No ... parallel port?

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
OK, this will sound funny to you, but my DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR lacks the parallel port for printers. I have an old printer which I dindn't bother upgrading ... but how do I connect it now?

<A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1219598&CatId=471" target="_new">I didn't bother to edit my last post becuase I'm a post whore </A> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You mean he can dump off a high-quality laser printer that does bulk prints for less than five cents a sheet, and pick up a piece of crap that does a few prints for around 50 cents a sheet. Or he can buy an adapter and be happy.

BTW, lots of motherboards have a parallel port header internally and simply require a cable and bracket to mount in an expansion slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
You mean he can dump off a high-quality laser printer that does bulk prints for less than five cents a sheet, and pick up a piece of crap that does a few prints for around 50 cents a sheet. Or he can buy an adapter and be happy.
Speculation, but old is old to me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a LaserJet III and a DeskJet 990cxi, both on my system. There's a good reason not to dump the old printer, it's great for flyers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i though there was an option to have parallel port, i think ya need to email the support or goto the DFI forums and ask how to get the accsorie, provided there is a sewrial port mountign thinginy on ur case, my case is old enough to have one

RichPLS

Champion
I wish I had an old laser printer...any old one with 600x600dpi would be fine...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have several LaserJet II's and III's. The ones with the HUGE toner cartridge. People buy palets of junk at the local University's junk auction, and leave the printers behind. How's FREE sound?

RichPLS

Champion
I will gladly pay shipping. Would love any kind of working Laserjet!

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You really don't want to ship anything this old and heavy. Stop by my place and pick one up.

RichPLS

Champion
LMAO! on the way, leave tonight, wait up for me!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can visit RC on the way up.

RichPLS

Champion
Better make that second, since I probally won't be in driving condition after that!

RichPLS

Champion
Better make that second, since I probally won't be in driving condition after that!

Yeah, I'll have one too - Just getting plane ticket now.

RichPLS

Champion
Oh great, your trying to beat me to steal mine! In that case, I will ditch the luggage and helment for weight and open throttle up on my Ninja 900... Nyiiiiinnn *grind* Nyiiiiiinnn Nyiiiiiinnnn Jhaaaa

RichPLS

Champion
Dangit, foiled once more, I shall have to think of SoD for assistance, he can read thoughts before actually thinking of them...Maybe he can help me get the printer!

RichPLS

Champion
No, as in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=98900#98900" target="_new"> Here... SoDNighthawk ... LOL! </A>

Your right of course the theory is that our Sun is to small to explode it would simply expand it's diameter by factors not really known accept to hypothesis that it would encompass our Milky way galaxy.

In other words as it runs out of fissionable material it would expand and destroy all the planets in our solar system then shrink back into a dwarf but not a very large or powerful dwarf.

I think a blue dwarf is what they expect as it is a very cool and small one.

If I remember right they said we would see an explosion and then 8 minutes later that would be it. The suns energy would wash over us.

As far as gravitational effects and other electromagnetic fields I guess all you need to do is take readings from a nuclear bomb test and apply them to the amount of energy a dying sun the size of ours would give off.

Besides as my well educated son <-- is standing over my shoulder reading this he says we have about 6 million years left for the final answer!!

Give me a call we can open a beer and sit on the deck and watch...........

If our sun explodes you have a full 8 minutes to observe the initial explosion before the energy of it reaches you.
Yes Phial you are right and that is what I explained about 6 posts back in this thread, it is Big Mac that got confused and seems to think he doesn't see anything until the light reaches him that instant. I am trying to explain to him that light travels through time across distance so you always see the flash slightly before you hear the noise or feel the effects.

Since the sun is 8 minutes away from us in time/light speed we would get to see the light travel from the sun as it exploded for 8 minutes before we were wiped out.

I don't think Big Mack can get his head around that. He is not thinking about light that he see's and time versus distance.

Perhaps if I explained it to him like this.

If he had a spaceship that could travel at light speed and he saw a solar system 20 light years from earth.

Ok he says he is 20 years old and he will fly to the new solar system 20 light years from earth so when he arrives there he is going to be 40 years old. The Journey will take him 20 years even at the speed of light.

The trick here he is missing is it took the light from that solar system he saw with his own eyes 20 light years to reach him before he even noticed the solar system for him to make plans to go visit it.

Nicotine also causes the colour purple to break down therefore reducing night vision.

This is a key reason why fighter pilots in the U.S Navy stop smoking before a tour of duty and why they use Vitamin A in their diet.

Carrier landings at night are quite an exceptional event of skill.

However you can keep copy pasting things until your blue in the face. I simply know what I am talking about, from past experience and from hands on in the work place labs.

A little place called Lumonics I worked for where we designed and built Optics and lasers for both College, University and the medical fields.

On top of that I was also part of the bombe disposal suit development in our Nations Capitol and in all regards to the electronics contained and that run the suit. Some surprising equipment you will also know nothing about.

You guys are great in fact your the best but ya don't know [-peep-]!!

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmmmm i'd like him to meet in person, he is most likely a PHD of some sort and teching somewhere lol, maybe i could get some science (home) work from him, just just to satasfly my curisity.

RichPLS

Champion
Actually he mangles mainfraims in Canada part of the internet backbone.