Chipset Running Hot

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
I have finished putting together my pc, and all istallations, and have begun to just put a load on it playing BF2 to see how it handles(i am not overclocking yet), i notice the chipset runs hot @50*C - @52*C, without load its @44*C - @45*C. i dont know what to do, do i remove the fan and heatsink and place arctic silver compound on it or what? i have good airflow in case and my CPU and PWMIC temp looks good and the fan on the chipset looks good too.

AMD 3200+ Venice
DFI lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
Balistix Crucial 3200 (2 X 512)
GF 7800 GT

thanks

aram

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
yea i have exactly the same problem, except mine runs at 50+ when idle!
I just put the system together yesterday and its seriously hot all over except the CPU, which is 31C water cooled.
The PWM is 50+ too, and the memory heatsink and the back plates of the video card almost burns ur hand to the touch.
Nothing is overclocked and all the voltages are at stock. Please help before my shiny new system burns up! :(
The system is:
DFI NF4 SLI-DR
AMD X2 4400
2x1gb Crucial balistix
Leadtek 7800gtx
Thermaltake shark case, with bigwater cooling

thanx :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, as soon as you remove the CPU fan you remove the cooling it provides to surrounding components. I had to add a fan to my huge passive chipset heatsink after I went to water cooling on the CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
well, i am not water cooling mine, i am using stock HSF. one thing i do notice though, i have the video card installed in the first PCI-X * 16 slot, the video card crosses the Chipset(fan) horizontally, could this be causing bad cooling for Chipset?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I'm on another mission to save the world of technology here: Please don't use "PCI-X" for PCI-Express. PCI-X is actually a completely different technology, a server solution based on a standard slot that's been extended to 64-bits and clocked to 100MHz or 133MHz.

I realize other people are making the same mistake. In fact, even some companies use the wrong name. I'm doing all I can to help make things clear, but I'm only one man.

PCI-Express can be abreviated PCI-Ex, PCI-E, PCIe, etc. nVidia has chosen PCX, which is one reason why people get confused between PCI-Ex and PCI-X.

Getting back to your problem, you might need a better chipset cooler.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Use what you like, you don't have to give me credit for something so simple.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
The Evercool VC-RE is a drop in replacement for the stock hsf. No modding required. Weighs at least 2x more than the stock heatsink, is all copper and the fan pushes about 2x more air than the stock fan. As for your temps though, they look about average from what others have posted with the board and stock hsf. With the stock one mine was 45-47C idle and 54-56 load. With the Evercool it's down to 41C idle and about 47-48C under load.

Another "less attractive" mod that's worked for people is take a case fan and point it at the chipset.

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
Looks like I am stable @ 52*C max during load, it doesn’t go any higher, and glad I am not the only one but still don’t want to take risk and have this thing running @ this temp for long time.

I will probably put another 80mm fan in the case and hope this machine won’t sound like a vacuum, am enjoying the low noise right now.

You got a Clicky for the EVERCOOL VC-RE?

-Thanks

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Have you tried moving the HTT multiplier down from 5x to 4x or 3x? Try moving it down, then report back the new temps. Try using 3dmark2001 before and after. I'll bet you'll see less then a 3% difference at 3x.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+ (down)][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][X 2.8x2][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.4x5][P4 1.3]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
Just comparing the specs between<A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1178.htm" target="_new">TT CRYSTAL ORB</A> and<A HREF="http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/vc_re.htm" target="_new">EVERCOOL VC-RE</A> they look even, but the evercool looks more attractive, i guess whatever i find first is what i will use.

Thanks guys<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mihasya on 09/07/05 10:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Unless you're using the 2nd x16 pcie slot, the Orb won't work. At 25mm tall you're not going to get your 7800 in that top slot. The Evercool is around 13mm and there's only a hair distance between it and my 6800gt.

If you're thinking about other options, <A HREF="http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6577" target="_new">this</A> thread might inspire you. I have the Alpha heatsink the original poster is showing, just haven't drilled mounting holes yet.