HELP can't install dvd writer????

Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
to get them all connected and working?

Thank you
Steve

Leave the hard drives where they are on the primary IDE controller.

Examine the IDE cable used to attach the DVD drives to the secondary IDE
controller. Is it a cable select type of cable? How can one tell? Hold the
cable up to the light and see if there is a small hole in the cable, indicating
that one of the wires has been cut. If so, it is cable select cable, and both
DVD drives should have their jumpers in the cable select (CS) position. This
means that the master and slave setups depend on the connector to which the
drives are attached.

As a rule, I would always make sure that a DVD burner is either a master on an
IDE controller or it is a slave to a hard drive, never a slave to another
optical drive.

Have you check the drive setups as shown in the motherboard BIOS setup screens?

.... Ben Myers