TheLostOne

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
Okay I got a decent new mother board K8nsc-939, a new processor AMD 64 3000, and 512 membory to go with it all.

The problem is that when I plugged my old hard drive into the new board windows xp does not load.
Things that might be wrong that I don't know how to fix

the hard drive is not compatible with the new board.

the transfer rate is wrong

I'm an idiot

So can some one help me out, and what specifics do you need to know in order to do so

"Thats a pretty smile you got there boy."

If your drive already has xp installed, you can try sysprep with your old board installed, load the new mainboard drivers in safe mode using the driver cd that came with your new board, then reinstall the new board and see if windows will work. Otherwise, I would just format and start over. Windows will crash when using almost any new board, unless both boards are using a chipset by the same company (sis, via, intel) and the new drivers are installed in safe mode. Then sometimes it will load without a format.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
And your old HDD has WinXP already installed, right? See, the XP installation has the old mobo's chipset drivers in it, and they won't drive the new chipset.

Not 100% sure it will work, but get your XP CD and boot off that, do a repair install.

Mike.

PS: I choose option 3 :evil:

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Beat me to the punch on Option 3... :mad:

TheLostOne

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
and here is where i win the big prize....... My old computer is a sony vaio, and only came with restore disks and not an actual xp disk.

"Thats a pretty smile you got there boy."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could always break some laws, you're not likely to get busted since you have a legit license.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>