forgets cmos settings

alexi

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Once and a while, every few days my computer forgets its cmos settings on boot, and I have to re-enter the time and the cpu parameters. The computer boots fine for a few days, but then out of no where it boots and asks me to load the defaults or enter set up. This has been happening for like month. I changed the battery on the board and this still happens. The bios reads the 12v rail as 11.178, could that have something to do with it? Also, probe reads the 12v as 11.776, which do you think is more reliable?

thanks

asus a7v880
xp 2800
antec true 550

CMOS battery sounds like it may be dying - Buy a new one they are dirt cheap.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
He just said he has already changed the battery. Anyway as long as his computer is plugged in he wont need the battery. The battery on my Athlon T'bird system has been dead for ages but as long as the computer is plugged in it keeps the data on CMOS using the 5v standby power.

Im not sure exactly what your problem is but try updating the motherboards BIOS. It wont have anything to do with a low 12v rail.

alexi

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
I updated to the latest bios a few months ago. When I did that though I recieved a checksum error when the computer rebooted. So going back to an earlier one might be a good idea, thanks.

alexi

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
I tried downgrading the bios, and it didnt work. I put the bios that came on the support cd I got with the board on a floppy. I went into EZ flash, it said that it found the right rom, and that it was reading it, and then it says it cant find it. Instead of asking me if I want to reboot, it went into an endless cycle of checking the floppy for the rom, with no way to get out of it, so I just shut the computer off. At this point im like f this, I'll just get a new board. Any suggestions on a good athlon xp sata board that wont give me any crap?

I updated to the latest bios a few months ago. When I did that though I recieved a checksum error when the computer rebooted. So going back to an earlier one might be a good idea, thanks.

Thats normal for most M/Bs the BIOS flash normally wipes the stored data and it has to be reset, {date, time, etc.}, that doesn't mean somethings wrong with the M/B, check the CMOS clearing jumper, make sure theres no accumulation of dust around it that could ground it.

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=20385#p20385" target="_new"> My Puter </A>

I tried downgrading the bios, and it didnt work. I put the bios that came on the support cd I got with the board on a floppy. I went into EZ flash, it said that it found the right rom, and that it was reading it, and then it says it cant find it. Instead of asking me if I want to reboot, it went into an endless cycle of checking the floppy for the rom, with no way to get out of it, so I just shut the computer off. At this point im like f this, I'll just get a new board. Any suggestions on a good athlon xp sata board that wont give me any crap?

Just a future Note; Never turn off the computer with a failed BIOS Flash, if its started to write and fails and you turn off the computer your M/B is toast, always leave yourself a way out and download not only the flash you need but a couple of previous flashes just in case something goes wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And honestly if you don't have a clue as to what you're doing, Don't Do It!

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=20385#p20385" target="_new"> My Puter </A>

alexi

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
The board works fine now eventhough the update failed. I typed that it couldnt find the rom even though it said it did, so I didnt stop it during its write. Who do you take me for, a noob? There was no way to stop it from endlessly checking the floppy, so I had no choice. Anyway, the jumper appears to be fine, and is in the right position.