Android 2.2 Beats Apple iOS 4 in Benchmark Tests

Tags:
  • Benchmark
  • Android
  • iOS
  • Apple
Last response: in News comments
July 8, 2010 11:10:41 AM

That means the latest and greatest hardware is nothing without the software to match it.
Duh!...
Score
July 8, 2010 11:19:58 AM

In the red corner!!!
Apple fanbois leaping to the defence of their crappy iPhone!!!
In the blue corner!!!
Android owners laughing their asses off!!!

Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
July 8, 2010 11:20:31 AM

Proven time and time again. Toms benches hardware everyday... Showing 6 cores mean nothing with software that doesn't utilize it.
Score
July 8, 2010 11:29:25 AM

Who cares, they are phones, not PC's or gaming consoles? I fail to see the point of this!!
Score
July 8, 2010 11:55:26 AM

There's a surprise, another story taken from engadget.com
Don't Toms staff have any other sources?
Score
July 8, 2010 11:56:32 AM

It doesn´t need to be the fastest one. It only needs to be fast enough. So the questions is: Are iPhone OS4 and Android fast enough?. If the answer is 'yes', it is useless to compare them.
Score
July 8, 2010 12:03:01 PM

Cool! I'm ready to dump AT&T for Verizon when the Droid X comes out. I wonder how "new hardware" with Android 2.2 would perform in comparison to Apples' iPhone 4

Quote:
There's a surprise, another story taken from engadget.com
Don't Toms staff have any other sources?

If it's old news to you then why click on the article? I happen to not explore every tech site on the web and like to see the news even if someone else's post I'll never see got it out first.

Thanks Toms!
Score
July 8, 2010 12:23:45 PM

I would like to see battery life comparisons, something that is important to a cell phone. I know both platforms have had problems in this area.
Score
July 8, 2010 1:07:16 PM

Ha ha, suck it iPhone
Score
July 8, 2010 1:10:58 PM

Phoenixkatera...If it's old news to you then why click on the article? I happen to not explore every tech site on the web and like to see the news even if someone else's post I'll never see got it out first.Thanks Toms!

Same. I don't have to check 400 tech sites a day because Tom's usually gets it all.
Score
July 8, 2010 1:18:26 PM

officeguyWho cares, they are phones, not PC's or gaming consoles? I fail to see the point of this!!

The point is that Android fanboys finally rejoice as their beloved Android wins a in a Javascript rendering benchmark, which has very little to do with everyday web browsing experience.
What they fail to realize is that iOS still feels snappier, and while they have Flash enabled and improved Javascript rendering, their battery life keeps decreasing....
Kudos to Google for keeping up with the fight though and being a good competitor. This will increase innovation and hopefully lower prices.
Score
July 8, 2010 1:36:52 PM

dargon_supremeIt doesn´t need to be the fastest one. It only needs to be fast enough. So the questions is: Are iPhone OS4 and Android fast enough?. If the answer is 'yes', it is useless to compare them.

Fast enough today... but I'd like to be sure I get a phone with enough headroom to run whatever apps are gonna be rolling out 1.5 years from now, if I'm gonna be locked into a phone for two years.
Score
July 8, 2010 1:46:56 PM

fixxxer07Fast enough today... but I'd like to be sure I get a phone with enough headroom to run whatever apps are gonna be rolling out 1.5 years from now, if I'm gonna be locked into a phone for two years.

That's fine and all, but if the investment was already made into apps for a certain platform, it's going to take more than a faster browser test to get someone to leave that platform and buy all new ones.

