Doom 3 Mars City map?

I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.

Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
visual feel for how the rooms tie together?

Thanks,
Bruce.
33 answers Last reply
More about doom mars city
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:07:10 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

    > I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
    > map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
    > visual feel for how the rooms tie together?

    The Prima Official Game Guide has maps of all levels. It should have come
    down in price now.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Graeme wasted my time on 1/19/2005 11:15 PM with the following:
    > The Prima Official Game Guide has maps of all levels. It should have
    come
    > down in price now.

    Yeah, don't go to http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/doom3/doom3.htm and
    save yourself money.

    --
    Noob - "do you hack?"
    Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"

    Overhead view:

    http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/map_marscity2.htm

    HTH

    M.W.H

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
    > map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
    > visual feel for how the rooms tie together?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bruce.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "M.W.H" <mapson_no@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Overhead view:
    >
    >http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/map_marscity2.htm

    Interesting. Does anybody find these overheads useful? Not to rag on the
    creator, who obviously went through a lot of trouble. But I've played D3
    through a few times and had trouble recognizing many familiar areas of the
    game on any of those maps. The Hell map was especially obscure.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

    Scott Amspoker wasted my time on 1/20/2005 4:45 PM with the following:

    > Interesting. Does anybody find these overheads useful? Not to rag on the
    > creator, who obviously went through a lot of trouble. But I've played D3
    > through a few times and had trouble recognizing many familiar areas of the
    > game on any of those maps. The Hell map was especially obscure.

    With labels, perhaps they'd be more helpful. As far as getting the
    overhead view, it looks like the creator just noclipped and took a bunch
    of screens and meshed them together. The problem with recognizing
    anything is that the overheads have depth to them (and no labels, which
    are pretty much essential to an overhead)

    This overhead seems more like an overview of the map (hence
    weapon/monster/item stats below it) than a walkthrough-type thing.

    Or something.

    Personally, I never get so stuck as to use a walkthrough to get out of
    it, plain ole' text usually does the trick for me, and the visual
    walkthrough seemed to help a friend of mine who got stuck several times.

    --
    Noob - "do you hack?"
    Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
    Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
    Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "M.W.H" <mapson_no@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Overhead view:
    >
    > http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/map_marscity2.htm

    Thanks!

    Bruce.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting. Does anybody find these overheads useful? Not to rag on the
    > creator, who obviously went through a lot of trouble.

    I agree too. I would have preferred a simple blueprint type layout with
    room/area labels that match what Doom3 displays as I walk around.

    Bruce.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Graeme wasted my time on 1/19/2005 11:15 PM with the following:
    > > The Prima Official Game Guide has maps of all levels. It should
    > have come
    >> down in price now.
    >
    > Yeah, don't go to http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/doom3/doom3.htm
    > and save yourself money.

    ROFLMAO!
    McG.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
    > map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
    > visual feel for how the rooms tie together?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bruce.

    Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
    another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from above.

    --
    Cycho{HHR}
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
    > another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from
    > above.

    Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
    the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

    I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.

    Bruce.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
    >> another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from
    >> above.
    >
    >Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
    >the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

    The last game where I saw that was Descent. On large complex levels, its
    3D automaps became a confusing mess. It's not surprising to me that FPS
    games in recent years have dispensed with the automap feature.

    >I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.

    I think D3 would have benefitted more from better level design. At times
    it's like being lost in a hedge maze. Those overhead maps really drove
    the point home with me.

    As much as I appreciate the rich complexity of the D3's virtual world,
    there is a sameness to that complexity throughout the levels. Perhaps if
    they made better use of distinguishing features and open spaces the player
    wouldn't get so disoriented. Hell, just LEAVING THE DEAD MONSTERS LYING
    AROUND would've made a *huge* difference with me.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    ^ my email |
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:39:07 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

    > Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
    > the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

    I think that was Descent.

    > I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.

    Personally, I finished the game, and never really felt the need for a map
    view. There is generally only one way (linear) to proceed. Just keep
    moving in the only direction you can!

    Linux Registered User #327951
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    that was Descent, IIRC...

    > Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game
    where
    > the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.
    >
    > I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.
    >
    > Bruce.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > I think D3 would have benefitted more from better level design. At times
    > it's like being lost in a hedge maze. Those overhead maps really drove
    > the point home with me.

