Sign in with
Your question

Need help deciding between 2 sock478 mboards RAID?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 5, 2005 2:38:19 AM

Hi All,

I've came across a FREE P4 2.8C CPU that I'm looking for a motherboard for.

My options are limited to two Asus boards. The Asus P4P800SE and a P4P800-E Deluxe. Both are socket 478 MB's.

***I'm sure it's obvious that I'm a RAID noob! Oh, and BTW, this system will get me back into PC gaming.

The big difference between the two is the fact the P4P800SE only has the Intel ICH5R SATA RAID controller, while the P4P800-E Deluxe has the Intel RAID controller in additon to a Promise 20378 RAID controller, which will support 2 UDMA Drives and/or 2 more SATA drives.

Regardless of which MB I choose I plan to install WIN XP on two (2) new 80GB SATA drives in a RAID 0 config on the ICH5R controller.

My dilemma is that I would like a separate hard drive with 160GB or more space to archive my CD collection.

So here's what I THINK my options are:

(I'm eager to hear what other options are out there and what's the best choice performancewise for me. Oh, and cost is a factor, however, I expect the cost for whatever route will carry a similar cost.)

Option 1-

Get the P4P800SE MB.
Install XP on the 2 x 80GB ICH5R RAID 0 array.
Get a 160GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive for music.

Option 2-

Go with the P4P800-E Deluxe.
Install XP on the 2 x 80GB ICH5R RAID 0 array.
Install one (1) 160GB SATA drive on the Promise controller for music (can I do this? or must they be installed in pairs?).

Regarding the Primary and Secondary IDE channels, I want to reserve those for copying CD's on the fly. As long as it wouldn't interfere with this I suppose another option is to put a 160GB IDE HD on one channel.

If I left some of the motherboard specifications out here's links to more info:

P4P800SE
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800 SE&langs=09

P4P800-E Deluxe
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800-E Deluxe&langs=09

- Side question, somewhat relevant - Anyone have an opinion on what stripe size I should use for my primary RAID 0 config? 16 KB, 64 KB, or 128 KB?

Thanks in advance guys!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2005 2:28:14 PM

Is there abig price difference between the two Mobo?
An external HD will set you back a few more $ than an internal one.

I personnally dont think it would be a problem to have the 160gb HD on one of the "built-in" IDE controller. Even if it shares the controller with a DVD/CD bruner, I would'nt think it would slow anything down!

Unless you can use some of the convenience of the external HD, I sugegst avoiding it, it will cost you more and perform a little slower in most case.

As for the extra promise controller, I dont think you really need it, exept if you really think you'll add HD's in the future, id pick wichever board is cheaper...

Hope this help you some!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
August 5, 2005 6:43:55 PM

Thanks labbbby,

The difference in price between the two mobos is $20.

There is no difference in price between a 160 GB SATA Drive and 160 GB IDE HD. But do I need to add SATA drives in pairs?

I want to be able to copy cd's on the fly between my DVD ROM and CDRW drives. If I do go with the cheaper mobo and buy an IDE drive for music:

How should I configure them? i.e. what device should I make the primary master, what should I make the slave, and what should I make the secondary master device?

Thanks again,

Jason
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2005 7:07:29 PM

Well for 20$ it might be worth it, you'll have more flexibility...
Sata doesnt need to be in pair, RAID neither BTW...

How many SATA ports on the ICH5R, I think I only have two on mine?...If there's four SATA you can plug the 3 HD and have 2 in raid0 and the other just "standing" there. Its not because its on a raid controller that you have to run it in raid!

As for master/slave, that notion doesnt really exist with SATA, you have sata 0/1/2/3 etc

Personnaly I always put my CD-RW on top(dont know why justa preference) and my DVD is under it and on the same ide contorller. Thats why I put the DVD master and CDRW slave, works great...

Finally get the 160gig in SATA flavor,the cable is much nicer for airflow in the computer!other than that no big difference, if you decide to get the mobo without the additional SATA and you only have 2 of them, get a IDE its really no big deal.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
August 6, 2005 12:16:12 AM

Yes, there's only two SATA ports on the ICH5R. The P4P800-E Deluxe adds a Promise RAID controller with two more SATA ports and two more IDE Ports.

What do you have on the other IDE controller? Can you copy disc to disc? I was under the impression that placing both the source and destination drive on the same IDE channel is undesireable if you want to copy disc to disc. I want to say there's a likelyhood of crosstalk (and diminishing performance) since the data has to pass down the cable through the controller and back up to the burner.
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2005 3:55:49 AM

if your relying on RAID, either way buy a cheap RAID card - if your motherboard dies your will loose your data where as a raid card can be moved from computer to computer and it wouldnt matter in selection wether the boards had raid or not.
!