Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
my pc config
intel core2duo e4600 2.4ghz
2 gb ram
nvidia 9600 gt (gigabyte)
gigabyte motherboard GA-G31M-S2L
windows 7

i used to have decent gaming performance from my pc until recently.now my frame rate have gone down badly.i had this problem ealier and found out it was due to dust i have cleaned the pc i had increase in performance when it started to slow down again i cleaned my pc again formatted it installed the latest drivers. in some game frames get stuck for a sec at a 5 second interval.others have really bad frame rate even if though my pc meets the min requirement i tried the setting at low and still the problem persists. could it be the processor heatsink is not working or something. i have placed a fan under my graphic card to keep it cool.

G

Have you tried monitoring the temperatures of your components yet? Overheating can be a real problem.

Also, have you scanned for any viruses/spyware? Try a scan with you anti-virus, and with MalwareBytes.

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Which games are you playing and at what resolution ?? Did you use to play those before and performed better than now?? Could be an overheating CPU temps but yours are not that high...Is that idle or after a few hours of game playing ? How is your PC experience when doing other tasks, like browsing the Internet ??

G

Temperatures seem okay to me. Did you scan in safe mode?

I'm not too sure about it, but for some reason I'm thinking about the hard drive. Is it defragmented? Try to use a program like JkDefrag or Defraggler instead of the windows tool.

Are you having painfully slow transfer times? Try copying a large file from one part of the drive, into another.

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

When do you observe these temps after sometime of game-play or after having the pc sitting doing nothing on desktop ?

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, i had the same problem once when i had a 9600 gt, well it was due to dust, what ,i did,- removed the gpu and cleaned it [ air] and removed display drivers, and re installed, just in case-
And it was up and running, well still is, [but in a closed box now] :D

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Iv never known dust to slow a pc down , its either a software fault (to much running in back ground?, win7 annoying pausing problem due to missing updates?) or posibly your psu is struggling (psu ratings?). your cpu cooler could do with a dedust and new thermal paste looking at those temps to, my e5300 idles at 20*c with intel stock cooler and never exceeds 50*c while gaming. your 96gt is fine as mine idled at 36-38*c. what games are giving you this slowdown/pausing?

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

I was thinking of cpu thermal throttling kicking in, which drops down cpu speed if it reaches high temperatures to prevent damage...

00livevil00

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

thermal paste?
games like singularity, blur, darksiders, fifa 11