I think it's interesting but I use the Chrome browser and am not really surprised by this. It doesn't really reflect which hardware is really more powerful either, so what you're saying doesn't really add up.
Score
July 8, 2010 1:52:25 PM

Euphoria_MKWhat they fail to realize is that iOS still feels snappier

Is that another way of saying you think it is faster, despite numbers proving it
err
isn't?
Score
July 8, 2010 2:02:53 PM

back_by_demandIn the red corner!!!Apple fanbois leaping to the defence of their crappy iPhone!!!In the blue corner!!!Android owners laughing their asses off!!!Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the blue corner laughing with my EVO.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:15:01 PM

That is if HTC and the carriers decided to release 2.2 update for their phone without Sense or other custom UI attached. Fat chance.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:19:16 PM

PhoenixkateraCool! I'm ready to dump AT&T for Verizon when the Droid X comes out.

I recall Anand's "Total cost of ownership" calculation, about 2.5-3k $ over 2 years for a phone. I wonder, why are you guys paying so much for it? Can't you buy a "standalone' phone, whithout signing draconian contract?

PS
Sorry for offtopic.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:24:49 PM

back_by_demandIs that another way of saying you think it is faster, despite numbers proving iterrisn't?

Javascript benchmark has nothing to do with how fast a phone iOS is.
You fail to realize that Android has a custom Java engine and this handles Java scripts more efficiently. The other thing is that not too many apps use Java, and the overall Phone OS is not running on Java, thus this benchmark has very little to do with overall performance and feel of the Phone OS.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:32:54 PM

So f**king owned! I'm definitely getting an Android phones once the new ones (3.0 capable) come out later this year.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:35:19 PM

Hahahhahahhahhaaa

One single benchmark and people are ready to claim victory?

Is this what other smartphone companies are now going to do? Run meaningless tests so they can come up with a numerical figure claiming their phones superiority to the iPhone?

Why don't we talk about sales numbers? I know you Appple haters (and Apple smartphone competititors) must HATE the fact Apple is selling iPhones in quantities you could only dream of.

The smartphone market is only so big, and every iPhone sold is another lost potential sale for everyone else. How soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?
Score
July 8, 2010 2:40:03 PM

Euphoria_MKJavascript benchmark has nothing to do with how fast a phone iOS is.You fail to realize that Android has a custom Java engine and this handles Java scripts more efficiently. The other thing is that not too many apps use Java, and the overall Phone OS is not running on Java, thus this benchmark has very little to do with overall performance and feel of the Phone OS.

Fair play, they did say that in the post above and coutered it with the following
Quote:
The benchmark score disparity doesn't fully reflect real world use, however. Engadget put the two mobile browsers against each other and, while the Android 2.2 Nexus One was still faster in almost all cases, the iPhone 4 wasn't far behind at all. Then again, the Nexus One was running Flash. With Flash disabled on the Android browser, the Nexus One was even faster.

So even with the Arkensaw Chuggabug that is Flash, which supposedless is slower than an oiltanker running through hot tar, it still beat the iPhone for speed. When it worked on a level playing field and turned Flash off, guess what?
Faster.
In real world use.
Android is faster than iPhone.
Period.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:42:03 PM

ericburnbyHow soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?

Well that wouldnt be so great... The day when Apple dominates the whole mobile market is the day when innovation will cease to exist... Healthy competition is good for consumers, price-wise and innovation-wise.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:44:58 PM

back_by_demandWhen it worked on a level playing field and turned Flash off, guess what?Faster.In real world use.Android is faster than iPhone.Period.

It seems that you are confusing Internet Browser Benchmarks with Mobile Phone OS performance. Last thing I heard, neither iOS nor Android is running it's OS on top of an Internet Browser...
Score
July 8, 2010 2:46:34 PM

Hey Tom's, you forgot the most important benchmark test of all "SPEED TO AN OFFICIAL RELEASE", which as you may have noticed has been obliterated by iOS4 when compared to Android 2.2. "The Android phones will be getting 2.2 soon"??? According to the rumor mill (our only source of official Android news) many think that the official 2.2 won't hit the major phones until the end of 2010...
Score
July 8, 2010 2:47:36 PM

ericburnbyHow soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?

