Recommend 939 motherboard

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I'm just about to embark on a major system overhaul and am going for an Athlon X2 3800+ to this end I need a new motherboard.
The main priority here is stability, rather than loads of overclocking features (don't intend to overclock).
Gaming is not a priority (just the odd game of neverwinter nights/Guild wars) and the odd game by daughter might bring home so compatibility with the DX9 will be needed.
I will be upgrading the aging Geforce4 AGP graphics card, so I might as well go with a PCI-E card.
The main system loads will be audio processing/recording (cubase)
DVD authoring/decoding/encoding (in the background)
some database work (oracle/sqlserver).
I'll be using 2GB of memory (but would like the facility for more)
Onboard wifi would be nice, but not a priority.
I do not need built in sound as I am in the market for a high end, sound card with multiple ins and outs.
So what do you recommend, do I really need SLI???
BTW I'm not looking at budget boards, I am willing to spend more to get a board that doesn't require constant tweaking, BIOS upgrades, etc, etc

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best board I've tested so far is a cheap one...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

redwingslv

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004
I just got a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D and love it! Rock solid so far, after 24hours of Prime95, every test these guys have recommended. Awesome. I just completed a Pinnacle Studio 9 project of over 2 hours in length, with lots of effects, transitions, overlays, music, etc. and never had a problem (which some people say is impossible with Studio product!!)

I picked DFI not for overclock (although potential is certainly there) but for stability. I am running it complete stock out of the box. Fantastic.

<i>"Newbie" never felt so good!</i>

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
Yes, and I own the ASUS A8N SLI Premium and can't get many of it's "extra" features to work. Seems like many peple on various forums have problems with Cool n Quit, Start with Keyboard, etc. So alot of the stuff on the expensive boards is just fluff anyway. Except like Wusy said, OCing.