Sign in with
Your question

Some effects in Oblivion are choppy - using mods

Last response: in Video Games
October 3, 2010 10:03:05 PM

Hey guys, I recently decided to build my own gaming PC in order to play games like Crysis, Oblivion, Fallout3, Neverwinter Nights, The Witcher, etc. Anyway, I had played Oblivion on the Xbox 360 and loved it. But after finishing everything to do in the game and DLC, I wanted more. So I transferred my 360 savefile over to my new PC and started to download some mods for it. The only mod I have downloaded so far has been the Oblivion Audio and Visual Overhaul. You can see the specs in the link below.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Obl...

I run the game maxed out at 1920X1200 res with HDR lighting. This mod really improves the visuals of the game considerably. The only problem that I have encountered is tha effects like fire, doors (gates) opening, explosions, other magic effects are very choppy. I don't mean that the game itself is choppy, just these few effects. I can stand and look at a torch and doesn't move except for every 6~7 seconds. Same with magic. I can cast an exploding fireball and sit there and watch the explosion slowly expand for 30 seconds before it goes away. There is NO lag anywhere else. Every other aspect of the game runs very smoothly. I don't think that the effects lag is harware related.

Any suggestions guys?

My current rig is:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz D0 Stepping
Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler w/ 2 Scythe 120mm fans
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) 7-7-7-21
Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC (primary)
BFG GTX 285 OC (secondary for PhysX)
Cooler Master HAFX CASE
Intel X-25 80GB SSD (primary OS storage)
Western Digital Velocirapter 300 GB (secondary for Gaming)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (for Misc storage)

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
October 4, 2010 1:48:53 AM

It could be the mod itself or the a few of your mods are slightly conflicting with each other.
m
l
July 12, 2011 12:50:18 AM

jmack5864 said:
Hey guys, I recently decided to build my own gaming PC in order to play games like Crysis, Oblivion, Fallout3, Neverwinter Nights, The Witcher, etc. Anyway, I had played Oblivion on the Xbox 360 and loved it. But after finishing everything to do in the game and DLC, I wanted more. So I transferred my 360 savefile over to my new PC and started to download some mods for it. The only mod I have downloaded so far has been the Oblivion Audio and Visual Overhaul. You can see the specs in the link below.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Obl...

I run the game maxed out at 1920X1200 res with HDR lighting. This mod really improves the visuals of the game considerably. The only problem that I have encountered is tha effects like fire, doors (gates) opening, explosions, other magic effects are very choppy. I don't mean that the game itself is choppy, just these few effects. I can stand and look at a torch and doesn't move except for every 6~7 seconds. Same with magic. I can cast an exploding fireball and sit there and watch the explosion slowly expand for 30 seconds before it goes away. There is NO lag anywhere else. Every other aspect of the game runs very smoothly. I don't think that the effects lag is harware related.

Any suggestions guys?

My current rig is:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz D0 Stepping
Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler w/ 2 Scythe 120mm fans
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) 7-7-7-21
Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC (primary)
BFG GTX 285 OC (secondary for PhysX)
Cooler Master HAFX CASE
Intel X-25 80GB SSD (primary OS storage)
Western Digital Velocirapter 300 GB (secondary for Gaming)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (for Misc storage)

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

//////////////////////////////////////////

Hey man, I have just started experiencing the EXACT same thing (note: up until today it had NEVER happened before. Did you get any answers to this problem?
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2011 1:40:49 AM

I think the issue with Oblivion is that it will NOT use more than 2 gigs of memory. At least for some reason I remember this being why the game gets choppy like that at high resolutions when using mods that take up a lot more memory than the game normally would.

I had this issue when I was running every popular mod, qarls texture pack and a crap load of other little mods here and there, I probably had over 100 mods.

At the time there was a mod I believe to let oblivion use more memory, but it was very complex to set up.

m
l
July 12, 2011 2:54:01 AM

i think there is an .ini file tweak to allow it to use more memory. go through the oblivion tweak guide.
m
l
July 21, 2011 12:22:42 PM

Certain mods mess around with the games audio files, some characters will all of a sudden become mutes etc, echoing sounds, glitchy music....if you use a mod,...use the OMOD version and get the latest OMOD appl.
m
l
!