Are new vzw towers digital only?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 5, 2004 3:17:20 PM

VZW added a couple of towers in my rural(hilly) area within the last
2-3 years and is currently adding another--neither of the first two
appear to have analog capability---do any of the newer towers have
analog---in that I still have an old analog account with 3 watt
bag--with these new digital towers my handheld works in more places
than before---but the 3 watt phone will still work in places that a
handheld is useless.---I know the answer, but was just asking.

More about : vzw towers digital

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 10:15:13 PM

You are correct in saying that the new towers that VZW is activating
are digital only.

plane@usa.com (plane) wrote in message news:<68a9acb2.0409051017.3a524f03@posting.google.com>...
> VZW added a couple of towers in my rural(hilly) area within the last
> 2-3 years and is currently adding another--neither of the first two
> appear to have analog capability---do any of the newer towers have
> analog---in that I still have an old analog account with 3 watt
> bag--with these new digital towers my handheld works in more places
> than before---but the 3 watt phone will still work in places that a
> handheld is useless.---I know the answer, but was just asking.
September 7, 2004 11:07:36 PM

"Harry Krause" <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> --
> Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!

Really? Abraham Lincoln (he freed the slaves) was a Republican. Not sure why
I should thank a liberal because I am alive and not in jail....
September 8, 2004 5:54:04 PM

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:07:36 -0400, George wrote:

> "Harry Krause" <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> --
>> Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
>
> Really? Abraham Lincoln (he freed the slaves) was a Republican. Not sure why
> I should thank a liberal because I am alive and not in jail....

Liberals don't believe in putting criminals in jail. After all, it's not
their fault they're a criminal - they were beat as a child, discriminated
against, etc.......
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:54:05 PM

Strongbox wrote:
> Liberals don't believe in putting criminals in jail. After all, it's not
> their fault they're a criminal - they were beat as a child, discriminated
> against, etc.......

What a load of bullshit - I am a liberal and yes, there are plenty of crimes
for which prison is the proper punishment. There are also other things that may
come into play that need to be dealt with...

Don't let facts ruin your rant, though. And I'm sorry, this has nothing to do
with wireless phones.

September 8, 2004 11:35:35 PM

> Strongbox wrote:
>> Liberals don't believe in putting criminals in jail. After all, it's not
>> their fault they're a criminal - they were beat as a child, discriminated
>> against, etc.......
>
> What a load of bullshit - I am a liberal and yes, there are plenty of
> crimes for which prison is the proper punishment. There are also other
> things that may come into play that need to be dealt with...

I'm curious-- for what crimes is jail *not* the appropriate punishment--
save kidnapping, rape or murder of course, for which execution rather than
incarceration is appropriate.

Dan'l.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:35:36 PM

Daniel Dravot wrote:

> I'm curious-- for what crimes is jail *not* the appropriate punishment--
> save kidnapping, rape or murder of course, for which execution rather than
> incarceration is appropriate.

You support throwing people in jail for jaywalking? (For example)

It *is* a violation of criminal law, is it not?

Lots of our jails are already out of room. Yes, I think people should
definitely get thrown in the can for misdemeanors like jaywalking. You're
absolutely right.

September 9, 2004 12:36:06 AM

Oh yeah? Liberals are traditionally weak on punishment. Not BS.

> What a load of bullshit - I am a liberal and yes, there are plenty of
crimes
> for which prison is the proper punishment. There are also other things
that may
> come into play that need to be dealt with...

me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:39:47 AM

That's the obnoxious condescending response when you have no better answer.
Good one.

> Lots of our jails are already out of room. Yes, I think people should
> definitely get thrown in the can for misdemeanors like jaywalking. You're
> absolutely right.

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:39:48 AM

Alan M. wrote:

> That's the obnoxious condescending response when you have no better answer.
> Good one.

So jaywalking should be illegal?

Sorry... make an obnoxious, condescending generalization about a group that I'm
a part of and I tend to reply in kind.

And it's still offtopic for this particular newsgroup.

September 9, 2004 12:39:49 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Alan M. wrote:
>
>> That's the obnoxious condescending response when you have no better
>> answer.
>> Good one.
>

> So jaywalking should be illegal?

Duh, sorry, I meant "punishable by jail time."

September 9, 2004 6:55:32 AM

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:07:36 -0400, "George" <george@nospam.invalid> chose
to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>"Harry Krause" <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
>
>Really? Abraham Lincoln (he freed the slaves) was a Republican. Not sure why
>I should thank a liberal because I am alive and not in jail....

In those days, the Republicans were liberal and the Democrats were
conservative. (Ever heard of "southern democrats"? They were the ones who
wanted to keep slavery in place.)