Err, never?
Even though sales are up the percentage of the smartphone market is actually down. Androids market share is lower but its sales on the previous year was up something stupid like over 600% higher so it's relative market share actually is up.
So in real tersm, the market is increasing in size, Apple is shrinking, Android is expanding, a lot of analysts reckon 2012 they will pass each other.
Score
July 8, 2010 2:56:08 PM

Euphoria_MKIt seems that you are confusing Internet Browser Benchmarks with Mobile Phone OS performance. Last thing I heard, neither iOS nor Android is running it's OS on top of an Internet Browser...

Huh? WTF are you rambling on about? You want real world usage and if someone uses their phone to load up webpages it doesn't get any more real world than that.
Load up a webpage, faster on this phone than that phone = faster phone.
Why is that so difficult?
Score
July 8, 2010 3:04:52 PM

Yes
back_by_demandHuh? WTF are you rambling on about? You want real world usage and if someone uses their phone to load up webpages it doesn't get any more real world than that.Load up a webpage, faster on this phone than that phone = faster phone.Why is that so difficult?

Yes I can see the video showing Android loading faster by a half a second.. .Great job on kicking ass! Now if that's all you use your phone for than good for you.,, Some people also use it for Talking, Scheduling, Chatting, playing games, listening music, etc.
But hey that half a second of faster loading on the Web Browser is kickass!
Score
July 8, 2010 3:09:40 PM

Half a second is enough to make a graphics card or a CPU cost 5 times more, and it doesn't matter if the margin is half a second, half a minute or half an hour.
It was a straight fight and it won.
The only lesson to be learned here is Apple needs to try harder.

If they gave people flash, allowed expandable memory and didn't tell people they were "holding it wrong" they might actually make sales outside the fanboi zone.
Score
July 8, 2010 3:15:25 PM

back_by_demandHalf a second is enough to make a graphics card or a CPU cost 5 times more, and it doesn't matter if the margin is half a second, half a minute or half an hour.It was a straight fight and it won.The only lesson to be learned here is Apple needs to try harder.If they gave people flash, allowed expandable memory and didn't tell people they were "holding it wrong" they might actually make sales outside the fanboi zone.

Yes it won, now lets see... Half a second faster web browser loading or three extra hours in battery life? hmmmm..... I think I might go for that extra half a second, in ten years it might save me a whole hour.... good investment... In the mean time make sure you dont leave your home without a charger in your pocket
Score
July 8, 2010 3:18:37 PM

And now we resort to childish thumbing down
If it was Apple in the same situation there would be fanbois screaming it from the rooftops that it was the greatest phone in the universe.
Take it like a man.
Score
July 8, 2010 4:10:56 PM

@Euphoria_MK

The Android phones give you lots of choice between models and a very high level of customization. They're also faster as a bonus with flash enabled and according to all review sites froyo feels very snappy without any particular weaknesses. The downside is the battery time but you can get the android for a lower cost and can replace the battery for a higher capacity one or take an extra battery with you. Anyway I won't take any of these phones for their battery because when I'm called for reserves and the phone battery dies in a day or so and causing me to lose connection to all my loved ones that's a big **fail** in my book. Well, at least with android phone I can take some extra batteries with me
Score
July 8, 2010 4:14:25 PM

ericburnbyHahahhahahhahhaaa

One single benchmark and people are ready to claim victory?

Victory in the sense that android runs better then the iPhone in this certain respect? Sure. If i play you in tennis and win, do i not get to claim victory because we haven't played on clay and grass courts... or courts in different locales? That's fairly absurd. I won. Does it mean i'm a better tennis player than you? Perhaps not. I don't think the article says anywhere that because of this "victory", android is now the dominant phone on the market.

ericburnbyWhy don't we talk about sales numbers?

What about them? We know the iPhone sells a lot of units. Cumulatively, across the growing number of android phones, they sell a lot of units too. I'm not going to begin to assume that X>Y in this battle. Let's face it, the iPhone is a great phone in many respects, but they're limited to AT&T customers. Android phones don't have that limitation. Android's potential market is much larger until Apple releases through other vendors. With software improvements like the one detailed in the article and the obvious issues that the iPhone has had with its launch, Android is a VERY attractive alternative and is poised to grow.

