Reinstalling Office 2007 (Home and Student) on Windows 7

doitclean

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
This has been a nightmare and I have tried so many tips form other online forums without success. I
I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Professional and had no trouble initially when I installed Office 2007. The one issue I did have was that a configuration menu would come up each time I opened a Windows document, but then it would go away. Very annoying but looking back, no more annoying than not being able to install & use the program. I uninstalled Office and now I am unable to reinstall it. The disk starts to run, I enter the product key, click continue, then Install Now, and it says that it is installing. The CD stops running after about 30 seconds and then and the menu just says that "MS Office 2007 Home and School has encountered an error during setup." No codes or numbers. All I can do is close the installer window.
I have closed my antivirus and firewall programs as well as everything else, tried installing is Safe Mode, tried running as the admin, deleted all Office references in the registry, all without any success. Window updates have been installed over the last week, but the latest update to Microsoft.net will no install and has failed several times.
Like I said at the beginning, I have tried many suggestions, but some of the ones that refer to registry keys don't apply to me. I am running on a 32-bit system. Thanks in advance for any help!

doitclean

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I was getting a configuration screen every time I tried to open a Word doc or Excel file. It acted like it was installing Office but would then error out and open Word or Excel normally.
I tried to install Office 2000 instead this AM out of frustration, and started getting this error message: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. Since I was unaware of any such policies (I am the admin!) and I was running the install as admin, I researched this error message and found this link:
http://www.bhcblog.com/2009/03/09/fix-for-the-system-administrator-has-set-policies-to-prevent-this-installation-error/

The second part of their solution worked for me and I was able to install Office 2007. This part here:

1. Browse the registry to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer Create: DisableMSI Type: REG_DWORD value = 0 (0 should allow you to install it was originally 1)
2. Browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\ Search the list for the product that is causing the error.. delete the folder in the products folder… this may also correct your error…

Thanks for looking and for your assistance!

doitclean

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I had already tried that several times and it still gave me the same error. I even tried doing it in Safe Mode and the same error came up.

The solution I gave only helped with some programs so I ended up reinstalling the OS. Haven't had any problems since! Thanks for looking and your advice!