new rig build questions

jimdecker

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
First time building a new rig. EPoX 9NPA motherboard, boxed AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice processor, 1MB Corsair memory, etc.

2 easy questions, I think:

(1) The thermal compound that goes between the chip and the fan. Do I need to buy it separate? The fan/heat sink that comes with the processor seems to have some sort of gray stuff on it where it contacts the CPU. Is that the compound? The directions don't really say (or I missed it). It does say to check AMDs website for info on the thermal compound.

(2) The memory, I have 2 sticks of 512MB. Which slots do they go in? Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the directions were a litle misleading. It said to put them in slots of the same color. But then it said put them in slots 1 and 3 (which are different colors). So I think that slots 1 and 2 is correct (purple). Or slots 3 and 4 are correct (black).

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
1) The stock heatsinks come with thermal pad, just slip off the plastic and slap it on the cpu.

2) I'm assuming when you booted it said to stick it in 1&3? If so, listen to that.