PLZ recommend mid-priced Nforce3 Ultra MB

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
HELLO MOTHERBOARD PEOPLE!

Please advise what you think. Preferably Asus or MSI.

SOCKET 939, AMD 64 CPU, AGP VGA CARD

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Just looking for suggestions..

I have a board in mind (not for me)..
MSI Nforce3 Ultra 1,000MHz HT <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130514" target="_new">CLICKY !!</A> $74

I was looking for Asus, but doesnt seem to be any good boards.

Other possible considerations:
Gigabyte K8NSNXP
MSI K8N Neo2 (maybe too $$ recomendation)
EPoX 9NDA3+ (possibly)

Prefer stability over 'overclockability'

<font color=blue>******

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the Chaintech VNF4 Ultra. It's my favorite from all the boards I've reviewed, except for the fact it doesn't have IEEE1394 FireWire. Cheap, stable, FAST, I got mine over 300MHz FSB.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn, I don't have any AGP boards this good to go by.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
Unless you need to get a X2 later or something faster than a 3700+ Skt 754 (2.4 GHz, 1meg cache (Skt 939 4000+ specs, less dual channel)), then I would recommand you to look for socket 754 board. There is much more choice for AGP and the CPU's performance is on par with their 939 equivalent.

Socket 939 will be phased out in 2006 for newer M2 socket with probably better performing dual core, DDR2 or 3 memory and newer stuff. So at this point, I think that going 939 for "future" update is worthless. But if you are going to use the newer CPU and stuff that need 939 now, then I dont know wich 939 MB I'd get. Maybe the MSI, if you get a good one may do well.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")ώ(")<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pat on 09/10/05 12:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
For people who do professional work I would recommend Intel Chipset.

However, this particular system is for games.

Turns out I convinced my friend to go with Nforce4 board instead of Nforce3:
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum and get a PCI-express card.

Thanks for all the replies.

<font color=blue>******