jDoom Question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 20, 2005 12:46:39 AM

I am a major Doom fanatic.

Just installed jDoom with KickStart 2.09 (no models) on my Win98SE desktop
with DirectX 8.1. It's maxed out at 256K RAM with an AMD-K6 processor with a
Rage II+ video card maxed out at 4M. Well, it runs all the original Doom
programs great...

(BTW, my business computer is a 576M P3/650 laptop, but I do not install
games on it because it interferes with work.)

Direct3D won't initialize, so I selected OpenGL. I got an glBSP error so I
added the -allowsoftware command option.

I turned off my antivirus.

jDoom runs as slow as a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.

Do I need glBSP? Do I need to set options?

Any suggestions?????

More about : jdoom question

January 20, 2005 2:32:46 PM

"Victor" <VictorMoore@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am a major Doom fanatic.
>
> Just installed jDoom with KickStart 2.09 (no models) on my Win98SE desktop
> with DirectX 8.1. It's maxed out at 256K RAM with an AMD-K6 processor with
> Rage II+ video card maxed out at 4M. Well, it runs all the original Doom
> programs great...
>
> (BTW, my business computer is a 576M P3/650 laptop, but I do not install
> games on it because it interferes with work.)
>
> Direct3D won't initialize, so I selected OpenGL. I got an glBSP error so I
> added the -allowsoftware command option.
>
> I turned off my antivirus.
>
> jDoom runs as slow as a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
>
> Do I need glBSP? Do I need to set options?
>
> Any suggestions?????

I encountered the same back in 2001 when I used an AMD 500 and a Voodoo2
(umm, a Righteous Orchid 2 with the same 3DFX chipset as the Voodoo2 card,
to be more precise :) ). JDoom ( which was very basic back then ) ran fine in
Direct3D, but in OpenGL it would only run with the -allowsoftware option,
and then with 1 frame per second, or rather with 1 frame in 3 seconds.

You would get a slideshow even on much faster computers when a program is
using OpenGL commands that are not available on your graphics card and have
to be emulated with software. That means you get no hardware acceleration
for these operations. The cpu will always be too slow for such things, even
much faster ones than yours.

glBSP is only the nodebuilding utility that is used by JDoom, it is running
automatically per default and builds gl-compatible (more precise) nodetables
for the maps you are playing. These are internal game data and have nothing
to do with the OpenGL implemented on your system. JDoom would also play
levels with no gl nodes built, it only would show more rendering errors
(holes in walls, slime trails ... ). glBSP is the utility to build these gl
nodes and it should be launched automatically by your JDoom frontend when
you start a level.

I guess the only thing to try is to uninstall your graphic card drivers and
look for better and newer ones.
Maybe this is a possibility to get JDoom to run. But I think not.

Your graphics card is outdated, you need a better and faster one one. Even
the Voodoo2 compatible card I used back then had 16 MB memory.

The best thing is to buy a cheap GeForce2. This one will rock for all Doom
ports and even much bigger games.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:42:41 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:46:39 -0500, "Victor" <VictorMoore@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am a major Doom fanatic.
>
>Just installed jDoom with KickStart 2.09 (no models) on my Win98SE desktop
>with DirectX 8.1. It's maxed out at 256K RAM with an AMD-K6 processor with a
>Rage II+ video card maxed out at 4M. Well, it runs all the original Doom
>programs great...

Rage II+ sounds like a very old video card that might not support the
necessary features - you might have to upgrade your video card (or perhaps
your computer.) However, the readme does state it meets the minimum
requirements - most likely the slow rendering is caused byattempting to use
special effects.

>(BTW, my business computer is a 576M P3/650 laptop, but I do not install
>games on it because it interferes with work.)
>
>Direct3D won't initialize, so I selected OpenGL. I got an glBSP error so I
>added the -allowsoftware command option.

The first thing I would check would be the driver - specifically how the
latest and previous drivers change the situation. Another poster said the
reasons at why OpenGL wasn't working - you can read his post for more
information.
Related resources
January 20, 2005 11:10:56 PM

"Grieve" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

:
> Your graphics card is outdated, you need a better and faster one one. Even
> the Voodoo2 compatible card I used back then had 16 MB memory.
>
> The best thing is to buy a cheap GeForce2. This one will rock for all Doom
> ports and even much bigger games.

I'd like to upgrade my video card, and I appreciate the recommendation. I
don't want a video card that will already tax my computer - I want a video
card that will add real hardware acceleration to my video (not a card that
"requires a Pentium 800" or whatever, which seems to defeat the purpose).

