HOW? Ultimate Doom online

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 30, 2005 11:58:59 AM

HELP... I've just found my old copy of Ultimate DOOM and installed it
on a Windows 98SE Dell PC. It works great. I love it. I want to
play a "MODEM" game with a buddy across town, but it doesn't seem
support my modem. I have an Aztec 56K modem... I even installed an
old US Robotics 33K modem I found laying around, but that wouldn't
connect either... What can I do...? I'm DYING to do a DEATHMATCH.
Someone please help...

Thanks
-Dan

More about : ultimate doom online

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:59:00 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:58:59 +0000, groove wrote:

> HELP... I've just found my old copy of Ultimate DOOM and installed it
> on a Windows 98SE Dell PC. It works great. I love it. I want to
> play a "MODEM" game with a buddy across town, but it doesn't seem
> support my modem. I have an Aztec 56K modem... I even installed an
> old US Robotics 33K modem I found laying around, but that wouldn't
> connect either...

Who are you trying to "connect" to? There's got to be another modem on
the other end, ya know...

Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:21:06 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:58:59 GMT, groove@sonic.net wrote:

>HELP... I've just found my old copy of Ultimate DOOM and installed it
>on a Windows 98SE Dell PC. It works great. I love it. I want to
>play a "MODEM" game with a buddy across town, but it doesn't seem
>support my modem. I have an Aztec 56K modem... I even installed an
>old US Robotics 33K modem I found laying around, but that wouldn't
>connect either... What can I do...? I'm DYING to do a DEATHMATCH.
>Someone please help...

You need to assign the modem to one of the first four (or first two) com
ports. If you can't do that, then Dos applications cannot use the modem.

As always, you're best off using source ports such as ZDoom or prBoom. I
haven't tested modem support but they will work with Internet play.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:25:11 PM

groove@sonic.net wrote:
> HELP... I've just found my old copy of Ultimate DOOM and installed it
> on a Windows 98SE Dell PC. It works great. I love it. I want to
> play a "MODEM" game with a buddy across town, but it doesn't seem
> support my modem. I have an Aztec 56K modem...

You mean you cannot find your modem on list? It could be true, LOL. On
this Ultimate Doom time/ dynasty 9600 bps modems were super hyper fast
and cool. ;-)

Important thing is only you do not use error correction (v.42, MNP2-4)
and data compression (v.42bis/ MNP5,10) your modem. So find on your
modem manual right AT commands for "normal mode) and data compression
disable. Like AT \N0 %C0 on some Rockwell shipset modems.. And disable
your phone line knocking and other Plus Services. On-line is now weak,
becouse you are not using error correction.

But. Modem playing with DOOM is not so nice thing. Client have very huge
lag.

Little better is if you start host modem to modem connection with your
Win98 and then you play this game by IPX/PCX protocol. Not sure anymore
this protocol name. Something like that.

And you have to remember that calling to your friend you both could have
33600 bps connection only becouse 56000 bps speed is only on ISP digital
service. I think your friend do not have it or neither you.

BUT. Download jDoom (Doomsday) and play Ultimate DOOM with TCP/IP and
with nice new graphic: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/. No need to regulate
with init.string etc. Just connect to your ISP/ Internet and start
playing/ fragging or co-operative. ;-)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:50:31 PM

<groove@sonic.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:ql7pv05g745n6va5np0gq5cb0l78rthkuc@4ax.com...
> HELP... I've just found my old copy of Ultimate DOOM and installed it
> on a Windows 98SE Dell PC. It works great. I love it. I want to
> play a "MODEM" game with a buddy across town, but it doesn't seem
> support my modem. I have an Aztec 56K modem... I even installed an
> old US Robotics 33K modem I found laying around, but that wouldn't
> connect either... What can I do...? I'm DYING to do a DEATHMATCH.
> Someone please help...
>
> Thanks
> -Dan

Your buddy has modem too?

What Doom version you're using. Dos or Windows?
--
Petri Piira - Mikkeli
http://www.f1-forum.fi/rata/

I'll second whoever suggested jDoom. Makes online play SO much easier.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen
http://coryhansen.com

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:01:06 GMT, groove@sonic.net wrote:

>I do have a DSL connection on my main computer that is running WIN XP.
>Is there a newer WINDOWS version of DOOM that'll work on XP with a DSL
>connection?.

prBoom, ZDoom, or JDoom (a.k.a. DoomsDay).

They have slightly different methods of starting up, thus you will have to
read the instructions that came with the game.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:59:51 AM

sersetup.exe, IIRC...

I do not remember what name this .exe file was, but sure not setup.exe.
There is right file to run and get menu where to setup modem, line
speed, who call and who answer etc. And you can do this all in DOS
shell, too. No need to reboot in real DOS mode; sure it is better.
January 31, 2005 6:49:23 AM

Thanks everybody....!

I think I'm set now.

I checked out ZDoom. Works great on the WIN XP machine.
I somehow found my way to "Doom Connector" from CodeImp.
It took a little while to get everything setup, but WE DID IT.
Seems to work fine.

We connected up for a quick test and IT WORKED...!

We have a "date" tonight after our kids go to bed to "Doom each
other"...! hehehe...

It's funny... The gal I'm gonna play is my wife's best friend. It
always seemed a little funny "Dooming" some other woman until 1:00am
while my wife was asleep upstairs.
Made for a lot of good jokes around the house.

Anyway, unless there is something I should know about CodeImp's
Connector (like, something bad), I'll close this post/thread with a
very appreciative "THANK YOU".

-Dan

!