Online verizon retailers VS Local verizon retailers? Help

Last response: in Network Providers
September 5, 2004 4:00:37 PM

I'm getting ready to jump from Cingular to Verizon for connection quality
issues.

I've decides to go with the Motorola V60 phone.The online guy's will provide
it free with the rebate scenarios but my local Verizon retailers seem to
want about $50-80 out of my pocket for the same rate plan and phone.

Is there a big down side to signing on with a reputable online retailer and
should I ultimately expect to be able to haggle locally and get them to
match the online offers?

Thanks,
Brad
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:00:38 PM

"B.Steinfeld" <Brad6260@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to jump from Cingular to Verizon for connection quality
> issues.
>
> I've decides to go with the Motorola V60 phone.The online guy's will
provide
> it free with the rebate scenarios but my local Verizon retailers seem to
> want about $50-80 out of my pocket for the same rate plan and phone.
>
> Is there a big down side to signing on with a reputable online retailer
and
> should I ultimately expect to be able to haggle locally and get them to
> match the online offers?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

Have you seen the TV ads for cable versus Sat? The salesperson says "Sir..
We have to get commissions"..... Any surprise that a local store that pays
bills and salaries charges more than online?

It simply amazes me that people want to drive to a store and buy it locally
and haggle on price, rather than get it cheaper online, with the exact same
warranty, and have it delivered to their door..Or go to an FAO Schwartz
toystore and buy the exact same thing for more than it is at Toys-r-us.....
Why is that?
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:13:08 PM

You are fine to purchase online for the better price.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"B.Steinfeld" <Brad6260@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to jump from Cingular to Verizon for connection quality
> issues.
>
> I've decides to go with the Motorola V60 phone.The online guy's will
provide
> it free with the rebate scenarios but my local Verizon retailers seem to
> want about $50-80 out of my pocket for the same rate plan and phone.
>
> Is there a big down side to signing on with a reputable online retailer
and
> should I ultimately expect to be able to haggle locally and get them to
> match the online offers?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 7:51:33 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
>Or go to an FAO Schwartz
> toystore and buy the exact same thing for more than it is at
> Toys-r-us.....
> Why is that?

Going a way off topic here, when I was down in the city (Long Island
NY) I would stop in to get the FAO Swartz Tee for my wife. She liked
the shirts.

Elector
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 7:51:34 PM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> >Or go to an FAO Schwartz
> > toystore and buy the exact same thing for more than it is at
> > Toys-r-us.....
> > Why is that?
> >

> Going a way off topic here, when I was down in the city (Long Island
> NY) I would stop in to get the FAO Swartz Tee for my wife. She liked
> the shirts.
>
> Elector

Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt with every
phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder what they can do in
the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a t-shirt... Verizon heavy socks
maybe? :)
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 7:51:35 PM

In article <2q0slvFpv8ohU1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt with
> every phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder what they
> can do in the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a t-shirt...
> Verizon heavy socks maybe? :)

I tried to order a V710 on line; it would give me the two-year contract
price (or the one-year if I wanted it), but it would not give me the
new-every-two $100 discount. The Verizon store gave me that discount
without my asking for it. I had the phone the same day instead of
having to wait two to four days for shipping. All it cost me was some
time and about a buck's worth of gas--maybe not even that much gas.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <2q0slvFpv8ohU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt with
> > every phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder what they
> > can do in the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a t-shirt...
> > Verizon heavy socks maybe? :)
>
> I tried to order a V710 on line; it would give me the two-year contract
> price (or the one-year if I wanted it), but it would not give me the
> new-every-two $100 discount. The Verizon store gave me that discount
> without my asking for it. I had the phone the same day instead of
> having to wait two to four days for shipping. All it cost me was some
> time and about a buck's worth of gas--maybe not even that much gas.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Did you get a t-shirt or socks? :)
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 7:51:37 PM

In article <2q1hj6Fq0k14U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt
> > > with every phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder
> > > what they can do in the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a
> > > t-shirt... Verizon heavy socks maybe? :)
> >
> > I tried to order a V710 on line; it would give me the two-year
> > contract price (or the one-year if I wanted it), but it would not
> > give me the new-every-two $100 discount. The Verizon store gave me
> > that discount without my asking for it. I had the phone the same
> > day instead of having to wait two to four days for shipping. All
> > it cost me was some time and about a buck's worth of gas--maybe not
> > even that much gas.
> >

> Did you get a t-shirt or socks? :)

No, but I did get a handshake.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 9:01:35 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt
> with every
> phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder what they can
> do in
> the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a t-shirt... Verizon
> heavy socks
> maybe? :)

Now that sounds about right for the Northeast and parts of the country
that gets cold. But I don't think the folks in California or texas
would want them. ha ha Stick to those T's

