HP Pavilion power cycles on and off

I press the power button - the light comes on and it sounds like it is
starting to boot up, but only for about 1 second. The light goes off
and the sound stops for about a second. Then, it starts up again for a
second and so on, cycling on and off until I kill the power at the
power strip. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
1 answer Last reply
More about pavilion power cycles

    Is it a Desktop/Tower or a laptop? If it is a Tower, start unplugging
    things like HD, CD, remove Cards, etc until only the bare minimum are in:
    CPU, Memory, Video. If it still does it, either motherboard or power
    Supply.

    Dewaine
    Bob wrote:

    > I press the power button - the light comes on and it sounds like it is
    > starting to boot up, but only for about 1 second. The light goes off
    > and the sound stops for about a second. Then, it starts up again for a
    > second and so on, cycling on and off until I kill the power at the
    > power strip. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Hewlett Packard Light Power HP Pavilion Computers