Doesn't boot anymore! Blinking cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It looks like I lost my boot sector... anyway to fix this like in the old DOS days with "Sys c:"

What happened? I was in Windows 7x64, build 7100, finished playing the Batman Demo on Steam, then deleted the content (through Steam), left the computer which then went into sleep mode. I come back, boot up Counter Strike, start a chat session in Steam with a buddy and I get the Blue Screen of death. The kernel dump lasts only 3-4 seconds if that. I didn't get a chance to read what it said, it was so quick, but I did see the % counter go 15, 55, 85, then black screen.

Next, I try to boot the computer and where the OS would normally start booting, all I have is the blinking cursor.

I tried booting with the DVD of Win 7 and do a repair. The repair said nothing was wrong, and so I rebooted. No change. Try a repair, but this time did a "boot with previous known good config" where you see the list and you get to select where the rollback to get to. Let that go, said it finished successfully and rebooted. Still nothing.

Any options left?

Relevant HW information:
Asus M3A79-T with Phenom II 955, 4GB ram
Onboard RAID 1 with 2 WD black 1TB

Tech30

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

Unfortunately, only two things come to mind :
1- Overclock failed
2- Format and reinstall

Sorry mate ;)

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
An overclock fail would result in wiping out the boot ability of Windows? Usually you'd just crash, reboot and be fine. It's not even starting to load Windows 7 at all. I would also assume a "repair" would fix it, but no!

I'll be trying again tonight when I get home.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

No, I didn't try the Fixboot, I didn't know there was such a command and was hoping someone would tell me this, that's the purpose of this thread.

So, just at the cmd window, you can just type fixboot and it'll fix the boot sector? Thanks, I wish I would have heard that before I reinstalled! :)

Nope, you have to use the OS disc to boot into the repair console. You would boot off the OS disc in the same way you would format/install windows. But instead of formatting or installing windows on a partition, you would use the R option to repair a partition. That will take you into the repair console. Then you can use commands, such as fixboot and many others.

gotitsingh13

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hey, don't worry its just that your Boot sector needs repair. You might have had run some program/Patch that has caused this problem.

You now need to get a Windows Repair disk/USB (create one)

To create USB Repair Disk
1.Open Command Prompt with administrator privileges. To do this, type CMD in Start menu search field and then hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, go to All programs, Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

2.In the command prompt, you need to execute the following commands.

Type DISKPART and hit enter.

3.Now, type LIST DISK and press enter to see list of disks attached to your computer. In the next step, you need to select your USB flash drive that you are using to create system recovery drive (in this example, we are selecting Disk 1).

4.From now on, type all the following commands one by one and then hit enter (again, please make sure that you are replacing the DISK 1 with your Disk number).

SELECT DISK 1

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)

ASSIGN

EXIT

5.Now, insert the previously created repair disc and copy all the contents (contains three items) to the USB flash drive. You have just created a bootable Windows 7 recovery USB drive.

Go into command prompt run bootsect/nt60 SYS for windows vista or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS