Please help me pick a mobo

MinorDamage

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2005
Last week my pc's PS blew - and maybe a few other things. Since I will have to buy a new PS to begin testing on the old pc, I thought I'd get started on assembling parts for a new build.

Which mobo do you suggest? The following are the ones I've seen most favored lately.

EPoX EP-9NPA+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra
Abit Fatal1ty AN8

Most come in an SLI version. I haven't read anything that suggest SLI to be necessary ...atleast not for another year or more. I do like to play games and the rig will have WoW, HL2 and Farcry on it, but for the most part the pc will be performing more mundane tasks like email.

I've read great recommendations of DFI's board, but I'm not too excited about doing any heavy OC'ing with this rig. Mostly I just want something that'll be easy to setup, has PCIe and runs solid. It seems like DFI's board has a lot of issues with RAM, BIOS and a cramped design. The Epox board is inexpensive but doesn't appear to be much use for OC. I can't recall the issues that people were having with the MSI board but I think it was BIOS.

I plan on pairing the mobo with the following parts:
CPU: AMD 64 +3500 (or better)
Ram: 1GB OCZ CL2 Platimum DDR400
or 2x512 Corsair XMS
or Kingston value ram
HD: Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA 8MB cache
or Maxtor Maxline III 7L300S0 300GB 16MB cache
( both have 5yr warrenties )
Video: Geforce 6800GT 256MB
or ATI x800XL
or ATI AIW x800XT
( I'd like to have a tv tuner, but don't know much about them - just need one for cable since my ISP is cable.)
PS: Antec Neopower 480w

Lastly, depending on how much all this is going to cost, I may have a vendor do the assembly. Does anyone have any experience with Monarch Computer ? I'm planning to spend about $1500-2000 on the rig. One other question, As far as performance goes, is Windows64 required..or will XP (pro) do?

Windows 64 is a server application, and won't give you any performance advantage. I'd go for the ocz memory and seagate hardrive. Can't recommend a board, but I use an msi with my p4, and it overclocks well.