Doom 3 Mars City map?

I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.

Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
visual feel for how the rooms tie together?

Thanks,
Bruce.

graeme

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:07:10 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

> I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
> map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.
>
> Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
> visual feel for how the rooms tie together?

The Prima Official Game Guide has maps of all levels. It should have come
down in price now.

Graeme wasted my time on 1/19/2005 11:15 PM with the following:
> The Prima Official Game Guide has maps of all levels. It should have
come
> down in price now.

Yeah, don't go to http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/doom3/doom3.htm and
save yourself money.

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"

Overhead view:

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/map_marscity2.htm

HTH

M.W.H

"M.W.H" <mapson_no@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Overhead view:
>
>http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/map_marscity2.htm

Interesting. Does anybody find these overheads useful? Not to rag on the
creator, who obviously went through a lot of trouble. But I've played D3
through a few times and had trouble recognizing many familiar areas of the
game on any of those maps. The Hell map was especially obscure.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

Scott Amspoker wasted my time on 1/20/2005 4:45 PM with the following:

> Interesting. Does anybody find these overheads useful? Not to rag on the
> creator, who obviously went through a lot of trouble. But I've played D3
> through a few times and had trouble recognizing many familiar areas of the
> game on any of those maps. The Hell map was especially obscure.

With labels, perhaps they'd be more helpful. As far as getting the
overhead view, it looks like the creator just noclipped and took a bunch
of screens and meshed them together. The problem with recognizing
anything is that the overheads have depth to them (and no labels, which
are pretty much essential to an overhead)

This overhead seems more like an overview of the map (hence
weapon/monster/item stats below it) than a walkthrough-type thing.

Or something.

Personally, I never get so stuck as to use a walkthrough to get out of
it, plain ole' text usually does the trick for me, and the visual
walkthrough seemed to help a friend of mine who got stuck several times.

--

"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Interesting. Does anybody find these overheads useful? Not to rag on the
> creator, who obviously went through a lot of trouble.

I agree too. I would have preferred a simple blueprint type layout with
room/area labels that match what Doom3 displays as I walk around.

Bruce.

"SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Graeme wasted my time on 1/19/2005 11:15 PM with the following:
> > The Prima Official Game Guide has maps of all levels. It should
> have come
>> down in price now.
>
> Yeah, don't go to http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/doom3/doom3.htm
> and save yourself money.

ROFLMAO!
McG.

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I'm in Mars City and completely lost. I REALLY wish Doom3 had the tab key
> map function as previous Doom versions. Sigh.
>
> Does anyone know of a link to a map of Mars City so I could get a better
> visual feel for how the rooms tie together?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce.

Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from above.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
> another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from
> above.

Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.

Bruce.

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on top of
>> another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map drawn from
>> above.
>
>Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
>the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

The last game where I saw that was Descent. On large complex levels, its
3D automaps became a confusing mess. It's not surprising to me that FPS
games in recent years have dispensed with the automap feature.

>I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.

I think D3 would have benefitted more from better level design. At times
it's like being lost in a hedge maze. Those overhead maps really drove
the point home with me.

As much as I appreciate the rich complexity of the D3's virtual world,
there is a sameness to that complexity throughout the levels. Perhaps if
they made better use of distinguishing features and open spaces the player
wouldn't get so disoriented. Hell, just LEAVING THE DEAD MONSTERS LYING
AROUND would've made a *huge* difference with me.

--

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:39:07 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

> Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game where
> the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.

I think that was Descent.

> I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.

Personally, I finished the game, and never really felt the need for a map
view. There is generally only one way (linear) to proceed. Just keep
moving in the only direction you can!

Linux Registered User #327951

that was Descent, IIRC...

> Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game
where
> the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and rotated.
>
> I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.
>
> Bruce.

> I think D3 would have benefitted more from better level design. At times
> it's like being lost in a hedge maze. Those overhead maps really drove
> the point home with me.

I agree. I'm having a ton of trouble finding my way around without some
kind of a map aid. Mars City was very confusing for me. If not for a
walkthrough that helped me find the room with the level exit, I'd still be
lost in that maze.

