deep6

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
Hi All

I have just upgraded my system with a few new components, and am unable to get the machine to boot up.

New components are as follows:

MSI K8N SLi Patinum 601 7100 030
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ADA3500DEP4AS
Gigabyte GeForce 7800 GTX GV-NX78X256V-B
Antec TruePower 2.0 430 watt

I did not upgrade my memory or HDD which are as follows:

1 x Kingston KRV266X64C25/512
1 x Kingston KRV333X64C25/512
These have been placed in the two purple slots.

HDD 40GB Maxtor

The pc powers up and then just hangs without getting to the BIOS screen - the diagnostic LEDs on the D-Bracket are as follows:

Red Green
Green Red

Which the motherboard manual flags as - Processor Initialization.

I have gone over everything and checked all the connections etc and all seems to be OK and I am now sat here scratching my head and out of ideas. If anyone could offer any ideas or have any thoughts it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Try posting with the hardrive disconnected and just the one stick of pc2700 (333). I wouldn't mix different speeds of memory on this board. This board might run with 2 sticks of pc2700, but pc3200 would work much better. The 266 memory is too slow.

deep6

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
OK - have now replaced RAM with single 512 400DDR stick and still nothing. Tried it in all slots and get post beeps when it is placed in the slot furthest from the processor.

Have also:

1. Checked and reseated the processor (Newcastle Core apparently)
2. Individually removed all components/drives etc and tried to reboot with each one removed.
3. As the board has no on board graphics I removed the new PCI Express card and tried an old PCI graphics card

Still no result - do you think this could be a faulty processor?

Have you taken the board out of the case, and tried a minimal post (one stick of memory, video, and cpu/heatsink)? Your board may be making contact with something in the case that causes a no post situation. Also check the backplate for squareness.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I had a similar problem when I transfered my old 2.4 ghz Celeron to a new mobo; even if the processor seems properly seated, it often takes a bit of force to make sure all the pins make contact. I pressed gently around the edge of the heat spreader until I was sure it was properly socketed, being careful not to damage anything.

deep6

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
Due to a lack of spares to test this with - I bit the bullet and took the machine to a service centre. They have tested the tree new components and reckon it is a fault with the motherboard, the graphics card and the processor check out OK.

Thinking about this - could this be an issue with the BIOS version on the MB? I have checked the MSI site and it seems to check out OK - but I wonder?

Anyway - thanks for the advise.

sturm

Splendid
When the computer hangs hit the power button off and on real quick. The problem could be that the hyper-transport setting is set to 5 and may need set to 4. I had the same problem on my msi neo 2 platinum. would hang at cpu init. hitting the power off then on real quick should set the bios into safe mode allowing you to get to the bios. goto the cell menu and set the HT to 4, save and reboot. Worked for me and have had no problems with it set at 4.

pauldh

Illustrious
You can also hold the insert key when pressing the power button on, and it will set to safe settings to enter bios. Comes in handy if you go beyond OC limits.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

pauldh

Illustrious
It's an Nforce 4 sli, I highly doubt the shipping bios lacks A64 3500+ support.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

deep6

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
I have already tried to reset the BIOS - would this not put the settings back to default? And if not - is this different from safe mode?

Also - why would my processor not be able to run with the hyper-transport setting at 5?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS