Computer Disintegrates Before My Eyes (Help!)

CCC

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Working with the accountants computer here at work. Shes been having some weird glitches now and then but nothing too serious.

I was setting up a blank hard drive for her to back up her account files into since shes had a few corrupted files from improper shut downs due to the above mentioned glitches. Theyre still using Windows 98 btw.

So I format the new hard drive and restart the computer. The fans run and everything lights up, but nothing is working. The monitor doesnt come on, the CD-drive, though lit, wont open, it doesnt go into the bios, nothing.

So I unplug all the drives and try again, still nothing.

Is this a sign of a CPU that just bit the dust or maybe a short in the motherboard? I have pretty limited experience in working with computers, but the only time I've seen the bios fail to light up is with a bad CPU or motherboard.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I changed the hard drive last night and ran it for several hours with it connected, then it ran for about 30 minutes this morning while I was formating the disk. Dont know what could have caused it to suddenly stop working.

Would appreciate your help.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Usually when i get this kind of system instability, especially after working inside a case, i reconnect every cable in the case, blow out the inside of the case, reset the bios, and/or disconnect any new hardware. If this doesn't do anything double check the ends on the two hds (and ata/sata/scsi cable/s attached to them), make sure they haven't become damaged. It won't hurt to update the bios as well, unless it's storming outside heh.

edit: Win 98 is glitchy by definition...It doesn't know how to handle memory.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+ (down)][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][X 2.8x2][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.4x5][P4 1.3]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apesoccer on 09/02/05 04:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

twofethers51

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I am having the same problems but with Windows XP. I am not a expert but i decided to go and build a new system for around 400$$$. Reason being that even if you solve the current issues they tend to keep coming back. For example 2 days of working on the system to resolve the same type of problems as yours. And yes i thought they were fixed and then BOOM lost everything. 1/2 day of research and 400 $$$later new Motherboard MSI RS480m2:processor: AMD Athlon 64 (venice) Corsair Dimmm`s 1GB: Power Supply 450 and i am back in bussiness for 3-4 yrs.And peace of mind if you know what i mean. This is just my way of thinking GOOD LUCK