Bruce.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:21:59 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

> I agree. I'm having a ton of trouble finding my way around without some
> kind of a map aid. Mars City was very confusing for me. If not for a
> walkthrough that helped me find the room with the level exit, I'd still be
> lost in that maze.

I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
> only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
> been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?

I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I felt as
lost as being in a maze.

Bruce.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:09:07 +0000, Bruce Chastain wrote:

>> I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
>> only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
>> been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?

> I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I felt as
> lost as being in a maze.

Well, you must not have been paying much attention to where you were going
(and where you had been). The different paths are all dead ends, except
for the only path that actually leads you forward. Shrug.

Linux Registered User #327951

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
>> I don't see how you could get lost in a map that allows you to proceed in
>> only one direction. I mean, you do need to remember that you've already
>> been somewhere if you start going backwards, but how hard is that?
>
>I found Mars City to have a zillion different paths and choices. I felt as
>lost as being in a maze.

There's a lot of branching and backtracking in D3. Sure, often the
forward direction is obvious, but it is easy to get turned around and not
realize it right away.

--

> "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on
>> top of another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map
>> drawn from above.
>
> Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a game
> where the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned and
> rotated.
> I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.
>
> Bruce.

Descent.

> "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that the original Doom was unable to place one room on
>>> top of another. Hence it was always possible to make a simple map
>>> drawn from above.
>>
>> Yes. I don't remember the name of the game, but I once played a
>> game where the tab key map was in 3D. It could be zoomed, panned
>> and rotated.
>
> The last game where I saw that was Descent. On large complex levels,
> its 3D automaps became a confusing mess. It's not surprising to me
> that FPS games in recent years have dispensed with the automap
> feature.
>
>> I wish they would have done the same with Doom3.
>
> I think D3 would have benefitted more from better level design. At
> times it's like being lost in a hedge maze. Those overhead maps
> really drove the point home with me.
>
> As much as I appreciate the rich complexity of the D3's virtual world,
> there is a sameness to that complexity throughout the levels.
> Perhaps if they made better use of distinguishing features and open
> spaces the player wouldn't get so disoriented. Hell, just LEAVING
> THE DEAD MONSTERS LYING AROUND would've made a *huge* difference with
> me.

That you can do, leave the bodies lying around. To me, they are
landmarks. They show my progress ;) Breadcrumbs in the forest, etc.
I just have to remember how I did it now :eek:\
McG.

McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 5:52 PM with the following:
> That you can do, leave the bodies lying around. To me, they are
> landmarks. They show my progress ;) Breadcrumbs in the forest, etc.
> I just have to remember how I did it now :eek:\
> McG.

No.
Gibbing.
Mod.

=)

Although you can leave zombie/zsec bodies around as breadcrumbs as long
as you don't hit em hard enough to gib em. Stupid zombies.

--

> McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 5:52 PM with the following:
>> That you can do, leave the bodies lying around. To me, they are
>> landmarks. They show my progress ;) Breadcrumbs in the forest, etc.
>> I just have to remember how I did it now :eek:\
>> McG.
>>

> No.
> Gibbing.
> Mod.
>

> =)
>
> Although you can leave zombie/zsec bodies around as breadcrumbs as
> long as you don't hit em hard enough to gib em. Stupid zombies.

Ah yes, that's it, UnGibbable mod :) That's one way. The way I was
speaking of is a cvar.

McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 10:31 PM with the following:

> Ah yes, that's it, UnGibbable mod :) That's one way. The way I was
> speaking of is a cvar.

Well the ungibbable probably primarily changes the cvar then. I dunno,
I just never used that particular mod.

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/fullcvarlist.htm

Thats where the cvar is. My guess is g_bloodEffects, but I don't really
feel like closing Radiant to open my copy of Doom3, so you'll have to
mess around with it.

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"

SnoopJeDi <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

>McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/21/2005 10:31 PM with the following:
>

>> Ah yes, that's it, UnGibbable mod :) That's one way. The way I was
>> speaking of is a cvar.
>>

>Well the ungibbable probably primarily changes the cvar then. I dunno,
>I just never used that particular mod.
>
>http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/fullcvarlist.htm
>
>Thats where the cvar is. My guess is g_bloodEffects...

Nope. Just tried it. It's "1" by default. I set it to "0". Corpses
still disappear.