Your question

ACPI

Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2005 5:44:45 PM

Here is my setup
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
WinXP Pro SP2
512MB Corsair XMS High Per. Dual Chan. RAM

When I put in my new 2GB OCZ Platinum. Series. High. Per. Ram WinXP doesn't load and gives me an ACPI BIOS compatibility issue. Originally my computer was recognized as "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" and fully ACPI compatible.

First I flashed my BIOS with latest version. No go. When I put in my old ram everything worked fine. So the way I got my new ram working was by going into the BIOS and making the PnP OS from [YES] to [NO]. Everything works now, but I am wondering what is sacrificed, if anything, by disabling this function. Also, I am wondering if I should reinstall WinXP, choose a new ACPI option by hitting F-5 at storage device setup?

The options are:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

Would any of these allow me to have the PnP OS enabled and my memory working. I read somewhere I should choose "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC " but now with everything working, I don't want to reinstall unless I am totally sure.

Let me know!!!:) 

More about : acpi

August 30, 2005 6:28:56 PM

That's odd...

But to answer your first question and take away the need for the others: Switching the PnP OS setting in BIOS does nothing bad, and shouldn't make any difference (which is why that's such an odd error). What it does is make the BIOS configure the interrupts and stuff for the system instead of Windows. That's the way it used to be done anyways back in 'the olden days' :evil:  .

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
!