A7N8X-LA replacement?

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
OK, I got this really crappy mobo A7N8X-LA that I got supplied with my hp pavilion a320n, I cant do anything in bios and its not compatible with any ram, ive updated the bios, still no go.

My guess is that I will never get it to work correctly counting the fact I want to switch both 256 sticks ddr2700 to 2x 512mb pc3200, add a radeon 9800 pro and a 480W PSU... having bought all this and realizing my mobo was no use atm and hp offers no help whatsoever since their pieces work together and they just dont give a damn about their customers. Most people have had problem with OC'ing or upgrading their PC's.

My question is if I was to upgrade my mobo as well, would it work with all the other hp pieces that are left? AKA cd drive and dvd drive, mouse, keyboard and all? I dont know enough about PC's to fix this myself so would you guys know if it would work?

specs of my current mobo:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00006476#doc

what would be a decent replacement for this as well? and not too expensive please im a student and ive already spent most of my money on the other pieces

I crawl inside

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It really depends on your case. A lot of HP performance systems put a Micro ATX board in an ATX case. Yes, a smaller board fits in a larger case. If the case has room for 7 cards, it supports a standard ATX motherboard, regardless of what board is in there (Yes, I realize the board only supports 4 cards, it's the case that matters not the board).

If you have room for an ATX board, the Abit NF7-S is a great one. If not...there are a bunch of lesser boards that would suffice.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and all your other parts are standard, except the power supply which is sub-standard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
Only has room for 4... if its that much of a difference I can buy a new case... any recommendations on this? I think I can still get free shipping on tigerdirect so from there would be real nice

Also any difference between NF7-S and NF7-S2? the s2 is like 40$ cheaper on ncix

I crawl inside

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
S2 is a cheaper version of the board, using a cheaper version of the chipset, with a few features removed. It should only be $20 cheaper, which is like $1m canadian (j/k).

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
so you recommend this board?

I might just buy it... what kind of case am i supposed to look for then?

(this ram and graphic card turned out to be real expensive, thx hp)

I crawl inside

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
While most standard cases offer a more accessable configuration, if you have one of the heavy panel HP cases you might notice most cheap cases are lower quality. In fact, most midpriced cases are too.

Inwin and Enlight are probably the best value in sturdy cases, but only when you go with their classic designs, as many of their newer models have thinner construction.

Aopen makes medium durability, mid quality cases, far superior to most other sub-$50 cases.

And if you can find the old steel Chieftech cases, those things are built like a tank. TigerDirect often clearences odd colors of the old Chieftech Dragon for around $35.

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
well my case its pretty good but it only has 4 slots... how do I know it has 7 slots from their description on tigerdirect?

I crawl inside

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like wusy said, they label case sizes, ATX for 7-slots, Micro-ATX for 4-slots.

I have an ATX HP case here, the fat minitower, if you want your system to say "HP". Even though it's ATX, it came with a Micro ATX board...

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
ok its all ordered, dual fan psu, atx case, nf7-s mobo

do i need a fan or something lol... do i use the one from my hp... do i even need one?

I crawl inside

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A case fan? Maybe, but your power supply might draw enough air through. A CPU cooler? You can probably use the HP cooler, so long as it has a fan.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's "on the motherboard" he might be refering to the CPU cooler.

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
70mm x 70mm attached to the mobo

that and the one at the back of the case (PSU??) are the only 2 fans i see....)

I crawl inside

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
well... the current one doesnt... the next one might

so i need to install a fan on my comp also besides those that come with the mobo (is there?) and the 2 in the PSU? Ill go buy that at the shop I think... Any power/speed/anything recommendations?

I crawl inside

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
but my PSU has 2... isnt that enough for this piece?

for the HDD ill check if theres none around it when i dismount this machine or ill buy one maybe... hp cases are made to not be touched by the user so im kindof lost in it with my limited knowledge haha.

I crawl inside

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
but i should be able to run it at first without one? I'll definitely put one if it can be beneficial for my pc, but maybe not right now

I crawl inside

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
really? Oo

ill get one of those huge ones then and figure out where it goes... So for what component should I use them for?

I crawl inside

Khanate

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
"You need to buy a 120mm fan to fit it right under the PSU and another one to fit in front of the HDDs. That should cover it."

Ill put it all together, then see how it looks, then install them, then boot it. Since im not buying those off internet I don't have to take it too much in advance, plus they're cheap usually :)

I crawl inside