(MSI) RS480M2 Motherboard

twofethers51

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I just bought a new Motherboard RS480M2/RX480M2 for my system and am unable to find much discussion on this board to weather it is good or bad board. I am thinking that i may have made a bad choose,good news is i have not installed it in the sys yet and have 30 days to return. I am trying to build a system that will last 3-4 years and have the ability to upgrade at that point with less pain ($$$). Could someone be so kind and share there experiances with this board.
Exisiting Case with two DVD/DVDRW Drives 2 additional fans
Processor= AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (venice) 1 GHz Socket 939
Corsair XMS 1gb dimms pc3200
Powersupply ATX450

pat

Expert
No comment might mean no complain and problem free board...

I don't know personnaly this board, but I know that the ATI chipset is very fast and stable. It run cooler than nvidia, which is a big plus IMHO. Chipset fan, on nvidia are most of the time noisy. And it is less picky about memory.

I don't personnaly like MSI. But I think that, if your other component might last( in term of performance) the time you want them to last, then the motherboard should follow.

Remember that the motherboard simply connect all the piece of your computer together. Since it is fast, your other components will probably be the thing that wont be fast enough. So you may have to upgrade your CPU or video card.

I would build that computer and enjoy it. I for sure wont buy a board with noisy to have a few % more in performance. My current board has passive cooling on the chipset. It is the lower priced nforce4-4x. 4x because it dont have the 5x multiplier on the ht that don't make any difference unless OCing. But being passively cooled, it ran hot. but it is stable. so I let it like that. I would use your 2 fans and make them running slower because the CPU and motherboard do not generate a lot of heat. And since you don't talk about video card, I guess that you'll be using the onboard one so no heat generated from video card. This will make for a silent computer that will perform good (unless you want to play game, then the onboard video wont make it but you can add a video card later) and make for a great home entertainement system if connected to you tv or better, you home theater system.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")ώ(")

endyen

Splendid
Have you read <A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1802&page=1" target="_new">this</A>? It's a good place to start.
It isn't exactly an enthusists board, but it is a decent start.
BTW, 4 years from now will see a new socket or two, new ram, etc. Just the same, todays top of the line A64s will probably still be okay.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MSI usually makes fair boards, and it's a good chipset. If you wanted an nVidia chipset board, you'd have chosen the Foxconn WinFast NF4K8MC-ERS, which besides being inexpensive also has top-quality capacitors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>