Elector
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 9:01:36 PM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:p DH_c.9585$2s.4859@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt
> > with every
> > phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder what they can
> > do in
> > the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a t-shirt... Verizon
> > heavy socks
> > maybe? :)
> >

> Now that sounds about right for the Northeast and parts of the country
> that gets cold. But I don't think the folks in California or texas
> would want them. ha ha Stick to those T's
>
> Elector

Okay, how bout socks with pockets to keep the cellphone in? And in the cold
areas, you could keep those "hand warmer" things in em too, to keep your
feet warm? (Aka the football guys that keep pens in their socks for
autographs). I can just imagine it, the campaign could use slogans like
"Verizon is neat for feet" :)
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:28:21 AM

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <2q0slvFpv8ohU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe that's the ticket.. Verizon should give out a free t-shirt with
> > every phone they sell at the local stores.... I just wonder what they
> > can do in the middle of winter.. I sure wouldn't want a t-shirt...
> > Verizon heavy socks maybe? :)
>
> I tried to order a V710 on line; it would give me the two-year contract
> price (or the one-year if I wanted it), but it would not give me the
> new-every-two $100 discount. The Verizon store gave me that discount
> without my asking for it. I had the phone the same day instead of
> having to wait two to four days for shipping. All it cost me was some
> time and about a buck's worth of gas--maybe not even that much gas.

That's the opposite of my experience LOL. Online (and subsequent call to
611) showed that I was eligible for upgrades on my line and my husband's
family share secondary line. It showed the upgrade price plus NE2 discount
PLUS immediate credit for the $70 rebate (instead of me having to mail it in
if I had bought at the store) with free shipping. My husband's line showed
the same (except for the NE2). As I could wait for my phone, I ordered it
online. Unfortunately he ran over his with the lawnmower (ack!) and needed
to pick it up asap. So we had to drive an hour to the store, wait for two
hours just to to get to speak with a salesperson who at first told us that
we were NOT eligible for the upgrade yet until I showed him my online
printout and gave him the name of the person at 611 I spoke with (that's a
whole other tale), have said salesperson quote the phone my husband wanted
at $50 more than what the online price was quoted and when asked about it
admitted that was with the "highly recommended accessory package." He has
his phone that day but wasted quite a bit of time and a little gas and has
to mail in the rebate. I have to wait for my phone a few days but would have
skipped all else if I hadn't had to help him with his.

--
JennL
Anonymous

In article <9qM_c.4977$5Y6.4283@trnddc07>,
"ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote:

> That's the opposite of my experience LOL. Online (and subsequent call
> to 611) showed that I was eligible for upgrades on my line and my
> husband's family share secondary line. It showed the upgrade price
> plus NE2 discount PLUS immediate credit for the $70 rebate (instead
> of me having to mail it in if I had bought at the store) with free
> shipping.

Yeah, it showed me the immediate $70 rebate also; maybe if I had waited
another day, it would have shown me the NE2 credit. It's too late now,
though. <wry smile>

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:00:03 AM

> In article <9qM_c.4977$5Y6.4283@trnddc07>,
> "ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote:
>
> > That's the opposite of my experience LOL. Online (and subsequent call
> > to 611) showed that I was eligible for upgrades on my line and my
> > husband's family share secondary line. It showed the upgrade price
> > plus NE2 discount PLUS immediate credit for the $70 rebate (instead
> > of me having to mail it in if I had bought at the store) with free
> > shipping.
>
> Yeah, it showed me the immediate $70 rebate also; maybe if I had waited
> another day, it would have shown me the NE2 credit. It's too late now,
> though. <wry smile>
>
> --

I'm glad it worked out well for you. I wish I could say the same of our
store experience 8-|

--
JennL
Anonymous

>> > I tried to order a V710 on line; it would give me the two-year
>> > contract price (or the one-year if I wanted it), but it would not
>> > give me the new-every-two $100 discount. The Verizon store gave
>> > me
>> > that discount without my asking for it. I had the phone the same
>> > day instead of having to wait two to four days for shipping. All
>> > it cost me was some time and about a buck's worth of gas--maybe
>> > not
>> > even that much gas.
>> >

>> Did you get a t-shirt or socks? :)
>
> No, but I did get a handshake.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Ha ha Peter your making me laugh like crazy! Now that Verizon can only
give hand shakes the T's and socks will no longer be an option as an
inducement. Handshakes cost zero. Now verizon will send all those
t-shirts and socks back to the factory. Darn and I was going to buy
another phone this week for my wife.