All that being said... to each their own...
Score
July 8, 2010 5:05:06 PM

Quote:
Why don't we talk about sales numbers? I know you Appple haters (and Apple smartphone competititors) must HATE the fact Apple is selling iPhones in quantities you could only dream of.

Lets talk sales numbers: With the exception of the month of the new Iphone launch, guess which platform gets about 60% of total smartphone sales? Yep, Android, which is continuing to eat into Apples market share.

With the exception of new Iphone launches, Apples sales are actually quite disappointing...
Score
July 8, 2010 5:23:17 PM

ericburnbyHahahhahahhahhaaaOne single benchmark and people are ready to claim victory?Is this what other smartphone companies are now going to do? Run meaningless tests so they can come up with a numerical figure claiming their phones superiority to the iPhone?Why don't we talk about sales numbers? I know you Appple haters (and Apple smartphone competititors) must HATE the fact Apple is selling iPhones in quantities you could only dream of.The smartphone market is only so big, and every iPhone sold is another lost potential sale for everyone else. How soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?

sounds like the same day they raise there prices on par with their pc's a.k.a. astronomical prices.
Score
July 8, 2010 5:25:54 PM

gamerk316Lets talk sales numbers: With the exception of the month of the new Iphone launch, guess which platform gets about 60% of total smartphone sales? Yep, Android, which is continuing to eat into Apples market share.With the exception of new Iphone launches, Apples sales are actually quite disappointing...

yes lets talk that:

The suggestion: the reign of iPhone is over because Google’s Android platform is taking over the market in terms of sales and installed base.

The reality: Android sales are certainly not eating up iPhone sales, which are higher than ever–especially in the first quarter, when Apple’s hardware sales have historically plateaued. Rather than taking on the iPhone, Android is really just replacing the plummeting sales of Windows Mobile and the old Palm OS (and even webOS) and the embedded software that formerly ran a lot of HTC and Motorola phones. Consumers are upgrading away from pseudo-smartphones from LG and Samsung, and buying more advanced smartphones, which looks good for Android.

Source: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/05/10/reality-check-...

Apple's flat sales are mostly due to their exclusive contract with AT&T.
Guess whats going to happen January 2011...
Score
July 8, 2010 5:34:59 PM

Forgetting about another OS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS quote "Devices based on Symbian OS account for 46.9% of smartphone sales, making it the world's most popular mobile operating system"
Score
July 8, 2010 5:52:11 PM

guzz46Forgetting about another OS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS quote "Devices based on Symbian OS account for 46.9% of smartphone sales, making it the world's most popular mobile operating system"

It's just too bad all the symbian phones are sold overseas (meaning everywhere but the USA) and hence Americanized news could care less about them... It's OK, all these android and apple trolls don't seem to want to bother acknowledging the RIM sales share and install base still eclipse both the iPhone and all the Droid phones combined.
Score
July 8, 2010 6:12:02 PM

Euphoria_MKYes it won, now lets see... Half a second faster web browser loading or three extra hours in battery life? hmmmm..... I think I might go for that extra half a second, in ten years it might save me a whole hour.... good investment... In the mean time make sure you dont leave your home without a charger in your pocket

Or just have an extra battery handy in case you are unable to charge it, another win for droid. Lets be honest battery life is a weak argument. I can make my droid last 2-3 days or I can drain it in 1 day, same goes for my ipod touch (when i used to use it)
Score
July 8, 2010 6:20:36 PM

ericburnbyHahahhahahhahhaaaOne single benchmark and people are ready to claim victory?Is this what other smartphone companies are now going to do? Run meaningless tests so they can come up with a numerical figure claiming their phones superiority to the iPhone?Why don't we talk about sales numbers? I know you Appple haters (and Apple smartphone competititors) must HATE the fact Apple is selling iPhones in quantities you could only dream of.The smartphone market is only so big, and every iPhone sold is another lost potential sale for everyone else. How soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?

