USB extension

I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot
extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for data,
Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a while.
Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes, the
little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is
unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is this
because of thr unshielded extension?
Thanks in advance,
Rob

---
More about extension

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 05:17:39 GMT, "MrSmiley" <noyb@noyb.com> wrote:

    >I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot
    >extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for data,
    >Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a while.
    >Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes, the
    >little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is
    >unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is this
    >because of thr unshielded extension?

    Maybe. The problem is the DC resistance of your CAT5 extension cable.
    If you inspect the official USB cable, the outer two wires are
    typically #20 awg. Your single pair of CAT5 is #24 awg or about twice
    the DC resistance per ft. Even so, the maximum length for USB,
    without repeaters, is about 16ft.

    I think you can make this CAT5 kludge work if you use one pair for
    data, and parallel the remaining 3 pairs to supply the DC power.

    Once you have 5.0VDC delivered to the DWL-122, then start thinking
    about shielding. You may not need it.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    I never thought about the 5V, makes sense, I'll try using 3 pairs in
    parallel for power and see if that fixes the problem. I've read a little
    about POE, but didn't think it applied to a 20' wire.
    Thanks!
    Rob

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 05:17:39 GMT, "MrSmiley" <noyb@noyb.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot
    > >extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for
    data,
    > >Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a
    while.
    > >Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes, the
    > >little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is
    > >unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is this
    > >because of thr unshielded extension?
    >
    > Maybe. The problem is the DC resistance of your CAT5 extension cable.
    > If you inspect the official USB cable, the outer two wires are
    > typically #20 awg. Your single pair of CAT5 is #24 awg or about twice
    > the DC resistance per ft. Even so, the maximum length for USB,
    > without repeaters, is about 16ft.
    >
    > I think you can make this CAT5 kludge work if you use one pair for
    > data, and parallel the remaining 3 pairs to supply the DC power.
    >
    > Once you have 5.0VDC delivered to the DWL-122, then start thinking
    > about shielding. You may not need it.
    >

    > --
    > # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    > # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    > # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    > # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

    ---

    "MrSmiley" <noyb@noyb.com> wrote:
    >I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot
    >extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for data,

    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=131+0947 claims
    USB extension over 150 feet of Cat5 cable to a self-powered USB
    device, so maybe Jeff's suggestion to bulk up the power leads is a
    good one. You could even test it with a powered hub on the end f your
    existing cable.

    OTOH, I thought the 16-foot limit on USB was due to timing, and I've
    had several nightmares trying to make HP AllInOne devices work on
    "active extensions" (16-foot cables with bus-powered 1-port hubs
    molded into the ends), so I'd proceed with caution.

    Maybe placement of your USB WiFi adapter on a legal-length 16-foot
    cable (up instead of over, etc) would work better...

    MrSmiley <noyb@noyb.com> wrote:
    > I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot
    > extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for data,
    > Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a while.
    > Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes, the
    > little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is
    > unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is this
    > because of thr unshielded extension?

    I might think so. A 5 meter USB cable is about $10 or less around here.
    That works quite well with my DWL-122. Shielding or power loss (I know the
    DWL gets warm, so it's drawing more power than you might think), or just
    bad connections.

    --
    ---

    MrSmiley wrote:
    > I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot
    > extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for data,
    > Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a while.
    > Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes, the
    > little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is
    > unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is this
    > because of thr unshielded extension?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Rob

    Where is the router? Since you have a 20 ft cable, wouldn't it be eaiser
    just connect the PC to the router with cat 5 cable directly?

    No, can't easily run a cable. The garage is detached, about 150 feet from
    the house, the router, hubs and and WAP (Dlink DWL-800AP+) are in the house.
    I was using a Phone Line network to get out there, but when it rains, I lose
    the connection for a day or two (bad buried phone line). The 20 foot
    extension is to get the DWL-122 closer to the front of the garage (better
    shot at a window in the house where the WAP sits)
    Thanks,
    Rob

    "No e-mail" <noemail@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > MrSmiley wrote:
    > > I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20
    foot
    > > extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for
    data,
    > > Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a
    while.
    > > Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes,
    the
    > > little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is
    > > unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is
    this
    > > because of thr unshielded extension?
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Rob
    > >
    > Where is the router? Since you have a 20 ft cable, wouldn't it be eaiser
    > just connect the PC to the router with cat 5 cable directly?

    ---

    "MrSmiley" <noyb@noyb.com> wrote:
    >The 20 foot
    >extension is to get the DWL-122 closer to the front of the garage (better
    >shot at a window in the house where the WAP sits)

    Again, try going up 10 feet instead of over 20 feet...

Connection Extension Wireless Networking