via or nvidia chipset

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Want to upgrade to socket 939. Not sure which to get. I already have a 6800gt.
I have been looking at the epox nf3 mobo.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Good choice. Definitely get an nForce3 chipset. MSI, Epox, DFI also make good 939 boards.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
What about this stuttering issue with nf3/6xxxx series cards. I hear a lot of it and some people are saying get via.
what about the 9nda3j. i don't need firewire.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rumcooler on 08/22/05 05:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Another vote for nF3. The stuttering issue was also related to OCing the vid card. I think Ned had some issues along those lines...

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Thanks guys, two more questons.
I want to get a tagan 480 ps I hear they are good. Also want to get the 80 gig sata seagate drive. What do you think?

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I was in exactly the same position as you a few weeks ago, was gonna get the abit AV8 3rd eye but then at the last minite changed by mind and got the nforce3 DFI lan party. Im using a geforce 6800 and have experienced no problems in battlefield2 what so ever.

I have 2xseagate hard drives and they are very nice and quiet, the performance is great to. The only thing I suggest is maybe going for somthing a lil bigger (160GB perhaps). Hard drives are so cheap nowadays and the extra space could come in handy.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Assuming since he's 'upgrading to 939', he's got an AGP video card.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The order of chipset preference would be nVidia, ATI, SiS, ULI, any third-rate maker, then VIA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>