As for not dead or in jail, it's because the ACLU works so hard to keep you
from being unfairly tried and sentenced to death.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"If you ain't where you are, you're noplace." - Col. Sherman T. Potter
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 7:41:07 AM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:56:49 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> chose
to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Daniel Dravot wrote:
>
>> I'm curious-- for what crimes is jail *not* the appropriate punishment--
>> save kidnapping, rape or murder of course, for which execution rather than
>> incarceration is appropriate.
>
>You support throwing people in jail for jaywalking? (For example)
>
>It *is* a violation of criminal law, is it not?
>
>Lots of our jails are already out of room. Yes, I think people should
>definitely get thrown in the can for misdemeanors like jaywalking. You're
>absolutely right.

I have an acquaintance who says all prison cells should be 3'x3'x6' with no
light, no bed, no toilet, just a hole in the floor, once a day they open
the door and give you just enough food to keep you alive, and once a week
they open the door and hose down you and the cell. The idea is that
criminals won't want to go back to it, so they won't commit more crimes.
The problem I see is that a lot of them will still do the crime, but
they'll be a lot more willing to kill people, including cops, to avoid
going back to it.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Oh, Hawkeye, the tent is spinning around." - B.J. Hunnicutt
"Which way?" - Hawkeye Pierce
"Cuh-lockwise." - B.J.
"Mine's going counterclockwise. Maybe together we're sober." - Hawkeye
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:14:08 AM

> Daniel Dravot wrote:
>
>> I'm curious-- for what crimes is jail *not* the appropriate punishment--
>> save kidnapping, rape or murder of course, for which execution rather
>> than incarceration is appropriate.
>
> You support throwing people in jail for jaywalking? (For example)
>
> It *is* a violation of criminal law, is it not?
>
> Lots of our jails are already out of room. Yes, I think people should
> definitely get thrown in the can for misdemeanors like jaywalking. You're
> absolutely right.

In most jurisdictions, jaywalking is an offense rather than a crime. Take
out your college logic textbook (you did go to college didn't you?) and look
up "reductio ad abusrdum" and them compare the definition to your response
to my post;-)

Dan'l.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:14:09 AM

Daniel Dravot wrote:

> In most jurisdictions, jaywalking is an offense rather than a crime. Take
> out your college logic textbook (you did go to college didn't you?) and look
> up "reductio ad abusrdum" and them compare the definition to your response
> to my post;-)

Yeah, yeah, well... perhaps next time y'all should be a little more specific. I
interpreted you quite literally.

> Dan'l.

September 10, 2004 2:21:00 AM

> Daniel Dravot wrote:
>

>> In most jurisdictions, jaywalking is an offense rather than a crime. Take
>> out your college logic textbook (you did go to college didn't you?) and
>> look up "reductio ad absurdum" and them compare the definition to your
>> response to my post;-)
>

> Yeah, yeah, well... perhaps next time y'all should be a little more
> specific. I interpreted you quite literally.

Consider changing your sig to "Concrete thinker and damned proud of it."
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:21:01 AM

Daniel Dravot wrote:

> Consider changing your sig to "Concrete thinker and damned proud of it."

Heh! I like that! :)

September 12, 2004 12:54:19 AM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:56:49 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:

> You support throwing people in jail for jaywalking? (For example)
>
> It *is* a violation of criminal law, is it not?

Jaywalking is a local statute usually of a summary class offense (like
illegal parking). It's not a felony class violation.

Another liberal bending the facts.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 12:54:20 AM

Strongbox wrote:

>>You support throwing people in jail for jaywalking? (For example)
>>
>>It *is* a violation of criminal law, is it not?
>
> Jaywalking is a local statute usually of a summary class offense (like
> illegal parking). It's not a felony class violation.

You didn't specify that you were talking specifically about a felony. Try
harder to support your side of the argument next time.

September 12, 2004 12:58:53 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:55:32 GMT, David S wrote:

> As for not dead or in jail, it's because the ACLU works so hard to keep you
> from being unfairly tried and sentenced to death.

Usually only if you are a minority or career criminal.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 7:45:58 AM

davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in

> That darned Antennex mount weighs quite a bit and having that extra
> mass swinging on the end of long pole can get a little tricky. Need a
> lighter mount, any ideas?

Sorry....I don't.

Beam antennas are very useful where the reflecting signals come in almost
as strong as the direct signals....That's why TVs use beams...to get rid of
the ghosts.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 8:16:40 PM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:27:39 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:

> Strongbox wrote:
>
>>>You support throwing people in jail for jaywalking? (For example)
>>>
>>>It *is* a violation of criminal law, is it not?
>>
>> Jaywalking is a local statute usually of a summary class offense (like
>> illegal parking). It's not a felony class violation.
>
> You didn't specify that you were talking specifically about a felony. Try
> harder to support your side of the argument next time.

Summary class offenses usually result in fines being imposed.

