mainboard for athlon xp 1600 ?

tendercare

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
hello, what motherboard would you recommend for my 3 year old Athlon XP 1600 266FSB?

My old one (which just broke) was an ECS K7AMA3 KT266A/DDR/SND/LAN.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Of those two, the MSI is the choice.

Asus+VIA = Crap.

You <i>could</i> try to fix the old board of course... Rather than spending money now on what is basically a bit outdated.. You could save the cash towards a larger overhaul in the future.

You've probably just got some dodgy capacitors. Look for any that are bulging/leaking, and try to replace them with others of the same rating (salvaged from older stuff, or even bought new - they're really cheap).

My $0.02

---
<font color=red>(") This is bunny's foot. Wingding ate the rest of him. At least he's now a good luck charm.</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
The Asus costs <i>more</i>? usually the VIA boards are cheaper. I'd get the MSI over that Asus board even if it was $20 more.

I still say try repairing the old board first :wink:

---
<font color=red>(") This is bunny's foot. Wingding ate the rest of him. At least he's now a good luck charm.</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Asus+VIA = Crap.
The 880 chipset has dual channel ram, and an almost working pci lock. What you said may be true of earlier via chipsets, but in this case, to be more accurate, it should be
Asus+Via=crap, no capital on the c
The asus A7N8X-X would be my choice, as far as Asus boards go, I dont think much of MSI, too much history.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, I'd get an Abit or an Epox, but given the two presented options....

And you are right about that Asus board. My bad. :wink:

---