Suggestions?

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Antec TruePower2 480
Asus P4P800E-Deluxe
Intel P4 3.0 Northwood (Zalman 7000b cooler)
2 gig (4x512meg) Corsair DDR400 (2x TWINX1024-3200C2PT)
Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT

Had my Power supply (Antec TruePower2 480w) die on me after only 3 months running and was replaced by Antec. It was powering 2x HD, 1 CD burner/DVD, 3x80mm fans, 1x 120 mm fan, and the Mobo/Vid card/Cooler, no SATA, no PCI-E cards(the processor was clocked stably up to 3.6gig, but it started having problems and I thought it was from the hot weather, so I lowered it a couple of times and kept having lockup problems, which now I think was caused by the PSU dying).

Tried swapping out my old power supply (PC Power&Cooling 425ATXPFC) while it was gone so I could use my gaming PC. PC wouldn't boot up, no display, no POST beep, fans however would spin on vid card and processor. Figured my settings in BIOS had been screwed up by the PSU dying, so I pulled the battery and cleared CMOS. Tried a restart, same result.

Pulled the CPU/Vid Card/RAM and checked them all in different systems, all had no problems. Ordered a new BIOS chip from Asus, got that the same day as the replacement PSU showed up. Replaced the BIOS chip and installed the new PSU. Same symptoms.

At some time between the power supply dying and the new BIOS chip showing up I 'upgraded' the thermal paste on the NorthBridge to the Arctic Silver 5 that I had lying around. That didn't kill my motherboard did it? I'm assuming it shouldnt have because the covering on chip on the 865 is the same type as the chip on my 6800gt, and arctic silver works fine there. The only problem is I think I did it before I tore the PSU out of my old comp and moved it over, so I'm not sure if I tested the system before I changed to the Arctic Silver.

Any other suggestions on things to try to revive this system would be nice. Or did the PSU take my motherboard with it when it died?

Thanks

Fink

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Don't think so, not sure. The thing won't boot and I can't check the BIOS to be sure. But the processor is fine, we checked it on 2 other machines. The machine isn't even POSTing.

-edit-
Shouldn't have used over 1.7v, the overclock guide that I went off of said 1.7, so I left it at that.

NYAAAAAH!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by captain_fink on 09/13/05 10:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
-Intel P4 3.0 Northwood (Zalman 7000b cooler)-

It's the 7000b-cu version.

And there were 3x 80mm fans(intake) hooked to the temp controlled plug on the PSU, and a 120mm (exhaust) that ran constantly.

The CPU was never over 45*(and that was on a hot afternoon), even running F@H 24x7 when I wasn't gaming.

I don't think this is a CPU issue... or am I missing something?

endyen

Splendid
The voltage regulators on that board are marginal at best. They may have been what was drawing all your power. The chances are good that they failed, and took out your psu.
Try turning your power on, without anything on the mobo, or anything else connected to the psu or board. If the psu fan doesn't spin up, the board is toast. If it does spin up, connect a speaker, and see what the nasty bitch says. Then start adding parts till the voice reporter goes silent.

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
The voice POST thing never worked on that board... not sure if i had the speaker hooked up wrong on the first boot or not, but after that I just turned it off on general principles. I'm not getting anything out of the video card. I did try taking everything out, CPU/RAM/HD's(but left the vid card in) and it didnt even beep at all. I'll unhook everything and see if I can get some sound out of it.

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Even before I put the mobo back in the case and test this... I know the PSU will spin up, all the case fans and everything will start, I just get no video out and no POST beep. The little LED on the mobo that shows its getting power will light up too. I checked it earlier w/out the CPU in it, but I never tried with the vid card out.

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
PSU fan spins up, no beep, no voice even with nothing attached. Ordering another from newegg now.

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Already checked the RAM and vid card. RAM was checked as pairs, but did the full POST check on my old system fine. Vid card works fine in any other system.

captain_fink

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Newegg rocks. Picked my board up at 8:30 from fedex, its up and running now w/ no problems. Switched out my 3.0C processor for a 3.4E, man those Prescott cores run hotter than the Northwood ones. 55* now under load, and thats with a new Vantec Tornado blowing on the RAM/NB/CPU cooler.