V710 Camera Performance

Last response: in Network Providers
September 6, 2004 4:08:51 PM

I got a V710 about 2 weeks ago and have been less than impressed with the
camera performance. Picture are very "soft" (not real good focus) and the
contrast blends objects together. Is this just an issue with my phone or
are others seeing the same thing?

The voice recognition, speakerphone and RF performance rock on this phone
though!
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:53:09 PM

Did you go out to buy a camera or a phone? If you went to buy a phone, you
got a great one. If you went to buy a camera, you should have bought an
Olympus, Minolta, Canon etc.

"Slick Willy" <slick_willy_@EATSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I got a V710 about 2 weeks ago and have been less than impressed with the
> camera performance. Picture are very "soft" (not real good focus) and the
> contrast blends objects together. Is this just an issue with my phone or
> are others seeing the same thing?
>
> The voice recognition, speakerphone and RF performance rock on this phone
> though!

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:53:10 PM

If you went to buy a phone, you got a great one. If you went to buy a
camera, you should have bought an Olympus, Minolta, Canon
etc."</i><p>what a dopey reply. the poster is asking about a camera
phone.<p></html>
September 7, 2004 1:29:02 AM

Main purpose is the phone. The camera is nice, but don't expect great
pics.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:08:51 GMT, "Slick Willy"
<slick_willy_@EATSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I got a V710 about 2 weeks ago and have been less than impressed with the
>camera performance. Picture are very "soft" (not real good focus) and the
>contrast blends objects together. Is this just an issue with my phone or
>are others seeing the same thing?
>
>The voice recognition, speakerphone and RF performance rock on this phone
>though!

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 6:40:29 AM

I'll side with Kay Anne Darcy here since I asked the original question. I
already stated that I am very pleased with the phone performance. I have a
decent Canon digital camera. My question was regarding if anyone was seeing
sub-par performance. I have a $30 VGA webcam that seems to capture better
images than the 1.2M V710. I am using the V710 in the hi-res mode and have
played with both contrast and brightness. So - my original question on
other user's experience stands...
"Michael" <keltwolf@optonline.net> wrote in message
My reply stands. If he wanted good camera performance, he should have
bought a real >camera. All camera phones give less than stellar output.
Any idiot would know that.

Maybe...but he DID ask if others are having this problem too. My wife has an
LG cam-phone, and the pictures are quite good. We had no first hand
knowledge of phone pictures until hers. If I had his phone, and compared to
the 710, I would wonder if his specific phone had a problem, or maybe that
model just isn't as good as a camera. Asking to see if it's a problem with
his phone, or the whole line, is a very sensible question, and not out of
line.

--

Mike
Anonymous

"Any idiot would know that."

Watch how you say things...you just incriminated yourself!

"Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
My reply stands. If he wanted good camera performance, he should have
bought a real camera. All camera phones give less than stellar output. Any
idiot would know that.

"Kay Anne Darcy" <kayeye@webtv.net> wrote in message
teebox chirped: "Did you go out to buy a camera or a phone? If you went to
buy a phone, you got a great one. If you went to buy a camera, you should
have bought an Olympus, Minolta, Canon etc."

what a dopey reply. the poster is asking about a camera phone.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 6:27:48 AM

07-Sep-2004, From Ellery (at) StarBus (dot) com

Exact same observations as you, Slick. Great voice recognition ability(*)
and terrible photo quality (excessive contrast, softness/resolution, slow
shutter speed, lack of low light sensitivity).

* I just notice that it even allows training for those few entries with
unusual spelling or with close Hamming distance to other entries. This is
the best of both worlds! It doesn't hog the memory for speech training, yet
it allows subtle "hints" for the difficult ones!

_____________

"Slick Willy" <slick_willy_@EATSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I got a V710 about 2 weeks ago and have been less than impressed with the
> camera performance. Picture are very "soft" (not real good focus) and the
> contrast blends objects together. Is this just an issue with my phone or
> are others seeing the same thing?
>
> The voice recognition, speakerphone and RF performance rock on this phone
> though!

