go from here to install it as a ringer option. Any ideas?

Dan'l.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 7, 2004 4:03:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You should be able to just give it a name and save it. The when you go into
Menu-settings-sounds-ringers-caller ID it should show up as an option to
choose.

David



--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hV6%c.8725$Wv5.897@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> "David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:Nu-dnWnACeXVQqHcRVn-rw@comcast.com...
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I can only speak for eringers.com as that is the site I use. First I do
> > the
> > "quick login" then click the "browse ringtones" link. Find the song you
> > want and choose "click to preview" if you want to listen to it first.
> > This
> > is important, when you have decided on the song that you want, click on
> > the
> > name of the song not the "click to preview" button. Enter a name for
the
> > ringer, make sure that the "email ringer URL to cell phone" box is not
> > checked, choose your ringer format (I use Midi), then download ringer,
> > then
> > click the small link "My tones", then click on the URL, my Windows Media
> > Player opens up and the ringer plays, click save media as and save it to
a
> > convenient location. The final step is to email it to your phone as an
> > attachment.
> >
> > Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but I do it all of the time and it
> > becomes quicker.
> >
> > David R. Goyer
> >
>
> OK, thanks, I did all that and see the email on my phone with
<filename.mid>
> as the last thing in the email.
>
> But I don't see anything in the LG VX10 phone menus (or manual) that says
> where to go from here to install it as a ringer option. Any ideas?
>
> Dan'l.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 7, 2004 5:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:hV6%c.8725$Wv5.897@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> "David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:Nu-dnWnACeXVQqHcRVn-rw@comcast.com...

>> OK, thanks, I did all that and see the email on my phone with
> <filename.mid>
>> as the last thing in the email.
>>
>> But I don't see anything in the LG VX10 phone menus (or manual) that says
>> where to go from here to install it as a ringer option. Any ideas?
>>
>> Dan'l.


"David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:VcCdnVyofMopkqDcRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> You should be able to just give it a name and save it. The when you go
> into
> Menu-settings-sounds-ringers-caller ID it should show up as an option to
> choose.
>
> David

The file is just text in the message, not an attachment and the menu tree on
my phone doesn't have anything like that-- so I guess it won't work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan'l.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 8, 2004 12:42:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Try menu-settings-sounds-ringers-caller ID and it should show up there.

David R. Goyer



--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8Ii%c.8841$Vl5.1666@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:hV6%c.8725$Wv5.897@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >> "David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> news:Nu-dnWnACeXVQqHcRVn-rw@comcast.com...
>
> >> OK, thanks, I did all that and see the email on my phone with
> > <filename.mid>
> >> as the last thing in the email.
> >>
> >> But I don't see anything in the LG VX10 phone menus (or manual) that
says
> >> where to go from here to install it as a ringer option. Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Dan'l.
>
>
> "David R. Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:VcCdnVyofMopkqDcRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> > You should be able to just give it a name and save it. The when you go
> > into
> > Menu-settings-sounds-ringers-caller ID it should show up as an option to
> > choose.
> >
> > David
>
> The file is just text in the message, not an attachment and the menu tree
on
> my phone doesn't have anything like that-- so I guess it won't work.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Dan'l.
>
>
!