New mobo advice needed:

Laxe

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my rig in about a months time and decided to start shopping around now. Currently I have a 2.4ghz P4, 1.5gb of RAM, a Gigabyte mobo (not sure which one) and a Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb) card.

I've got my heart set on an Sapphire X800GT 256mb PCI-E but obviously I'll need a new PCI-E compatible motherboard to use it with.

I need it to be compatible with my two old ATA drives though cos the thought of shelling out even more money makes my wallet cry.
The one I'm looking at right now is a 'Gigabyte GA-8I945P Pro SKT775 1066FSB DDRll PCI-E SATA' which seems to fit the bill quite nicely but I think it's a little too overpowered for my needs. Are there any similar motherboards which support PCI-E and Intel 4 chipsets which don't require me to break out the credit cards? Bare in mind I'm looking at around 300 pounds sterling as y budget (inc. new Intel 3.0ghz processor and gfx card).

Any sort of advice is welcome.

Laxe

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
I see. What kind of chipset would you recommend then? Sorry but this will be my first time replacing a mobo so I still don't know alot about them.

Laxe

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
Cool, thanks for the advice. I've looked into it and all in all it is a more affordable option. One question though; what is the actual clock speed of the 3200+? I've looked at some reviews of the chip but some people have said they've oc'd it to a 2.8ghz?

Laxe

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
Oh right...I was under the impression that it was at least 2.8ghz right out the box?? I mean I have a P4 2.4ghz right now so in essence I'm just paying good money for the same thing?

(Sorry but as you can tell I'm REALLY confused with all these numbers)

Laxe

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
Right ok then lol! God I need to read up more on this kinda stuff! Thanks for the replies!