wait a second, please explain to me why the hell I care about apple and droid sales figures? How does that effect any of us? Unless of course you work for one of these companies. I guess some people just find whichever phone sells the most and chooses to purchase it. I chose the phone that seemed the best fit for me, one that has a full qwerty keyboard, expandable memory, open dev enviroment, multitasking, replacement batteries, and doesn't tie me down to itunes. Oh well enjoy all those profits from your super sales figures, oh wait, lmao!
Score
July 8, 2010 6:30:48 PM

Anyone with SymbiAN s60 here??? :p 
Score
July 8, 2010 6:38:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone with SymbiAN s60 here

One here
Score
July 8, 2010 6:40:29 PM

Having had an iPhone and now having an Evo I think its safe to say that for the "power" user Android phones appear to take the crown. Then again, how much does a typical Mom need her phone to do? For that crowd I think the iPhone wins. For me...thank gosh for Android (and HTC Sense).

...looking forward to Froyo but really...the Evo is quite fast enough.
Score
July 8, 2010 7:16:23 PM

So hopefully with my new upgrade to 2.2 my HTC Hero (running 2.1) will actually allow me to answer phone calls when I get them - rather than fscking around doing god knows what in the background and not responding to my down sliding finger..
Score
July 8, 2010 7:20:57 PM

Great...but how easy is it to make phone calls with them?
Score
July 8, 2010 8:04:02 PM

dargon_supremeIt doesn´t need to be the fastest one. It only needs to be fast enough. So the questions is: Are iPhone OS4 and Android fast enough?. If the answer is 'yes', it is useless to compare them.

Everything out there is fast enough if it gets the job done, the only difference is how much faster is one compared to the other, and that is what sites like this are for, to figure out which one is faster, to compare them and to see which is best value.
Score
July 8, 2010 8:15:50 PM

officeguyWho cares, they are phones, not PC's or gaming consoles? I fail to see the point of this!!

Score
July 8, 2010 9:13:00 PM

back_by_demandLoad up a webpage, faster on this phone than that phone = faster phone.Why is that so difficult?

It is more like comparing Firefox with Chrome or Safari in order to determine which system has a faster CPU. It won't necessarily work too well. But it does tell you which system+browser combination is faster, which is usually good enough.

We don't have a good benchmarking software we can load up on each phone to see which one has the faster hardware or faster OS since they are not compatible.

If you are loading a lot of web pages from your phone then this is a very useful benchmark. If you are more focused on using an app or game then it's ALMOST meaningless.
Score
July 8, 2010 10:03:11 PM

This is great, and will be even better with more players. But as usual benchmarks are as good as every user finds a real use or benefit for it. With enough time all this technology will get standardized on lower cost phones and there is when I particularly start caring about. But is great too so manny people is willing to pay to stay on top as they are paying for most of the cost of development.
Score
July 8, 2010 10:15:12 PM

Euphoria_MKJavascript benchmark has nothing to do with how fast a phone iOS is.You fail to realize that Android has a custom Java engine and this handles Java scripts more efficiently. The other thing is that not too many apps use Java, and the overall Phone OS is not running on Java, thus this benchmark has very little to do with overall performance and feel of the Phone OS.

Oh my goodness...

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Javascript and Java are completely separate entities with little in common. The Dalvik JVM on Android does not have some magical power to render Javascript faster than native code. It most likely means Android implements more efficient algorithms.

The platform's preferred development language, along with it's complete API, is all in Java, meaning the vast majority of apps are either completely in Java or contain Java.

The phone OS does run on Java. The low level stuff is of course in C/C++, but the GUI and a lot of the stock apps are in Java.

Understanding of the platform, you have none.

Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!