DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D problems

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I upgraded last night to the DFI board. I had it running today for a couple hours. I'm going through the manual on the cd for a couple things in BIOS and the thing shuts down. It won't startup now. Both LEDS on the board are lit. If I go to turn it on, fans, cd drive, everything spins up for a couple of seconds and shuts down. I've cleared CMOS, pulled the battery, unplugged a couple devices. Nothing works. Speaking of clearing CMOS and pulling the battery. After the times I did that, when I went to start it the fans or anything wouldn't spin up. The power LED on the case would blink and that was about it. There was no OCing going on, everything was at default settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
give us your full system spec first, you should always do that before you ask for help.

k, now for the issue, unplug ALL uneeded devices (ie. graphics cards, dvd drives) now, try to turn it on. if it still does the same thing, go through with teh ensential parts one by one, cpu, ram... yeah, you get the picture. if you do ALL of that, and it still doesn't work... it can either be you shorted the mobo, or killed your psu.

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I think it is the PSU. Yes, I did all the above that you mentioned. I also realized it wasn't the board when my old one did the same thing, though everything worked perfectly fine before. I also stuck my old cpu (A64 3200+) in the board, got the same thing. Tried each stick of memory by itself and in every slot.

It seems like the PSU because it's the only thing I haven't been able to test (have to get another psu today to try) other than the video, but in the old board somehow I'm able to make it into BIOS, but that's it, once I exit out it'll shut down. Or give me a critical error statement, even though there is a perfectly function Windows on the hdd. Tested the drive/cable in another machine and it's fine. Also in BIOS, I never noticed before but I don't think is normal, the voltages fluctuate like crazy. Normally I remember values changing maybe every few seconds or so. Now their fluctuating so fast it's like a few times a second. Can barely read some numbers it's changing so quickly. And voltages are off from what they were. All voltages before were stable and pretty much on the money. Now the 5v is 4.59-4.65, 12v is around 12.34-12.4 and 3.3v hangs around 3.4x. So I'll try to grab a new PSU today and see. Thanks, my system specs are as follows:

X2 4400+
2gb (2x 1gb sticks) PQI Turbo memory
DFI LP UT Ultra-d
eVGA 6800gt (pcie)
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
36gb WD Raptor
2x 160 WD SATA
Antec Neopower PSU (480w)

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Yep, it's the PSU. I got a 535w Enermax just to test it out. Booted my old motherboard fine. Tried both cpus, ram, etc. Put the 4400+ in the Lanparty using the Enermax, booted up fine. Tried my old PSU, got the same problems as I was before.

I guess you can no longer trust a manual. The manual states that the extra molex and FDD connectors are only needed when running 2 video cards. I was only using the 24pin and 4pin (and pcie) connectors when I first installed it. It must've been too much for the Antec and it shot the 5v rail to hell. I was able to get into BIOS once with the old PSU, the 5v rail is fluctuating between 4.35 and 4.40. So I'll get a new PSU and I should be all set.

I just don't get why with all default settings this board needs so much juice. My old board (Abit AN8) ran fine with just the 2 connectors. Oh well, I'd rather it be a PSU shot than a cpu.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
yeah, i suspected to be the psu, the dfi boards don't burn that easily... well because they are suppose to stand a hell of a voltage increase.(OC)

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>