    I agree. I'm having a ton of trouble finding my way around without some
    kind of a map aid. Mars City was very confusing for me. If not for a
    walkthrough that helped me find the room with the level exit, I'd still be
    lost in that maze.

    Bruce.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:21:59 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

    > I agree. I'm having a ton of trouble finding my way around without some
    > kind of a map aid. Mars City was very confusing for me. If not for a
    > walkthrough that helped me find the room with the level exit, I'd still be
    > lost in that maze.

    I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
    only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
    been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?

    Linux Registered User #327951
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
    > I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
    > only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
    > been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?

    I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I felt as
    lost as being in a maze.

    Bruce.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:09:07 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

    >> I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
    >> only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
    >> been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?

    > I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I felt as
    > lost as being in a maze.

    Well, you must not have been paying much attention to where you were going
    (and where you had been). The different paths are all dead ends, except
    for the only path that actually leads you forward. Shrug.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
    >> I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
    >> only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
    >> been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?
    >
    >I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I felt as
    >lost as being in a maze.

    There's a lot of branching and backtracking in D3. Sure, often the
    forward direction is obvious, but it is easy to get turned around and not
    realize it right away.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    ^ my email |
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on
    >> top of another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map
    >> drawn from above.
    >
    > Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game
    > where the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and
    > rotated.
    > I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Descent.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >> "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on
    >>> top of another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map
    >>> drawn from above.
    >>
    >> Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a
    >> game where the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned
    >> and rotated.
    >
    > The last game where I saw that was Descent. On large complex levels,
    > its 3D automaps became a confusing mess. It's not surprising to me
    > that FPS games in recent years have dispensed with the automap
    > feature.
    >
    >> I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.
    >
    > I think D3 would have benefitted more from better level design. At
    > times it's like being lost in a hedge maze. Those overhead maps
    > really drove the point home with me.
    >
    > As much as I appreciate the rich complexity of the D3's virtual world,
    > there is a sameness to that complexity throughout the levels.
    > Perhaps if they made better use of distinguishing features and open
    > spaces the player wouldn't get so disoriented. Hell, just LEAVING
    > THE DEAD MONSTERS LYING AROUND would've made a *huge* difference with
    > me.

    That you can do, leave the bodies lying around. To me, they are
    landmarks. They show my progress ;) Breadcrumbs in the forest, etc.
    I just have to remember how I did it now :o\
    McG.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 5:52 PM with the following:
    > That you can do, leave the bodies lying around. To me, they are
    > landmarks. They show my progress ;) Breadcrumbs in the forest, etc.
    > I just have to remember how I did it now :o\
    > McG.

    No.
    Gibbing.
    Mod.

    =)

    Although you can leave zombie/zsec bodies around as breadcrumbs as long
    as you don't hit em hard enough to gib em. Stupid zombies.

    --
    Noob - "do you hack?"
    Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
    Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
    Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 5:52 PM with the following:
    >> That you can do, leave the bodies lying around. To me, they are
    >> landmarks. They show my progress ;) Breadcrumbs in the forest, etc.
    >> I just have to remember how I did it now :o\
    >> McG.
    >>

    > No.
    > Gibbing.
    > Mod.
    >

    > =)
    >
    > Although you can leave zombie/zsec bodies around as breadcrumbs as
    > long as you don't hit em hard enough to gib em. Stupid zombies.

    Ah yes, that's it, UnGibbable mod :) That's one way. The way I was
    speaking of is a cvar.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 10:31 PM with the following:

    > Ah yes, that's it, UnGibbable mod :) That's one way. The way I was
    > speaking of is a cvar.

    Well the ungibbable probably primarily changes the cvar then. I dunno,
    I just never used that particular mod.

    http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/fullcvarlist.htm

    Thats where the cvar is. My guess is g_bloodEffects, but I don't really
    feel like closing Radiant to open my copy of Doom3, so you'll have to
    mess around with it.

    --
    Noob - "do you hack?"
    Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
    Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
    Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    SnoopJeDi <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

    >McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 10:31 PM with the following:
    >

    >> Ah yes, that's it, UnGibbable mod :) That's one way. The way I was
    >> speaking of is a cvar.
    >>

    >Well the ungibbable probably primarily changes the cvar then. I dunno,
    >I just never used that particular mod.
    >
    >http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/fullcvarlist.htm
    >
    >Thats where the cvar is. My guess is g_bloodEffects...

