Doom3 and GeForce 6600 - oh yeah!

I finally took the plunge and upgraded my lowly GeForce 5200FX to the
GeForce 6600 GT (APG version). (My CPU is a P4/3GHz.)

I *was* playing D3 at medium quality, 640x480, no AA. Even at those low
settings, I thought D3 looked pretty damn good and getting around 30fps.
Now I have everything cranked up - ultra quality, 1024x768 (I have an LCD
panel and that's as high as it goes), all eye candy turned on, 4xAA. It
is a whole different experience. Yes, gameplay issues still remain but I
had no idea I could be drawn in so much by the graphics.

I've noticed that fps fluctuates wildly in D3. It seemed capped out at 60
and is often pegged at 60. Some monster attacks, and certain rooms, can
knock fps down to the 30's - still smooth and playable.

I've also been enjoying Farcry with graphics turned way up. Was playing
medium textures, 800x600, and generally low graphics options. Testing the
6600 - at first I got ballsy and went straight for the extreme-high
settings. The game ran very smooth until the shooting started at which
point it got a tiny amount of choppiness. I knocked the settings down to
"high" and played all the way through without the slightest hiccup. Once
again, I thought the game looked good with my old card, yet the
improvement is quite noticeable.

I didn't get much improvement with Half-Life 2. It was running quite well
with my old card so I was nearly maxed out in the first place. I haven't
actually played through yet - just did a quick test.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, as expected, show no distinct improvement. Once
your park gets about medium-sized, the game bogs down but it seems more
CPU-bound than GPU.

After all is said and done, I have to hand it to my old 5200. I got to
the point where I knew what game settings to turn up and turn down. In
general I would have to sacrifice some resolution, but shadows and water
reflections were always good. For a low-end card, it certainly didn't
deny me the pleasure to be found in these games. Oh...and it's a whole
lot quieter than the 6600.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I finally took the plunge and upgraded my lowly GeForce 5200FX to the
> GeForce 6600 GT (APG version). (My CPU is a P4/3GHz.)
>
> <bla bla bla>
>
> After all is said and done, I have to hand it to my old 5200. I got to
> the point where I knew what game settings to turn up and turn down. In
> general I would have to sacrifice some resolution, but shadows and water
> reflections were always good. For a low-end card, it certainly didn't
> deny me the pleasure to be found in these games. Oh...and it's a whole
> lot quieter than the 6600.

I don't understand; are you saying that you PREFER your old 5200FX instead
of the newer 6600GT? That's crazy!

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I finally took the plunge and upgraded my lowly GeForce 5200FX to the
>> GeForce 6600 GT (APG version). (My CPU is a P4/3GHz.)
>>
>> <bla bla bla>
>>
>> After all is said and done, I have to hand it to my old 5200. I got to
>> the point where I knew what game settings to turn up and turn down. In
>> general I would have to sacrifice some resolution, but shadows and water
>> reflections were always good. For a low-end card, it certainly didn't
>> deny me the pleasure to be found in these games. Oh...and it's a whole
>> lot quieter than the 6600.
>
>I don't understand; are you saying that you PREFER your old 5200FX instead
>of the newer 6600GT? That's crazy!

I think it's clear from my post how excited I am about my new 6600. I was
just commenting how good I think my old 5200 held up as a *low-end* card.
--

> "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I finally took the plunge and upgraded my lowly GeForce 5200FX to the
> >> GeForce 6600 GT (APG version). (My CPU is a P4/3GHz.)
> >>
> >> <bla bla bla>
> >>
> >> After all is said and done, I have to hand it to my old 5200. I got to
> >> the point where I knew what game settings to turn up and turn down. In
> >> general I would have to sacrifice some resolution, but shadows and
water
> >> reflections were always good. For a low-end card, it certainly didn't
> >> deny me the pleasure to be found in these games. Oh...and it's a whole
> >> lot quieter than the 6600.
> >
> >I don't understand; are you saying that you PREFER your old 5200FX
instead
> >of the newer 6600GT? That's crazy!
>
> I think it's clear from my post how excited I am about my new 6600. I was
> just commenting how good I think my old 5200 held up as a *low-end* card.

Perhaps. My GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is older than the 5200 and yet still kick's
its arse in the benchmarks. Wish they were still making them though.

My next card will probably be a 6600GT as well.

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> "Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > >"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message

In
> water
> > >
> > >I don't understand; are you saying that you PREFER your old 5200FX
> instead
> > >of the newer 6600GT? That's crazy!
> >
> > I think it's clear from my post how excited I am about my new 6600. I
was
> > just commenting how good I think my old 5200 held up as a *low-end*
card.

> Perhaps. My GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is older than the 5200 and yet still kick's
> its arse in the benchmarks. Wish they were still making them though.
>
> My next card will probably be a 6600GT as well.

Just fired up this p4 3.4 with a Gig of ram and a 6600gt. It runs the
timedemo @81 fps.. Good times.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:12:04 +0000, GFree wrote:

>> I think it's clear from my post how excited I am about my new 6600. I was
>> just commenting how good I think my old 5200 held up as a *low-end* card.

> Perhaps. My GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is older than the 5200 and yet still kick's
> its arse in the benchmarks. Wish they were still making them though.

Agreed! My 4200 is the best card I've ever owned, and wish I had another
also. I think they can be found on eBay...

> My next card will probably be a 6600GT as well.

Same here, unless I go all the way with the 6800... :)

Linux Registered User #327951

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> > My next card will probably be a 6600GT as well.
>
> Same here, unless I go all the way with the 6800... :)

Or you can go insane, get an nForce 4 motherboard and slap two 6600 in SLI.