Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
I just built a new computer:
epox 9npa+ motherboard
amd 3000 venice
evga 6600gt video card
wester digital hard drive
toshiba dvd burner

my father had a copy Windows XP Professional Version 2002 that he never opened, so I used that. The install went smooth. But the computer wont connect to the internet. It tried to create a connection when I opened Internet Explorer, seemed to set up correctly, but no connection. I have a cable modem. plugged the cable into my laptop and it worked fine, wont work on the epox.

Looked in device manager. I dont see anything even remotely resembling the gigabit lan thing. What would that be listed as? Only saw a 139four network adapter.

In control panel I see one network connection, a "139four Connection" (the four key on my keyboard does not work). Properties on it show that it is Enabled and connected for 35 minutes now (to what, I dont know). But the sent and recieved packets are 0. The ipaddress, subnet mask, etc are all<unavailable>

i dont know if windows sees my hardware correctly since it is a new motherboard, but XP from 2002. Worst thing to be broken is your internet connection. I cant upgrade any windows service packs.

Please help! Thanks in advance...

Could the motherboard be the problem?

Thanks,
Judy

Anytime you install a new motherboard, you need to install the drivers on the motherboard cd. Windows xp is about 4 years old, so it doesn't have all the drivers for all the boards out there. The epox driver cd should have the gigabyte lan driver, or you can download it off Epox's website.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you need to make sure the network controller driver is installed, check Device Manager. Once that's taken care of, you can make a new connection like you did...choosing manual for a connection that you already have and is always on. Yes, those are the options as I remember them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>