Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
The NB fan on my IS7 MB appears to be failing. I've orderded a new fan from Abit and am wondering how serious would it be if the fan stopped working before the new one arrived? Any tips on replacing the fan and/or the heat sink and fan?

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Thanks for the fast response, wusy.

The replacement hasn't arrived yet, but I assume it is just the fan. I can see that the fan is mounted on the heat sink with 3 small screws, and would appear easy to replace. But if I have to replace the fan and the heat sink it looks like I will have to remove the MB . That would be a pain.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I can't see if the heat sink goes through the MB. I would have to unmount the MB. What I can see is that the heat sink is flush with the board and there are four wire loop holders on the board. There are two wires which appear to go from the fan assembly to the wire loop holders. Hopefully, those two wires are holding the heat sink in place.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
In case anyone is wondering how this turned out (he he).
New fan/heatsink arrived last Thursday. Replacement was a piece of cake.

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I've been noticing my NB fan (on an ABIT IS7) running erratically as of late also. Did ABIT charge you for the replacement? Did you have to remove the motherboard to replace the fan? ...will batman escape...? will robin be rescued...?

Tune in next week, same Bat channel...same Bat place

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Ok, nevermind about whether Abit charges or not. I just checked their website and it looks like all they charge is the shipping and handling. Isn't the internet (invented by Al Gore) wonderful?

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Sorry about the belated reply. Abit shipping charge $6 plus Pay Pal $5 totals $11. As you may already know, you don't have to remove the MB. Ya just need narrow nose plyers to unhook the wire from the wire holder. It was so easy: I spent 30 minutes thinking about it, and then when I got my courage up, it just took 10 seconds to actually do it.

The replacement heatsink/fan unit is about 1/2 the height of the original. It appears that positioning the fan closer to the heat source makes for better cooling.