    Nope. Just tried it. It's "1" by default. I set it to "0". Corpses
    still disappear.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    ^ my email |
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
    >>> I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to
    >>> proceed in only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember
    >>> that you've already been somewhere if you start going backwards,
    >>> but how hard is that?
    >>
    >> I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I
    >> felt as lost as being in a maze.
    >
    > There's a lot of branching and backtracking in D3. Sure, often the
    > forward direction is obvious, but it is easy to get turned around and
    > not realize it right away.

    Especially if you want to explore every nook and cranny in the game :)
    Getting lost is fun, getting un-lost is fun too. It's the nature of
    exploration ;)
    McG.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:10:13 +0200, Sir Robin
    <sir@robsku.NO-SPAM-REMOVE-THIS.cjb.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:39:07 GMT, "Bruce Chastain"
    ><bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
    >>> another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from
    >>> above.
    >>
    >>Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
    >>the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.
    >
    >One game that had map like that was descent - is that what you mean?
    >That was a great idea for map... I have wondered since quake why they
    >won't use similiar concept...

    The reason it isn't used is mainly because some people have trouble
    interpreting the map, especially for some maps that were tightly packed.

    The last game I know that does this was Descent 3, and that wasn't the best
    implementation - when you picked the full map, you couldn't instantly tell
    which areas you visited or not.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game
    > where the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

    Wasn't that Duke3D?
    You could have the map overlay where you were and it was an exact fit
    As you rotated, moved, the map kept in sync.

    SH
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > One game that had map like that was descent - is that what you mean?
    > That was a great idea for map... I have wondered since quake why they
    > won't use similiar concept...

    What are you doing here :-) ?
    Get back to playing Alien Vendetta !!!

    Cheers

    SH
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:07:47 -0000, "Stephen Howe"
    <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:

    >> Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game
    >> where the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.
    >
    >Wasn't that Duke3D?
    >You could have the map overlay where you were and it was an exact fit
    >As you rotated, moved, the map kept in sync.

    Actually, that's a 2D Automap. Otherwise, it entirely fits the bill.

    The Duke3D is also a bit wierd in it's map design - E2L11 and E3L10 both
    contain overlapped rooms (in X, Y and Z coordinates.)
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Stephen Howe wasted my time on 1/24/2005 12:07 AM with the following:
    > Wasn't that Duke3D?
    > You could have the map overlay where you were and it was an exact fit
    > As you rotated, moved, the map kept in sync.
    >
    > SH

    But you couldn't move it yourself, and it couldn't be zoomed =)

    <3 Dook.

    --
    Noob - "do you hack?"
    Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
    Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
    Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:12:43 -0500, SnoopJeDi
    <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Stephen Howe wasted my time on 1/24/2005 12:07 AM with the following:
    >> Wasn't that Duke3D?
    >> You could have the map overlay where you were and it was an exact fit
    >> As you rotated, moved, the map kept in sync.
    >>
    >> SH
    >>

    >But you couldn't move it yourself, and it couldn't be zoomed =)

    Actually, you can do both in that game.

    'F' for Follow Mode (follows cursor keys rather than your character). '=',
    '-', and '+' to change zoom.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wasted my time on 1/26/2005 10:33 AM with the following:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:12:43 -0500, SnoopJeDi
    > <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Stephen Howe wasted my time on 1/24/2005 12:07 AM with the following:
    >>
    >>>Wasn't that Duke3D?
    >>>You could have the map overlay where you were and it was an exact fit
    >>>As you rotated, moved, the map kept in sync.
    >>>
    >>>SH
    >>>

    >>But you couldn't move it yourself, and it couldn't be zoomed =)
    >

    > Actually, you can do both in that game.
    >
    > 'F' for Follow Mode (follows cursor keys rather than your character). '=',
    > '-', and '+' to change zoom.

    Never knew that.

    Still, Duke3d was so easy....I never found myself using the map.

    --
    Noob - "do you hack?"
    Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
    Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
    Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    s@spamless.rochester.rr.com wrote:
    > "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
    > > map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
    > > visual feel for how the rooms tie together?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Bruce.
    > >

    > Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
    > another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from above.
    > --
    > Cycho{HHR}
    > http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    Thank you