ASUS A8N Premium Question

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
This was posted in CPUs, so I moved it.

ASUS A8N Premium: Just a few questions I can't seem to find answer to anywhere else.

1) Can't get Cool N Quite working, even with power savings to "minimal."
2) Even without Q Fan enabled, my CPU fan speeds up, like from it's 3, 000 RPM default setting, to over 5000 RPMs under load.
3) As far as I can tell, Cool n Quite does not lower fan speed. At least it is not in the ASUS MB manual. It lower CPU heat by lowering it's cloci speed.
4) I read somewhere that you do not need any CPU drigvers for CnQ to work if you have the lasttest 64 CPUs. Can't remember where I read that.

Any ideas?

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah I'm going to instal that tonight, but I've read lots of people have problems with it. I'll install it manually and see if it works.

Wuss, do you know anything about teh X2 4800 CPU using it's on fan speed up process? I'm thinking at this point that without the AMD driver, the ship still moves up the RPM when it thinks it needs it, even w/o CnQ or Qfan. What do you think?

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
It installed. Checked it in sys info, Everest, and CPU Z. In the ASUS C&Q GUI it shows the clock speed increase and decrease on demand. I also enabled Qfan. However, even clocked at 1000Mhz, the CPU temp is still about 2-3C higer than when it runs at its default 3000 RPMs at idle. I'll get back with you on how that effect load CPU speeds.

Next, the power supply fan is not displaying in any of the utilities. The fan ignal wire from teh PS is connected to the MB. I've read where the utilities won't pick up the fan at all if it is slower than 600RPMs.

I want to figure all of the system displays and power display settings. I'm fascinated with being able to see exactly what my system is doing, how fast all of the fans are spinning, heat, memory, GPU, etc. information. When I bought my MSI MB around 4-5 years ago, it has some of this technology on it, but it was nacent and I never could get it working properly with little effort. Back then it was still more a novelty item. But it's a good diagnostics tool now. So I want to get all of my fans on it, including the PS.

I have noticed by checking last night that the rear PS fan spins REALLY slowly, even maybe below 600 RPMs, so that could be the problem.

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
OK, that is so stupid. Qfan and C&Q. I wish they would integrate all that stuff into one section. It also doesn't say anything in the information I've found about C&Q slowing fans down, only the Core speed.

So I'll reboot right now and disable Qfana nd see if the fan throttles too. And thanks for saying to load the driver. After reading peolpe's problems with it, I needed a little ecouragement to go ahead and load it.

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
Doesn't work. CPU fan is runing at 3100 RPMs, and doesn't drop off. Last night without either C&Q or Qfan running, the CPU ran the fan speed up to 5000 though on its own under load. So that's a new one for me.

Without Qfan but running C&Q the CPU idle temp at 1000Mhz is 30C, with Qfan it is 35C. Without C&Q or Qfan its idle is 33C. I'm not getting too much more "cool" or "quite."

So let me ask you this. I've read people using Artic Silver thernal paste can run cooler, for example, dropping from idle at 33C to 26C and the same for load, from 50C to 43C. Have you experienced that or heard any reliable information?

When I installed this X2 I used the AMD boxed fan with the preinstalled thermal paste that comes on the heat exchanger.

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
I rember thsoe days laoding Win 3.0 and 3.11 for work groups. Back then you HAD To do a clean reinstall if you had any problems installing a new system or reloading. I'm REALLY glad those days are over.

Well, I did a system restore and registry backup before I loaded them.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by butthead on 09/14/05 03:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
Good information. Thanks man. Last night running Cool and Quite while playing Half Life 2 my CPU temp never got over 37C. That's pretty amazing. It's a 10C drop while under heavy load. I did noticed once or twice a small stutter when the graphics picked up really fast, but that was out of two hours or playing. It could have been the hard drive too, however.