motherboard without CPU question

univguy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
I have just purchased a new motherboard because the old one was broken. After installing the processor and everything else, when I turn on the system there is no startup display or anyting on the screen. I am trying to isolate the problem and my real question is, if a working and correctly setup motherboard with a broken CPU is powered on will I at least see some sort of a BIOS startup? I am beginning to think that the CPU is dead.

Thanks

What happened to the previous mobo? Have you tried the troubleshooting guide in the FAQ at the beginning of the forum?

univguy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
The previous mobo I think was damaged by yours truly. I think I damaged it with the slip of a screw driver, or maybe when the power supply burned and let some sparks fly. I believe that is when the processor got fried, even though there are no visible burn marks. I think the voltage regulators located all around the CPU where not enough to protect it from maybe a high spike in voltage when the power supply sparked up.

I bought a very cheap $40 PC Chip mobo to replace it and now it looks like I will have to replace the P4 2Ghz with a cheap Celeron D CPU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does it power up?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>