Misdemeanors and felonies are those classes of crimes that most people
associate with prison sentences.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 12:55:26 AM

Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9561F1F681AF0w4csc@63.223.5.244>...
> davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in
>
> Beam antennas are very useful where the reflecting signals come in almost
> as strong as the direct signals....That's why TVs use beams...to get rid of
> the ghosts.

Yeah, but I thought CDMA could use those "ghosts" to increase signal strength?
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:32:06 AM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:16:40 GMT, Strongbox <strongbox@no.mail> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>>> Jaywalking is a local statute usually of a summary class offense (like
>>> illegal parking). It's not a felony class violation.
>>
>> You didn't specify that you were talking specifically about a felony. Try
>> harder to support your side of the argument next time.
>
>Summary class offenses usually result in fines being imposed.
>
>Misdemeanors and felonies are those classes of crimes that most people
>associate with prison sentences.

The question was about crimes; it did not specify a class of crime.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"You'll get your pants all schmutzy." - C.J. Cregg to Sam Seaborn
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:32:07 AM

David S wrote:

> The question was about crimes; it did not specify a class of crime.

Yeah, but none of that matters when you're liberal-bashing.

What I've found is that there are some idiots all over the political landscape.
Liberals, conservatives, and everything inbetween... doesn't matter

September 13, 2004 6:36:32 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:32:06 GMT, David S wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:16:40 GMT, Strongbox <strongbox@no.mail> chose to
> add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>>> You didn't specify that you were talking specifically about a felony. Try
>>> harder to support your side of the argument next time.
>>
>>Summary class offenses usually result in fines being imposed.
>>
>>Misdemeanors and felonies are those classes of crimes that most people
>>associate with prison sentences.
>
> The question was about crimes; it did not specify a class of crime.

The class of crimes issue came up during the discussion of which crimes
warranted jail time. Please re-read the thread.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 6:39:00 PM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:59:17 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:

> David S wrote:
>
>> The question was about crimes; it did not specify a class of crime.
>
> Yeah, but none of that matters when you're liberal-bashing.

See my response to David's post.

> What I've found is that there are some idiots all over the political landscape.
> Liberals, conservatives, and everything inbetween... doesn't matter

No arguement here. That's why I feel obligated to respond to them.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:48:57 AM

On 12 Sep 2004 20:55:26 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9561F1F681AF0w4csc@63.223.5.244>...
>> davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in
>>
>> Beam antennas are very useful where the reflecting signals come in almost
>> as strong as the direct signals....That's why TVs use beams...to get rid of
>> the ghosts.
>
>Yeah, but I thought CDMA could use those "ghosts" to increase signal strength?

Ssshhhhh!!! Larry's an older guy. Don't confuse him with facts.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Let's do this right." - Leo McGarry
"Not much chance of that." - Josh Lyman
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 8:15:02 AM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:36:32 GMT, Strongbox <strongbox@no.mail> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:32:06 GMT, David S wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:16:40 GMT, Strongbox <strongbox@no.mail> chose to
>> add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

<snipped bit reinserted>

Daniel Dravot wrote:

> I'm curious-- for what crimes is jail *not* the appropriate punishment--
> save kidnapping, rape or murder of course, for which execution rather than
> incarceration is appropriate.

<end reinsertion of snippage>

And Steven Sobol responded:

>>>Summary class offenses usually result in fines being imposed.
>>>
>>>Misdemeanors and felonies are those classes of crimes that most people
>>>associate with prison sentences.
>>
>> The question was about crimes; it did not specify a class of crime.
>
>The class of crimes issue came up during the discussion of which crimes
>warranted jail time. Please re-read the thread.

I did. With the above question restored, the thread is now complete. Daniel
Dravot did not ask for which felonies or misdemeanors jail is not
appropriate, he asked which *crimes* and Steven Sobol responded with an
example of one.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"If you see one, it's probably mine." - Miss Iowa (2000) Theresa Uchytil,
warning other Miss America contestants that she sometimes leaves her
prosthetic hand lying around
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 8:15:03 AM

David S wrote:

>>The class of crimes issue came up during the discussion of which crimes
>>warranted jail time. Please re-read the thread.
>
> I did. With the above question restored, the thread is now complete. Daniel
> Dravot did not ask for which felonies or misdemeanors jail is not
> appropriate, he asked which *crimes* and Steven Sobol responded with an
> example of one.

Although he does post relevant on-topic stuff sometimes, Daniel seems to like
to troll...

September 14, 2004 4:45:40 PM

> Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote in message
>> davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in
>>
>> Beam antennas are very useful where the reflecting signals come in
>> almost as strong as the direct signals....That's why TVs use
>> beams...to get rid of the ghosts.
>
> Yeah, but I thought CDMA could use those "ghosts" to increase signal
> strength?

No, that would be magic....(c;

Timing errors caused by reflections are what keeps the speed to near dialup
connections. The faster the data, the shorter the pulses, the worse the
timing errors. It isn't rocket science to see its gonna cause switching
havoc, which it does.
!