Elector
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:55:47 PM

> "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message

> >> Did you get a t-shirt or socks? :)
> >
> > No, but I did get a handshake.
> >
> > --
> > Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
>
> Ha ha Peter your making me laugh like crazy! Now that Verizon can only
> give hand shakes the T's and socks will no longer be an option as an
> inducement. Handshakes cost zero. Now verizon will send all those
> t-shirts and socks back to the factory. Darn and I was going to buy
> another phone this week for my wife.
>
> Elector

Actually, I was reading in another thread about phones that get "hot", and
when I put it together with the socks with pockets to warm your feet, I
realized that the new phones may be technologically right for doing double
duty. I think you're right about them doing it free will never happen, but
maybe they will sell em real cheap to get rid of em, and we can buy em up
and sell em on ebay to make our fortune. A fortune would be real handy when
the bills come, I'd sure like to experience being rich, just once I'd like
to be able to walk into a store and buy something without having to worry
"how much".... :)

Just re-read the above, and now I have handshakes and feet mixed up in my
mind... boggles my mind to think about shaking feet..... must be time for a
nap.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:55:48 PM

In article <2q371rFqu2rqU1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just re-read the above, and now I have handshakes and feet mixed up
> in my mind... boggles my mind to think about shaking feet..... must
> be time for a nap.

Just don't get shaking hands and shaking booties mixed up.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:55:49 PM

> In article <2q371rFqu2rqU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just re-read the above, and now I have handshakes and feet mixed up
> > in my mind... boggles my mind to think about shaking feet..... must
> > be time for a nap.
>
> Just don't get shaking hands and shaking booties mixed up.
>
> --

Ack! woke up from my nap, feeling rested, and now after your post started
thinking about arm amputees that do things with their feet, and wondering
how they shake "hands", and wonder what an "armed" person is supposed to do
when introduced to them... All this thinking is tiring me out again.

Thank god it's a holiday, I'm going out to the hammock and nap some more.
(and just to keep this cellphone related, I'll take my cellphone with me :)
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:55:50 PM

Peter Pan wrote:

> "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
>
>>Just don't get shaking hands and shaking booties mixed up.
>
> Ack! woke up from my nap, feeling rested, and now after your post started
> thinking about arm amputees that do things with their feet, and wondering
> how they shake "hands", and wonder what an "armed" person is supposed to do
> when introduced to them... All this thinking is tiring me out again.

Uh, that's ok, I read "shaking booties" and thought y'all were talking about
disco dancing.

September 7, 2004 6:21:18 PM

I'm an agent, which makes me biased. No matter who you do, you'll get the
same quality Verizon Customer Service *611; that said, that is where the
differences begin.

While this story will tell how we help; we prefer to help those who buy from
us. If we help someone else, like below, it is to develop our reputation
and help get that next new customer line of service. If there was a
conflict between one of "my" customers, and someone who is "not" my
customer; we refer them to *611, as I have to treat my customers first and
special, because that is who we are! They might pay more, but they get
MORE.

As an agent; a person came to me after getting "NO" from the Radio Shack
where he bought the phone/service as well as from the corporate store.
(We've also helped people who bought over the internet) He had a T730 that
was acting up and needed a warranty exchange. Radio Shack said they'd send
it in (odd, but okay); Corporate Store said go to Radio Shack; 1st call to
Customer Service said go to Radio Shack.

I/we persisted, asked for a supervisor and had a FRU phone sent out. Why
buy from me? I work harder for you and if there is a problem, will navigate
the system to get you treated best & fair. That is what makes me/us
different. Although we didn't do anything that the person couldn't do for
themselves!

If you never need that type of help, then buy from the cheapest source. If
you have a problem, again go back to that cheapest source for support. To
be "better" I need to make money; which is why my price may be slighly
higher; and my service slighly higher.

Editorial: A friend was solicited to buy stocks from a broker in New York.
He declined saying he prefered to buy local. His reasoning: if there was a
problem, he wanted to be able to walk into their office and "kick some but".
Buy off the web, get a better price perhaps, but if it falls short, no
"butt". I put my rear on the line every day; as my reputation and quality
of service is all that makes me different. Some think better.
--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

"B.Steinfeld" <Brad6260@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to jump from Cingular to Verizon for connection quality
> issues.
>
> I've decides to go with the Motorola V60 phone.The online guy's will
provide
> it free with the rebate scenarios but my local Verizon retailers seem to
> want about $50-80 out of my pocket for the same rate plan and phone.
>
> Is there a big down side to signing on with a reputable online retailer
and
> should I ultimately expect to be able to haggle locally and get them to
> match the online offers?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 6:55:29 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:21:18 GMT, "dr.wireMORE"
<dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
life, the universe, and everything:

>I'm an agent,

Do you have a web site? I tried the part after the @ in your email addy,
but didn't get anything.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"We're all tired. But we WILL go on with Halloween, darn it. That's the
kind of nation we are." - Dave Barry
!