dual mobo configuration?

pchartwell

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
Can anyone point me to a resource for DIY PC/server builds involving multiple motherboards... or even whether or why not it is even feasible? Specifically looking for insight into incorporating multiple (ie. 2) motherboards and not simply dual processors. TIA

G

Why would you want to do that?
You could go for either 2 smaller Case and/or a motherboard with twice the expansion.

Mor info please!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

pchartwell

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
disclaimer: It's not my idea or first choice!

I have a business aquaintance who tossed up the idea (of a dual mobo config) for my input. I confessed I had never heard of such a thing. He seemed to think that it would be worthwhile for dividing control for a very large array of hard disks as well as addressing his substantial power requirements.

Is there any application at all for dual mobo that could not more elegantly be handled in a more common fashion?

What do you mean my 'twice the expansion'... are you referring to multiple processors?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
A decent Server board would meet those needs. Depending on how many disks 'Very Large' is.

We got a dual processor server at work that has 6 SCSI disks and room for another 6 - bought off ebay for only about £400. (US$600-ish I guess)

He could look at something like that, but lots of high capacity SCSI disks would cost a bomb (the six we have are 18.2Gb each)

Any decent modern motherboard will run with quite a few disks with little or no performance hit anyway.....

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

G

By twice the expansion I meant, twice the sata connector / ram slot/ PCI slots etc...So two way opteron board come with quitwe a few slots...

I dont think there's a need for it! Either you use two PC or you buy a server that can handle the "very large array of hard disks as well as addressing his substantial power requirements"

Some server can now hold a few TeraBytes, dont need 2 mobo..

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get server boards that support 2-4 processors and 2-4 times as many memory modules.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Hi there!
You make up your mind if you want to go in for clustering or multiple processors on a board as crashman suggested todays multiple processor mobos can handle large amounts of ram and io's
go to http://www.tyan.com/
for further info.

:cool: & :eek: is <font color=red> my frame of mind </font color=red>
so enjoy life but!!!!!