1 GB (2x512) Geil DDR2 Ultra series Dual Channel
Sapphire X800 Pro 256 GDDR3 PCI-e x16
WD 160 GB SATAII (x2) not in RAID
Plextor SATA DVD Burner model PX-712SA
Antec Truepower 480W power supply
Aspire X-Dreamer case
Windows XP home ed. SP2

This is more or less what’s been going on, and I’m writing it from memory:

Everything went together just fine. Posted first time, no problem with windows installation. Put in the drivers for the MB rebooted, added drivers for Video, added Norton AV and FW, and finally installed Diablo II with expansion and latest patch. The system was a dream, no problems at all. Loaded DVD writing software and Firefox and it was still working fine.

Few days later I start having problems. First I get kicked out of Firefox twice in one night while accessing CBSSportsline.com. The following day turn on the computer and it gives me a memory error on boot. I reboot and it comes up just fine. Go to load Diablo II and it won’t open, starts to load, beeps, then goes back to windows. I figured something was corrupted in an installation so I restore windows to a save point 10 days ago. On reboot after restore get dll error (forget which). I rebooted a few more times and each time got a different error sometimes with windows system files, sometimes with Norton or the realtek drivers, or even the BSOD.

Note: got the same message that Cowman got on the BSOD
DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
BEGINING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

I hadn’t even formatted the second drive yet, so I unplugged the original drive and hooked up the second drive by itself and started over. This installation seemed to go OK, until I got to loading the ATI drivers. I had no problems during the first install, but on the second it told me a cab file was corrupt. I uninstalled the drivers and tried again, and this time it went through. I tried downloading the drivers from ATI and when I went to load them they were corrupt and wouldn’t even start the install. I downloaded Memtest86+ and let it cycle through 4 times with no problems. I also downloaded a CPU testing program (forget which), and let the CPU hum through multiple cycles for 12 hours. No problems detected. The following day turned on the computer and it gave me a windows system error on boot, but after reboot appeared fine. I installed the ASUS probe and watched the temp and voltages for a few days while playing Diablo and working on the desktop. The online thing of note was that the temp alarm on the CPU was set at 60 and after playing Diablo for 15 minutes it would trip. I set the alarm to 63 and played for several hours without problems or alarms. It would idle at 47 and hover at 50-53 when working on the desktop. The only thing I noticed on the voltage was an occassional swing in the 12 volt from 12.09 to 12.04 or 12.14. Anyway it worked again for a week or so and then I started having the random errors occur and the reboot loop. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS manually and that gets me back from the reboot loop, but the random errors are still there. Restoring to an earlier restore point usually helps the big problems.

Last night I noticed that ASUS had just released a new version of the Realtek drivers so I downloaded them but when I tried to unzip them they were corrupt, tried again same thing, so switched to IE and tried downloading them with a different browser, still corrupt. I even switched from the Marvel to the Intel LAN port, but that didn’t work either. Used my old computer to download them and they unzipped just fine, so I burned them to a disk and tried to load them from the burned CD. The installation kicked me out halfway through and told me some file was corrupt. Tried again, but got a different corrupt file on kickout. Reburned the CD and tried again with same result.

I decided it was time to reinstall windows, one last time before throwing in the towel, but after it copied the files and rebooted, Windows setup hung and told me a file windowsNT$... was corrupt. Went back into safe mode and tried again, this time the files copied and it rebooted and the setup went 5 seconds longer and told me perc.sys or some such file was corrupt.

Anyone out there have any idea whether this problem is a hardware or software issue and if it’s hardware which component? I get the idea that data is just being randomly lost and that is leading to slow windows corruption, but the Memory which would be my first suspect checks out just fine.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yah, that sure sounds like memory. What's your RAM voltage and the RAM's rated voltage? Although memtest didn't show any problems, maybe you could bump the VRam a notch and see if that helps.

Could be the PSU, 480w should be enough for the system, but it could be bad. Download MBM5 and log your voltages to a file over the course of a few crashes/reboots and see if there's any fluctuations.

Could also be other parts overheating (voltage regulators, chipset, something...). Just to test, pull the side panel off and aim a house fan at the mobo. If it doesn't crash, you need to add a couple fans for better case airflow.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

drcolonel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've already taken the side off the case for easy access, but I'll add the house fan. My main problem is going to be getting back to a semi stable windows environment to run MBM5. Like I said I wasn't able to get windows setup going the last time. I'll let you know after I get a chance to play with it tonight.

G

Just a random thought, corruption can pretty much happen in 2 places, memory or HD. If memory is memtest stable, try prim95 also too see!

Now what about HD? you tried two? What about trying a different controller and a different cable? I doubt but it but it can cause weird issue. I had a damaged IDE cable doing some really weird stuff!

If nothing work you could still run only one stick...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Hi,
Have you by any chance upgraded to a new network driver (lan)?
Have you tried toascertain why almost all of the drivers you downloaded are corrupt? (file sytem maybe corrupt what is ur file system anyway?) ?
Is your grphics card driver windows hql certified ?
Ideallywe should first install whql drivers then think of something else.

Hope to help everybody I can.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think you may be having PSU issues

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Havent we had a few people through here with GEIL RAM problems.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs