Installing HP Printer driver on WLAN?

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Is there anything tricky about installing a printer driver under WinXP for an
HP LJ 2100 on a wirelessly-connected computer? The printer is on an Ethernet
network, and the laptops that I will be installing the drivers on are
wirelessly connected to the network via an 802.11b AP.

I've got the standard HP driver that I've installed on other computers on the
wired LAN. Is there anything different about the install on these 2 wireless
computers?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

In article <0001HW.BDAD04DC0000E094F02845B0@news.individual.net>,
DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
:Is there anything tricky about installing a printer driver under WinXP for an
:HP LJ 2100 on a wirelessly-connected computer? The printer is on an Ethernet
:network, and the laptops that I will be installing the drivers on are
:wirelessly connected to the network via an 802.11b AP.

:I've got the standard HP driver that I've installed on other computers on the
:wired LAN. Is there anything different about the install on these 2 wireless
:computers?

If the HP LJ 2100 is being sent data through ethernet, such
as through a jetdirect card, then you do not need to do anything
different for the PCs that are wireless.

What -would- be a challenge would be trying to take a printer
with a USB connection and move that printer off of it's host
PC and attach it to a wireless connection; you might, for example,
want to do that if it is inconvenient to have the printer sit
close to the PC. There are some wireless print spoolers that will
work for some models, but not for all. Attaching a multifunction
printer (such as one that offers printing, fax, scanning and copying)
to a wireless print spooler is particularily problematic: there are
not many models yet that you can do that with and still be able to use
the fax and scanning features.
--
Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
they see in .signatures.

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:47:57 -0800, Walter Roberson wrote
(in article <cm8h8d$7f3$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>):

> If the HP LJ 2100 is being sent data through ethernet, such
> as through a jetdirect card, then you do not need to do anything
> different for the PCs that are wireless.

That is the case, here.

Thanks !

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Please see my other post " Sharing HP LJ printer with Macs and WinXPs ? ".
It's not as straightforward as I'd hoped ...

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group