9600gt idling at 87c

satan901

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
my 9600gt idles at 87c and the screen goes black while playing heavy graphic based games like modern warfare 2...a little help would be appreciated

satan901

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
iv opened up the case....as well as set up a pedestal fan nearby to aid cooling...with the fan on, the temp. drops to around 75c...using riva tuner tweaked up the fan settings to a 100%....still not helping...mw2 might not be a heavy graphic based game and yet my pc screen goes black within the first 15 to 20 mins...i have a dual core processor and the cpu temp idles at around 42....

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

What type of heatsink does your card have ?? I remember a 6800 I used to have, had a plastic cover on top of the heat sink. It was when i removed this that I was able to remove the stuff that was gathering inside and clogging things up. Can you be sure there is air going in and air coming out properly from the heat sink ?? Careful with warranties though...

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Make sure the card is dust free and the heatsink has good contact with the gpu, if the card is a single slot reference design i sugest a replacement like a zalman vf-900 or similar cooler as single slot cooler is hopeless. if that fails you got a faulty card.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

umm no you don't want your card to be 100c under load. It won't catch fire IMMEDIATELY, but its still not what you want.

VENTILATION...you need it.

I had a 8800 running around 90 something all the time. Thought i had pretty decent venting...bought a new CM sniper case and instant problem solve. Runs at the speedfan recommended temp or lower.

*BONUS* winter is coming.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

no that's also a ridiculous thing to say. For many systems today MW2 is no walk in the park for your graphics card. Sure its an oversimplified and crap looking FPS, but its still an FPS. It will get ur temps rising quickly unless u just play for 10 mins...oorr have good ventilation.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

I said as long as it doesn't, Nvidia says their cards can manage temps around 122c or something, but to have those temps for more then half an hour will obviously cause problems within time.
Also, MW2 isn't that demanding, even for a 9600gt that's a higher-mid end card should get decent framerate and shouldn't be overheating. Not that his card is 'overheating' but the temps do worry me. I went and changed C* to F* and it scared the hell outta me at first. Normally my card doesn't get past 55C*

I'm not so sure about the 9600GT. Now, the new Fermi cards (specifically GTX 470/480) have a thermal limit of like 104C. But to extend that to all their cards isn't a great idea.

Having temps around 80C AT LOAD wouldn't be super exciting. However, to idle anywhere close to that (especially 87C) is very bad.

Make sure the fan on the card is actually working. Make sure it's CLEAN (and the heatsink under the shroud). Also, you may have to remove the heatsink and reapply thermal compound. If all else is working, yet temps are so high, it may need new thermal compound.

G

Modern Warfare 2 is pretty easy for a 9600GT to run, even on max settings. Anyways, I noticed a lot of threads like this talking about 9600GT running at over 80C, my XFX 9600GT crashes as soon as it hits 70C o_O but that was only during summer, now the temps are 44C/60C (idle/max) What kind of case do you have, hows cable management and airflow?

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Just like telling someone to buy a new case and transfer everything into it?
Thought Mouse locks threads that don't get replied by the op for more than a week.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Being defensve would be double posting to argue with incorrect information against what someone said.

G

Hello all,

I got a galaxy 9600GT low power low profile and put it in my acer SFF with only 220w psu.
I had the same over heating problems.
The fan would register as running at 100% all the time, except the fan would kick on, kick off, run inconsistently.
I was worried that the card was incompatible with the pc and that the faulty performance was caused by my tiny psu in some indirect way.
I RMA-ed it.
They sent me a new one.

I reinstalled it along with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Low-Profile-PCI...ltDomain_0&hash=item19b58157f1#ht_1222wt_1139
It's a low profile internal case fan that fits in a pci slot (X1 in my case, which is directly under the card).
I also drilled a bunch of some small holes in the top of my case for extra venting.
There used to be alot of heat being trapped at the top of the case (right where the card lives...).
So now the PCI internal case fan sits directly under the card blows upwards across it and out the top, while my CPU fan suck air in the side on to the CPU heatsink, and the GPU fan of course blows air across the GPU heatsink.

The new card runs beautifully now without a problem.
Idles at 45C, with a load it's never over 75C and the fan stays under 50%.
I think it is mostly because the old fan was busted, but the extra case fan doesn't hurt.
I don't have any more slots left in this little computer, but that is fine!
I sort of think I am trying to over do it with this machine anyway.
But its working fine, so I guess it's OK!