aistewart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
hope someone can help
My sons pc has always been a bit unstable - it crashed to desktop and had trouble running his games I used to think cos he was young he was messing it but now im not so sure
I have slowly replaced nearly the whole thing and it only leaves the mobo and chip here is a brief spec:
athlon 2400 skt A
jetway v400 dbl
2x512mb danelec pc2700
leadtek 6600gt
maxtor diamondplus 9

I tried to run Battlefield 2 on minimum settings and it was slow as hell (it should run ok) so I decided to repartition the hdd and get a clean re-install but during initial set up it says "the file amsint.sys is corrupted " and exits set up
I wonder if I should cut my losses and buy newer more reliable mobo (via sucks imo) or can it be fixed
I would appreciate any advice

aistewart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
its a mercury 300w - I DID THINK OF THE PSU /- the GEFORCE CARD NEEDS POWER TOO but there is nothing plugged in like printer or anything
its the corrupt "amsint.sys" file cusing probs too whatever that is

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
300W is low for that system IMO. I would suggest a good brand 400W one at least (Fortron, Enermax).

how warm is the air being exhausted out the back of the power supply? If it feels quite warm then it's a sign that the PSU is under strain.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

aistewart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
I had thought of temperature but Iv ran it with 2 case fans and the side off the case and even at start up it was unstable

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I mean that if just the power supply is blowing out hot air, then it's at or over it's peak output. It's just a fairly basic test.

The problems you describe just sound like a PSU problem to me.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

pat

Expert
I would try with only one memory stick, checking each slots with each stick. I dont know how old your motherboard, But I would check for leaking and bulging capacitors. The top should be flat and clean.. and I dont mean dust here.

For a 6600, the 300W might be on the weak side, especially if it is one of low quality.

Check for bad IDE cable. You should have a 80 wires cable for proper operation. Push on the connector that plugs in the motherboard and in the HDD. If the CD is connected slave to the HDD, then remove it and put it on its own channel for installation. If you doubt about the cable, get new one as thay are cheap. All this should rules out connection problem and data corruption problem

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>