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 6:48:31 PM

The 'cameras' on all of these cell phones are mostly a marketing gimmick for
the young users. They use very cheap CMOS sensors and cheap lenses, etc. So
what you are seeing with the V710 is rather normal for cellphone cameras.

If you really want to take good pics then get a 'regular' digital camera
from one of the big names..

"Slick Willy" <slick_willy_@EATSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I got a V710 about 2 weeks ago and have been less than impressed with the
> camera performance. Picture are very "soft" (not real good focus) and the
> contrast blends objects together. Is this just an issue with my phone or
> are others seeing the same thing?
>
> The voice recognition, speakerphone and RF performance rock on this phone
> though!

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:16:00 AM

Bob,

I have a Canon A70 digital camera that takes awesome pictures, but I'm
really upset that I cannot make a phone call with it!
(Joking, of course)

Gregg Hill

"Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The 'cameras' on all of these cell phones are mostly a marketing gimmick
> for
> the young users. They use very cheap CMOS sensors and cheap lenses, etc.
> So
> what you are seeing with the V710 is rather normal for cellphone cameras.
>
> If you really want to take good pics then get a 'regular' digital camera
> from one of the big names..
>

> "Slick Willy" <slick_willy_@EATSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I got a V710 about 2 weeks ago and have been less than impressed with the
>> camera performance. Picture are very "soft" (not real good focus) and
>> the
>> contrast blends objects together. Is this just an issue with my phone or
>> are others seeing the same thing?
>>
>> The voice recognition, speakerphone and RF performance rock on this phone
>> though!

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:27:09 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:00 GMT, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>I have a Canon A70 digital camera that takes awesome pictures, but I'm
>really upset that I cannot make a phone call with it!
>(Joking, of course)

Hey, there's an idea, actually. Instead o building the camera and other
whatnot into the phone, build a phone into a camera. It would still serve
the purpose of reducing the number of things you have to carry.

Thinking about it though, the market for such a thing would be limited to
people who carry a camera constantly -- professional photographers and
photojournalists, and very serious amateurs who have nothing better to do.

Oh well. I guess if it was a good idea, someone would have done it already.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Whatever you think about anything is wrong." - Dave Barry
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:27:10 AM

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:00 GMT, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> chose
> add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
>
> >I have a Canon A70 digital camera that takes awesome pictures, but I'm
> >really upset that I cannot make a phone call with it!
> >(Joking, of course)
>
> Hey, there's an idea, actually. Instead o building the camera and other
> whatnot into the phone, build a phone into a camera. It would still serve
> the purpose of reducing the number of things you have to carry.
>
> Thinking about it though, the market for such a thing would be limited to
> people who carry a camera constantly -- professional photographers and
> photojournalists, and very serious amateurs who have nothing better to do.
>
> Oh well. I guess if it was a good idea, someone would have done it
already.

> --

Actually, I have a PDA/phone with an SDIO slot, and they make camera/SDIO
cards (probably CF too), that you can pop in the PDA/phone and take
pictures.

With the variety of Bluetooth/WiFi/Network/USB cards available also, you can
even transfer the photos without paying for the phone/pix thing....

(There are different ones, but this is for my PDA. Check out this one at
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3881947 )
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:27:10 AM

David S wrote:
> Oh well. I guess if it was a good idea, someone would have done it
> already.

Don't forget "commercial realities". Verizon carries 16 non-PDA phones
from about 5 manufacturers. There are no supply contracts (ie the
carriers order more phones whenever they want). There isn't much
money in it either. And for CDMA phones, the market is very limited
and most phones have to be software customised on a per carrier
basis.

So no matter how good an idea it is, the phones have to appeal to
a really large number of people to be commercially viable.

Roger
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:47:11 AM

What "all camera phones" are you talking about? Most other camera
phones are around 300kilopixels in resolution, the 710 camera is 1.2
megapixels. If the 710 camera is roughly 4 times the resolution,
shouldn't the photos it takes be four times better than the lower
resolution cam phone pics? If they are not better, why not? I think
that is the question the original poster is asking.

I wonder why Motorola would build a higher resolution camera phone then
leave it with the same photo quality as lower resolution cameras.

!