Is a GeForce2 a PCI card that will do that for me?

Victor
January 21, 2005 5:21:37 PM

> "Grieve" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> :
> > Your graphics card is outdated, you need a better and faster one one.
Even
> > the Voodoo2 compatible card I used back then had 16 MB memory.
> >
> > The best thing is to buy a cheap GeForce2. This one will rock for all
Doom
> > ports and even much bigger games.
>
> I'd like to upgrade my video card, and I appreciate the recommendation. I
> don't want a video card that will already tax my computer - I want a video
> card that will add real hardware acceleration to my video (not a card
that
> "requires a Pentium 800" or whatever, which seems to defeat the purpose).
>
> Is a GeForce2 a PCI card that will do that for me?
>
> Victor

Ow, you are looking for a PCI card ? GeForce cards for PCI were produced
once as far as I know, but they are no longer. Ebay would be the right thing
to look for it.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:01:57 PM

> Just installed jDoom with KickStart 2.09 (no models) on my Win98SE desktop
> with DirectX 8.1. It's maxed out at 256K RAM with an AMD-K6 processor with
> Rage II+ video card maxed out at 4M. Well, it runs all the original Doom
> programs great...
>
> (BTW, my business computer is a 576M P3/650 laptop, but I do not install
> games on it because it interferes with work.)
>
> Direct3D won't initialize...

What is the _exact words_ it complains about?
What version of Direct3D are you running on your computer (find DXDIAG.EXE
on your computer and run that to tell).
If it is not the latest you should consider upgrading (particularly if it
has a minor version number of 0 - not usually Microsofts best efforts)

>, so I selected OpenGL. I got an glBSP error...

That is strange. The Doomsday engine now does it is own node building., it
not longer uses glBSP (I complained about the numerous bugs I found with
Hexen, Heretic WADs)

Again, do you have latest OpenGL driver for your card?

SH
January 21, 2005 7:28:39 PM

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
> > Just installed jDoom with KickStart 2.09 (no models) on my Win98SE
desktop
> > with DirectX 8.1. It's maxed out at 256K RAM with an AMD-K6 processor
with
> > Rage II+ video card maxed out at 4M. Well, it runs all the original Doom
> > programs great...
> >
> > (BTW, my business computer is a 576M P3/650 laptop, but I do not install
> > games on it because it interferes with work.)
> >
> > Direct3D won't initialize...
>
> What is the _exact words_ it complains about?
> What version of Direct3D are you running on your computer (find DXDIAG.EXE
> on your computer and run that to tell).
> If it is not the latest you should consider upgrading (particularly if it
> has a minor version number of 0 - not usually Microsofts best efforts)

I've looked hard into it, and the issue seems to be that my graphics card
just doesn't fully support Direct3D.

> >, so I selected OpenGL. I got an glBSP error...
>
> That is strange. The Doomsday engine now does it is own node building., it
> not longer uses glBSP (I complained about the numerous bugs I found with
> Hexen, Heretic WADs)
>
> Again, do you have latest OpenGL driver for your card?

Probably not.

However, I can run ZDOOM effortlessly - so that is now my DOOM port of
choice.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:16:30 AM

> Btw, am I right about JDooM not needing to use glbsp at all nowdays? I
> think I read such thing.

Greetings :-)

You are 100% right.
In SourceForge you will find bug reports on glBSP, by me, mostly to do with
Heretic & Hexen.
I have also complained about it to SkyJake. I think he has removed it (as
unreliable) and the Doomsday engine is directly doing its own node building
now.

In some senses, it is not glBSP's fault. The authors cleaned up glBSP. But
what was discovered is that original WADS like HEXEN.WAD & HERETIC.WAD and
also classic WADS like REQUIEM, ETERNAL, ICARUS etc are "dirty" WADs where
the maps are not 100% pure. It is slightly embarassing to find that ID
Software/Raven and other classic WAD authors did not make 100% pure maps. In
some cases they take advantage of known bugs the in original Doom engines.

So what can the authors of glBSP do? Alter it, so that node builds inpure
maps?
What is really needed is for someone to go over all the classic WADs and
"clean" them up, so that all Doom map rules are followed (if possible) and
so that all node-builders, like glBSP, will be able to build without issing
any warnings. In other words, don't change the map authors original design
intentions but _do_ conver the map from impure to pure.

Stephen Howe
!